If I make it to a commercial pilot, what will I fly?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Being 15, nearly 16, I am hoping to be flying for an airline by the time im 21. I know thats a big goal, but I want to make it. Say I do become a pilot in 5 years time, what will I fly?! I dont mind the airline, and obviously this will count on what I fly, but would I train for an aircraft that isnt fly-by-wire? Or will all the non fly by wire aircraft be fading out. What do you think? My dream would be to fly an A300 or a Tristar, big difference I know. And yes, I do know that there is no way ever that I would ever get to fly one of these (unless I went cargo, and even then I dont think I would). So what do you think?
Regards,
Mark

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

I think you might get a chance with the A300 but as for the Tristar, it's unlikely. Like the DC-10, the Tristars seem to have disappeared from our skies totally. Operators such as BWIA who once operated the aircraft on their long haul flights have introduced new, more modern aircraft to take over. If have just about all stopped flying in 2003, think how many will be left in 2008 - if any.

The A300 has got some years left in it yet (in my opinion). Still a very popular aircraft and one that I like too, never being able to resist a quick take off and landing on a Monarch A300 in Flight Simulator! :rolleyes:

Member for

24 years 3 months

757!!!

for a charter carrier if possible, wud be my dream come true in fact :-)

LGKR

Member for

24 years 3 months

747-400 that has always been my dream, and then my dream came true.
I am operating my first flight in to Paris from Hong kong this week. Can't wait.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Originally posted by skycruiser
747-400 that has always been my dream, and then my dream came true.
I am operating my first flight in to Paris from Hong kong this week. Can't wait.

congrats and best of luck SC!:)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Cheers Kab.

Member for

21 years

I've been told to get 1000 hours of flying time. And guess what BA said they woulkd pay £300 for a licence for me and £15000 for lessons. I have to funbd the rest some how

Member for

24 years 3 months

i was the same as most of you, but i'm a couple of years older. I can't afford to fund my own flying for the moment so i'm taking a contract i've been offered as an Ops assistant at a leading UK Freight company starting in August after my A2s and fund my own private flying. My dream was always to fly the big jets and i suppose it still is, but as the cashflow goes ths may not be a reality for the short ter future - we'll have to see long term when i've funded my own PPL etc!