Iran Air 727 Pilot Complains About Forced Early Retirement

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 8 months

Many of you will recall the spectacular emergency landing of an Iran Air Boeing 727 in Tehran airport last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TDCjhp3Wfk

What you may not know is that the pilot responsible for the amazing landing, Captain Hooshang Shahbazi, is claiming that he is now being forced against his will by Iran Air officials to take early retirement:

http://www.rferl.org/content/iranian-pilot-hero-forced-into-retirement/24742140.html

Reading the above article, Captain Shahbazi appears to feel betrayed by the Iran Air management, and makes a joke about the 10 gold coins that he was given as a token of appreciation.

In my opinion the fact that Shahbazi has mocked the gesture of the Iranian government officials in giving him 10 gold coins, as well as publically praising him, would suggest that Shahbazi feels unappreciated, and that he hasn't received his fair share of fame and fortune. By comparison, Captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger who performed an arguably more impressive emergency landing on the River Hudson in 2009, didn't receive any form of special payment for his actions, and never seemed to once complain about that. Sully and the rest of the crew of Flight 1549 were however awarded a Masters Medal by the Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesley_Sullenberger

I can't help but feeling that Captain Shahbazi is behaving like a spoilt brat in possesing a grandiose sense of entitlement. At the end of the day Shahbazi was simply doing his job. Period. Don't get me wrong, Shahbazi's landing was a spectacular display of airmanship, but I truly believe that any other airline pilot would have strived to do exactly the same in his position, i.e. attempt to perform a safe landing. Somehow, Shahbazi seems to feel entitled to great fame and wealth as a result of simply carrying out his duties.

What a pity for him that he's been shown the door. At least he will plenty of free time on his hands to attempt to chase fame :)

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

would suggest that Shahbazi feels unappreciated, and that he hasn't received his fair share of fame and fortune.
I think you are reading waaaay to much into it. A more likely reason for Shahbazi to feel unappreciated is not that he is underpaid or getting enough fame, it's that he is forced into early retirement.

Member for

11 years 9 months

“Authorities in charge have [prevented] me from flying and have confined me at home under the excuse that I have portrayed flights by Iranian airlines as unsafe,”

I don't see what the story is? He bad-mouthed his company and has been suspended as a result.

Nothing new, a BA steward did the same on twitter last year and was fired the following morning.

Member for

11 years 8 months

It is very simple, Shahbazi consistently violated his company policy and has been "retired" as a result.

The fact that Shahbazi has now gone running to the world's media to cry about it shows how desperate he is for fame and publicity.

It is very unfortunate that Shahbazi has been unable to conduct him self in an appropriate manner, i.e. to have shown disrespect for his company policy, and disobeyed the requests of his superiors. He has brought this situation on himself.

LOT Polish Airlines landed without any landing gear.