Physical Differences: 737C v 737NG

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

One more query thread on physical differences and this one relates to the 737.

Other than the winglet option (which only some NG aircraft have) what is the 'visible to the naked eye' external differences between the classic series of 737s and the 737 NGs.

So: 735 v 736
: 734 v 738
: 733 v 73G

Thoughts anyone?

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

for starters B736 has a larger tail.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Engineering wise they are massively different but from the perspective of visual differences the only way I can differentiate is by looking head on at the engine nacelles. If they are much more rounded it is a NG. The reason the classics had odd shaped nacelles was to incorporate the gearbox that drives ancillary equipment. It also had to be flattened at the bottom to ensure ground clearance.

Perhaps someone more clever than me can post pictures of a classic 737 and a NG 737 head on so we can see.

Member for

24 years 2 months

And B735 ahs the smalles fuselauge.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I just look at the engine pylons. On the classics, the pylons go onto the top of the wings. On the NG's, they do not.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The small engine exhaust pipe is long and pointy in a NG.

Member for

24 years 2 months

This is all a family history, starting with the 737-100. Next came the -200 with a longer fuselage and bigger engines. Next in line is the 300/400/500. It had the same wing as the -200 but with a new fuselage, new engines and upgrated cocpit. The wing on the 300-500 was never really satisfactory, it was too small for the weights of the newer models, particulary the -400 which is a real sled at all up weight. It is really hard pressed to make FL300 fully loaded.

The NG series have the same basic fuselage as the 300-500 but with upgrated systems, new cocpit and a new wing. Also included in the upgrate is a longer landing gear and new engines.

There is nothing left of the old 737-100/200 anymore. It is a completely new aircraft, but still flying on the old type certificate. Saves a lot of money on the certification program.

Hope this clarifies a bit :D :D