Boeing to create an aircraft with joystick? How about without fly-by-wire?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Ok, I wanted to know what you guys would think about this.
I hope that boeing continue with the control column instead of the joystick. Will they though? Also, will they produce another aircraft that isnt fly-by-wire? Are the days of aircraft without 'glass' cockpits over?
Mark

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

I think that in aircraft that are less than a certain size and category that we have seen the last of non glass cockpits. I understand that production of certain instrumentation for flightdecks is now cheaper in "glass" format than mechanical/analogue so that may become the governing factor. As far as Boeing and the control column marriage is concerned, In my own opinion I don't think that will change as there is a large percentage of pilots in the US who prefer the column, this was found by Boeing from surveys prior to the finalisation of the 777 spec, as the joystick was at one point a possibility for that aircraft. But you never can tell! I have video footage from some years ago where a senior Boeing staff member stated that "Boeing sees no overwhelming customer demand for Fly by Wire and no airline is ever going to pay extra for it" The rest as they say, is history. It is interesting though to note that pilots flying joystick equiped aircraft in the US seem to prefer it over the column.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I don't think pilot preference is taken too seriously by Boeing. If they opted for sidesticks, the pilots may grumble about it, but what can they do? Only fly old aeroplanes and never buy new ones?

The rationale for keeping the control columns, is probably more that they don't want to keep on being seen to be conceding techincal arguments to the dreaded Airbus.

Member for

24 years 2 months

well, its ergonomically better to fly by joystick than steering wheel. More accurate too.

hangover from the dark ages of aviation, let it RIP.

coanda

Member for

24 years 2 months

Sorry to differ Mongu....The information that I put into my reply, ref US pilots preferences in a survey column vs joystick, was from a video interview by Boeings chief test pilot for the 777 Capt. John Cashman, therefore I have to accept that as being fairly accurate information. I doubt that it has very much at all to do with conceding anything to Airbus Industrie.