Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 1 month

interesting wee piece
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19045365

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

I visited dear old Myrtle back in April, first time in almost 30 years. I'd forgotten how enjoyable 'a day on the grass' could be;) I'm sure that others on here will remember, that back in the 70s, we were often treated to the sight and sound of 707s, DC8s, Tridents, and for me, the biggest treat of all, the Eastern Bloc stuff. I think that if you worked in aviation, which sadly after 25 years in it I no can longer do, it was easy to get slightly blasé about being in close proximity to these beauties. As a result Myrtle and I saw each other less often, and eventually not at all. That April day with Myrtle was made possible by my plane mad youngest brother, who had never been before. He was astounded, and it was around 6.30 pm before I could persuade him to take us home to the wilds of South Cambs. I hope to meet Myrtle again very soon, God Bless her:)

Member for

15 years 2 months

Middle aged men? I've been going there since I was a kid.. and i've seen women there too.. so it's not strictly accurate!

It sure is an insight when you work around planes. I don't know how the LHR guys must feel seeing planes when away from the airport, but I know that after seeing a Global Express a few weeks ago at Cranfield and walking around it, the thing looked massive to stand next to, you can't get a grasp for how big they are when they're inflight.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Middle aged men.....well, nowadays that describes yours truly. I agree with your remarks about the Global Express, and about the size of real aircraft in general. Being at Myrtle certainly gives one quite a good idea of size, especially when you're staring an approaching A380 filling your field of vision, oh and the sound!...........PS, like Globals, but love Gulfstreams;)

Member for

15 years 2 months

haha well i'm only 28 so I have a few more years until i'm middle-aged :cool:
I agree, standing under them coming in gives a real good idea of how big they are!
Globals are big, especially the horizontal and vertical Stabilizers. They remind me of a VC10's in some ways.
I've not had the pleasure of standing next to a Gulfstream yet - we've had a few of them in lately but sadly we've had Signature working at CFD for the duration of the Olympics and they have imposed an airside photo ban and only want their staff air side (feels abit like they are taking over our airfield) so I can only shoot from outside the fence for now, even when i've finished work I can't take pics to share due to the ban.

Member for

15 years 9 months

The best grandstand for old and young - long may it last

The best grandstand for old and young - long may it last.

If I haven't taken a collapsible stool/chair I often also use the wall at the far end of Hatton Cross Underground station.

Hats off to Myrtle Avenue as a great LHR spotters paradise.

Another favourite place for me is on the Northern Perimeter Road (even has bus shelters if it rains) at the end where the Eastern Perimeter Road meets it.

Member for

24 years 2 months

At least they weren't 'taking the Mick'