Blackpool Airport

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years

I just booked myself a return flight to Blackpool with Ryanair from Stansted for May 5th. I'm going up out of curiosity really. I stayed at the hotel at Blackpool Airport a few years back but nothing seemed to really happen at the airport other than a few GA movements.

Has anyone flown from Blackpool? What are the facilities like? I'll post some photos when I get back.

I've also just found out that the flight might possibly be operated by a Buzz BAe 146, can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

Martin

Original post

Member for

21 years 1 month

The new terminal is quite neat and an improvement on the old one. I have never flown from there so don't know about facilities air-side. You may see Keenair, FlyBe and there are a few charters operating as well. I think you are right about the 146.

Member for

24 years 3 months

It is a 146 I believe. Could see one or two charters depending on the day you go.

Member for

21 years

Fantastic! Yet another aircraft to tick off the list. I'll make sure I post the photos when I get back. Thanks for your help.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Because when an airport relies so heavily on an airline they will do anything. Think about it, Blackpool gets a proper service for once, the airport wants to promote it and to keep it. It is the same over here in Guernsey. Flybe. have such an advertising campaign over here, a real strong hold through its media publishings.

Member for

21 years

Thanks for that A330! It looks pretty good, I'm pretty interested in the smaller airports that are under used in the UK such as Bournemouth, Newquay, Exeter, Norwich and Blackpool, so I saw the new Ryanair service as a great chance to go and take a look round. I've visited Blackpool many a time but I've always been taking part in national Fencing competitions so I've never had the opportunity to take a look at the airport.

I'm also hoping to travel down to Newquay with RYR at some point this summer.

Member for

24 years 3 months

yep i should see something of balckpool from this summer - hopefully an interesting trip!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Martin... yeah me to. Im interested in the smaller airports to. I have visited Bournemouth and Exeter, both last year in fact.

I am going on holiday to Hastings in about a months time, and whilst there I will be visiting the following...

Shoreham
Lydd
Manston
Lasham

Member for

21 years

I've never actually visited either Exeter or Bournemouth, they are both on my 'to do' list. What are they like, I know Exeter has recently built a new departure lounge. Did you manage to get any snaps :-)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hey again Martin. Unfortunately both visits were only "passing by" visits.

I did manage to get at least on pic from each place... here goes, oh and please excuse the bad quality! :)

First one... EAL 742 line up at Bournemouth... taken with an ordinary camera, hence the distance. But I think they can just about be made out? :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Second pic... Exeter. Taken through a fence, hence the massive bloody great line of wire down the middle of the pic! :mad: BA 146 G-NJIB. Elena, sitting there with only 3 engines.

Member for

21 years

Nice picture, thanks for that. I always regretted never making it down to EGHH to see the EAL BAC 111s. I only found out that they were giving pleasure lfights on them the day after they finished, had I have known beforehand I would have booked myself in. Ah well :-)

I'll probably be down at Hurn a lot during my flight training, OAT (Oxford Air Training) send a lot of their pilots down there in the early stages of training for VFR practise. So hopefully I'll be down there in the next year or so.

Was the BAe 146 down at Exeter for maintenance or had it been retired by BA?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Im not sure. A while back me and Saab were having a discussion about this particular 146. I couldn't find any info on it on the net, nor any pictures of it.

Sad to say I cant remember where our discussion led... Saab can you throw any light on it... if you can even remember? :)

When that photo was taken, there were actually 2 146's there. The one in the photo, and just in front of where this pic was taken there is a small hanger, the other one was in there.

Member for

21 years

Thanks for the info and the pics. I know Exeter is quite a big grave yard for BAe 146s. I've been trying to work out a way to get there from Oxford by air without having to fly myself. It seems to be a very complex operation of getting a flight from Gatwick to Guernsey and flying on to Exeter or going from Heathrow or Birmingham via Dublin. At least Bournemouth is a bit more reasonable :-)

Member for

21 years 1 month

Hi

I also find the smaller lesser known/used airports of interest. I flew into and out of Exeter last summer and liked it a lot. It was lovely weather and had a feeling of arriving at an English holiday resort area. Another reason I like the smaller airports is ease of use, no hassle and friendliness.

Its also interesting how many of these airports were much busier in the past with many more services available. I travelled to Exeter by flying LPL-DUB-EXT and return. It was the only way to get from N.W England to the Southwest by air, it actually worked quite well and I may do it again in the future as I found Devon a lovely county. Maybe there were more direct services in the past, I know years back there was a link from liverpool to Newquay.

Maybe with the interest that FR are putting in airports like BLK, some of these smaller airports may experience a renaissance.

Carl

Member for

21 years

I would love to see airlines like Ryanair really utalising airports such as Blackpool and Exeter to their full potential. I'm really looking forward to taking a lot round Blackpool and I'm now off to the flybe web site to find a connection to Exeter :-)

Member for

21 years 1 month

I hope you can do make a reasonable connection, and get a reasonable fare with FlyBE. When I flew with them it was not that cheap DUB-EXT but maybe you will be luckier !!

My local airport LPL was at one time a fairly quiet place, it has now grown a great deal which is good, but you need to allow more time for parking now, thats the price of expansion !

Exeter is interesting as they have had fairly regular charters to Toronto. I flew from Gatwick to Exeter once with Brymon on a Twin Otter on a very wet and windy morning.

Other smaller airports I have flown into are Humberside on a an Air Uk F-27 from Tees side. Norwich on Eastern Airways from Manchester, Lydd to Beauvais and to Ostend on Viscounts and Heralds by Janus Airways, Liverpool to Coventry on Air Corbiere Metroliner (was part of Air Atlantique)

Member for

21 years

I've been meaning to fly with Eastern for sometime, are they any good?

Member for

24 years 3 months

The 146s were of National Jet Italia. Newquay is actually doing very well for Ryanair with a flight to Dublin and an extra daily flight from Stansted being added. Ryanair has obviously helped the SW tourism and with it now being such a popular place with the costal town of Newquay and the Eden project it is going to be a place to watch for expansion. I suspect Exeter could be into some new Flybe. treatment as well.

Member for

21 years 1 month

Eastern Airways are ok, I'd say nothing special and to be honest the fare they charge between MAN and NWI is very high. I once flew that route and they replaced the aircraft with an EMB 145, ex City Airlines. It seemed strange on 8 of us on it, and route is normally operated by a J31.

They do seem quite a progressive carried and have opened up several routes.