Weird QF Flight into LHR... anyone shed any light?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi all. I have been out in my back garden most of the afternoon, watching the planes come over getting ready to land at LHR. Quite a variety: Saudi Arabian 777, Yemenia A310, Nouvelair A320, Iberia A320's, Austrian A320, And general BA aircraft.

One that I did think was a little odd, was a Qantas 747-400. Firstly I thought... why is it coming over on a saturday afternoon? The QF flight's are usually very early morning flights.

So anyway, I came in doors and flicked teletext on, page 444, the terminal 4 arrivals. I managed to track the flight down, flight QF6049. Now for the second strange thing, It was coming from Izmir in Turkey???

It hadn't made a stop over there, not according to ceefax anyhow... it does usually say if there is a stop over in the flight.

So my question for all of you is, why was a Qantas 747-400 coming from Izmir in Turkey?

Seems quite strange to use such a large aircraft on that sort of route. If is was coming from Oz, and made a stop in Izmir, then it wouldn't seem strange at all.

Cheers guys :)

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

For cruise passengers of P & 0. Qantas operate a series of 744 charters in Europe to connect people to their ships from the UK. They fly to the likes of Izmir, Cyprus, Thessalonkia, Barcelona etc. Saves the aircraft being sat at LHR all day.

Member for

24 years 3 months

no plane earns money sat on the ground...

Member for

24 years 3 months

Friday was ANZAC day for the Aussies and Kiwis. The flight may well have had something to do with the pilgrimage to Gallipoli.

Member for

24 years 3 months

cheers guys, appreciate it! :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Qantas designates all charter flights QF 6049.

i think they had a flight to Malta only 2 or 3 weeks back also.

Member for

20 years 11 months

it was a special charter taking war veterans to gallipoli

Member for

24 years 3 months

Re: 744

Originally posted by steve rowell
it was a special charter taking war veterans to gallipoli

Hi steve - welcome onboard!