A cure for jet-lag?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 11 months

Would you be seen dead wearing this? :D

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/travel/travel-news/cure-for-jetlag-meet-the-ostrich-pillow-20120925-26ied.html

Original post

Member for

16 years

No, in a word. I'd sooner suffer from jet-lag.

Member for

20 years 5 months

There is already a cure for jet lag: The 787 :diablo:

Member for

11 years 7 months

And just how exactly is the 787 going to cure jet lag I wonder? The only way to avoid jet-lag is don't go anywhere.

Member for

12 years 5 months

Oh how I'd like to see the reactions of Duncan Bannatyne & his cohorts if it were touted on Dragons Den :dev2:
(apologies if I mis-spelt Mr. B's surname)

Member for

20 years 5 months

And just how exactly is the 787 going to cure jet lag I wonder? The only way to avoid jet-lag is don't go anywhere.

Lower cabin altitude, higher humidity. The higher humidity will not dry you out so much and the lower cabin altitude will not drain the energy out of you.

And it appears to be working. Lots of positive comments are coming out regarding jet lag on the 787.
One of my mates recently did several long flights with the 787 and said the above, coupled with a good sleep almost made him feel like he never left the UK time zone. He says he loved the A380 for it's silence, but the 787 beats it on comfort and lack of jet lag.
He didn't like the electronic window shade though. Said it was too slow, but that's for another thread.

Member for

11 years 7 months

Jet lag has to do with interruption of your body's circadian rhythm caused by travelling over multiple time-zones. I'm struggling to see how even the wonderful 787 can change that - perhaps only when it goes tech:D.

Member for

11 years 8 months

Lower cabin altitude, higher humidity. The higher humidity will not dry you out so much and the lower cabin altitude will not drain the energy out of you.

I thought this just reduced the passenger's susceptibility to headaches? Admittedly if you don't feel ill or have a headache you can get a better nights sleep - so I guess in that respect it conserves energy?

And it appears to be working. Lots of positive comments are coming out regarding jet lag on the 787.
One of my mates recently did several long flights with the 787 and said the above, coupled with a good sleep almost made him feel like he never left the UK time zone.

That's great until he lands in whichever far flung corner of the world he's flying to... He's had a perfect night's sleep but it's 21:00 local time? :rolleyes:

He didn't like the electronic window shade though. Said it was too slow, but that's for another thread.

Apparently ANA customers have been complaining that it radiates heat, I don't know if your friend can vouch this? According to an ANA report to Boeing, when in tinted mode the dark window pane absorbs a lot of sunlight and warms to uncomfortable temperatures - so much so you can feel the heat on your face.

Member for

16 years

With respect to the 787 (and I really want to fly on one), I think the only cure for jet-lag is to fly First Class.
Given that I can't afford First Class and the fact that those pillows look ridiculous, I think I'll just live with the jet-lag.:(

Jet lag has to do with interruption of your body's circadian rhythm caused by travelling over multiple time-zones. I'm struggling to see how even the wonderful 787 can change that - perhaps only when it goes tech:D.

I think what they are trying to say is that an uncomfortable airplane in which you battle to sleep, higher cabin altitudes etc exacerbates jet lag, and will then take longer to normalize. Circadian rhythms adapt at a rate of around 1 hour per day.

Member for

18 years 2 months

I weirdly found the other week that drinking a lot of water and keeping hydrated (along with a cheeky little 1 hour nap) that I wasn't jet-lagged at all coming back from the US :confused:

Member for

20 years 5 months

Mild dehydration makes jet lag worse.
That is precisely why the 787 will help reduce the effects of jet lag as it has a more humid, thus less dehydrating, cabin air.
By drinking loads of water, you stopped yourself from "drying out" and thus stopped jet-lag getting a complete grip.