BA's 757... help?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

BA as of late have begun to get rid of their 757's, are all of them to go?

2 have all ready gone to Air 2000, G-CPEP and G-CPEU.

Some (actually a few!) have gone to DHL and been converted into full freighters... G-BMRA, G-BMRF, G-BMRH, G-BMRJ, G-BIKA, G-BIKB, G-BIKC, G-BIKG, G-BIKH, G-BIKI, G-BIKJ, G-BIKK, G-BIKM, G-BIKP, G-BIKV, G-BIKX and G-BIKZ.

G-BIKT is set to become a cargo aircraft with DHL in the very near future.

G-BMRB is currently sitting at Southend, after returning from Tel Aviv, having been fitted with a Cargo door, rumored to be going to DHL or ELAL.

G-BMRI was placed into storage at Southend early last year but according to the CAA G-INFO UK Register Database, it was transferred to Belgium between the following dates... 24/02/2003 - 09/03/2003.

G-BIKF Stood down from revenue service on June 3rd last year and has now been put into storage.

So are they getting rid off all their 757's gradually or are they just doing "out with the old and in with the new"?

Does anyone know of anymore that are due to leave?

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

I cant help you im afraid, but its a shame if they are replacing them. Come on 757, hold out!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

G-BIKB was the first ever BA 757 I saw on the 1st day ever of BA service on the LHR-GLA shuttle route in February 1983. I had to nip away from school at lunchtime to get a "first" look at it.

It was so ultra modern compared to the Trident it replaced, it even made the BBC news that day.

I think G-BIKA was used on the same day to inauguarate the LHR-EDI shuttle service ?

Ah.... happy days.....:D

Member for

24 years 3 months

Here's one in the original scheme... G-BIKA

Member for

24 years 3 months

one in mid conversion to DHL freighter...

Member for

24 years 3 months

and finally G-BIKB... the first one I saw back in 83 but in the original red tail colours in those days...

Member for

24 years 3 months

I always knew that DHL had acquired several of the aircraft, but I never realised about the other 757s going to Air 2000, possibly El Al etc. It's a shame because the 757 looks great in British Airways colours!

Member for

24 years 3 months

I thought they were being replaced by A319/A320.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hey Mongu. Yes this is an extremely valid explanation. The 757's don't seem to be on "normal" routes for its size with BA anyhow... for example, alot of the Manchester-Heathrow flights, Scotland too, are operated with the 757's whilst the A320's that they have are out on the European runs. And over the past few months many new 319's and 320's have come into the airline.

With regards to range between each aircraft, which is better, 757 or 320?

I take it that the 320 is more fuel efficient too?

Member for

24 years 3 months

That's not such a great replacement if that is the case - the A319 seating 124 I think it is and the A320 seating up to 150. If this change is taking place because Airbus are more economical than Boeing, perhaps something new, like the A321 should be considered, then it's not too greater change - the A321 and 757 could be twins they're so similiar.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Dependent upon what time of engine is used by the aircraft, ranges vary, but the A320 and 757 are very similiar to one another.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Still the 757 is slightly bigger than the 321. It seems weird though, I mean BA have only had a few of these 757's for a few years, with the exception of the BIK's registers. But as far as I know the two that have gone to Air 200 weren't that old???

When you think about it, the entire DHL 757 fleet is made up of BA 757's!

Aslo on my trips up to LHR, you can always bet that where the old BEA Trident sits, there will be at least 2 or 3 BA 757's next to it... there always there!?!

Member for

24 years 3 months

5th October 1999 Press Release

The following was released by British Airways 3 and a half years ago. So this answers the question and pretty much sums up what has been said already.

British Airways is arranging for the disposal of 34 of its 53 Boeing 757s to a subsidiary of the aircraft manufacturer.

The 757s, which typically seat 180 passengers, are expected to be converted by Boeing into freighters for express parcel carrier DHL.

Smaller aircraft will replace the 757s with some of the capacity being transferred to 100 seat jets. Negotiations are still underway for these new jets, with an announcement due shortly.

This marks an important step in the British Airways fleet strategy, first announced in August 1998, to modernise the carrier's fleet, increase yields and reduce capacity.

The new fleet and network strategy will allow BA to emerge from current difficult market conditions with lower costs and a young fleet focused on the most profitable sections of the market.

The disposal of these aircraft to the cargo sector will also reduce overall industry passenger capacity.

Deliveries of Boeing 757s to Boeing will begin in July 2000 and continue until March 2003. All British Airways' remaining Boeing 757s have modern Rolls-Royce RB211-535E4 engines.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Bloody Airbus... thats all you see in the skies now! Not that, thats a problem I love airbus... But my fave Boeing is the 757!

Member for

24 years 3 months

This one is for wysiwyg,

Hey wys, nice looking light twins those 757s. Ha Ha.......

Member for

24 years 3 months

I also think the 757 looks great in BA colours whatever the scheme may have been. As I recall they were bought originally as a direct replacement for the Tridents and to be used on the various domestic shuttle routes.

I always wanted to go on a BA 757, but despite using the Heathrow Birmingham and Gatwick shuttle's fairly regularly, I always seem to end up on a 737 or Airbus.

In fact the only 757's I've been on have been JMC holiday flights.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Shame there couldn't have been more in these great colours... G-BMRJ

Wys, do you know if JMC inherited any 757's from Caledonian during the merger with Flying Colours or did they all go back into BA service and livery ? I think the latter but not sure.

Member for

24 years 3 months

G-BMRJ as she is today... What do you prefer ?

Member for

24 years 3 months

The 757 has a better range than the A319 and A320. However both those aircraft have legs also, and I think they actually fly the A320 on some pretty long routes, like LON to THR.

However for the majority of flights BA would need, the range is not particularly the limiting factor.

The rationale, as far as I can guess, seems to be:

1. The 757's are ageing and the was a good chance to sell them on rather than scrap them.

2. They may eventually retire the 737 fleet also. That would mean a big fleet simplification - A320 family, 744 and 772. Much better than at present. As you may know, the 763 fleet is on the way out as well.

3. They decided to reduce their reliance on connecting passengers, so concluded they didn't actually need so many seats as the 757 had.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Interesting that I've seen this. I was just transferring my sightings into the new 2003 book when I noticed just how many 757's had gone.
Shame to see them go, I always liked the 757.

I think the decision of them to go came about shortly after Rod Eddington arrived. BA were using 757 and 767's on their European flights and they were probably too big. When you look at the other major European carriers like LH and AF they all use A319 / 20 / 21 or 737's and so it seems BA has followed them.

Member for

21 years

dan, im not too sure about this...some european airlines use both big and small planes
some examples are:
SWISS- MD11, A330, A32X, MD83
KLM- B767, B737
LH- A300-600, B73X
and others
maybe its just that they're getting old?