Pic of the Morning

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

I just love this aircraft. I love it the more I look at it. I especially like it in this colour scheme. Hopefully I'll get a few pics of her myself when I fly down to Sydney for the week, this coming friday.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

This plane is currently parked up at Hong Kong at the moment.
Just for some useless info, some crew have been air sick on the new A340-600 due to a circular movement of the aircraft because of the long body. Just thought you might like to know!!!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Originally posted by skycruiser
This plane is currently parked up at Hong Kong at the moment.
Just for some useless info, some crew have been air sick on the new A340-600 due to a circular movement of the aircraft because of the long body. Just thought you might like to know!!!!

for my liking this bird is way too long....now what u mentiones Skycruiser...a serious defect in aircraft design?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Looks good in CX colours though... Nice picture GD.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The 340-300 suffered from the same rotational motion (and even the 747-400 does to a degree) so I would think the 600 must feel awful. The 757-300 suffers from large amounts of flexure during turbulence as well due to being extremely long for it's small narrow body cross section (a bit like a drainpipe!).

Member for

24 years 3 months

Nice photograph and have a great trip!

Member for

21 years

Originally posted by KabirT
for my liking this bird is way too long....now what u mentiones Skycruiser...a serious defect in aircraft design?

TEnd to agree with you. Its like a long narrow something or another

Member for

24 years 3 months

Wysiwyg.

If you have timw can you explain what this rotational movement is and how it affects the aircraft please?

Thanks,

kev35

Member for

24 years 3 months

... And is it worse at the back or the front of the plane ? (The air sickness that is.)

Member for

24 years 3 months

I've always thought that seats at the rear are more prone to the "fishtail effect." On a 747, for sure. By the way T5, nice avatar! I was going to use that one, but opted for a little variety at the beginning and pay homage to my favourite Australian carrier that I never flew on at the same time; plus, I'm headed down there, as well.

Member for

24 years 3 months

i've only been sick in 2 a/c, both on rotation and sitting at the rear of the cabin. both happend to be airbus.

A319 and the A340.

within a minute i had the vomit bag up to my mouth.
: :eek:

Member for

24 years 3 months

best place to sit is on the wing, its always a good idea to have a window seat if your motion sick, look out the window and watch the hoirzon, motion sickness is caused by the conflict between the bodies sense of vision and and sense of equilibrium, it tends to worsen during turbulence. you have to keep your eyes on a nonmoving object. like the horizon etc.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Originally posted by kev35
Wysiwyg.

If you have timw can you explain what this rotational movement is and how it affects the aircraft please?

Thanks,

kev35

Mind if i take a shot Wys!:p

Kev aircraft rotation movement is scheduled planning which effectly supports in creating optimized timetables, thus increasing aircraft productivity.

Member for

21 years

I never feel sick if Im on the Wing. HOwever the smell of the nast plane food makes me sick

Member for

24 years 3 months

Kabir,

I think you got the wrong end of the stick my friend.

It's an oscillatory movement due to lateral instability.

SkyC

Member for

24 years 3 months

Originally posted by skycruiser
Kabir,

I think you got the wrong end of the stick my friend.

It's an oscillatory movement due to lateral instability.

SkyC

oh well i just took a shot...had doubts about it myself. Thanx SC.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Originally posted by Gaurav
I never feel sick if Im on the Wing. HOwever the smell of the nast plane food makes me sick

take a boat then...

;)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Kabir, what you describe is aircraft rotation from the perspective of operations, i.e. coordinating which aircraft in your fleet is going to operate which flight to get the most from your available aircraft. It is a key part of every airlines planning if they want to make a profit!

What we are referring to here as a rotational motion is where flexure of the airframe occurs (usually initiated by a slight instability or similar) which then, due to natural harmonics within the airframe create a motion which fells like going round in a circle in an axis which is perpendicular to the direction of flight. Boeing designs tend to show more rigidity than Airbus but the 747-400 still gets it occasionally. When I was cabin crew we used to take our crew rests in the bunks just under the base of the fin and after a while I would get so used to the swirling it would actually rock me to sleep!

Kev35 - my sincere apologies for not getting back to you sooner but I have finally received an answer to the mystery of the interference on my TV set. LHR tower's radar screens were also picking up interference and the cause was proven to be an illegal pirate radio station that had recently set up!

regards
wys

Member for

24 years 3 months

Originally posted by wysiwyg
Kabir, what you describe is aircraft rotation from the perspective of operations, i.e. coordinating which aircraft in your fleet is going to operate which flight to get the most from your available aircraft. It is a key part of every airlines planning if they want to make a profit!

What we are referring to here as a rotational motion is where flexure of the airframe occurs (usually initiated by a slight instability or similar) which then, due to natural harmonics within the airframe create a motion which fells like going round in a circle in an axis which is perpendicular to the direction of flight. Boeing designs tend to show more rigidity than Airbus but the 747-400 still gets it occasionally. When I was cabin crew we used to take our crew rests in the bunks just under the base of the fin and after a while I would get so used to the swirling it would actually rock me to sleep!

Kev35 - my sincere apologies for not getting back to you sooner but I have finally received an answer to the mystery of the interference on my TV set. LHR tower's radar screens were also picking up interference and the cause was proven to be an illegal pirate radio station that had recently set up!

regards
wys

thax for the clearing Wys.... sorry for the wrong description Kev!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Kabir,

no need to apologise mate. You gave a perfectly good description, just happened to be of something else.;)

Wys.

Don't like the sound of this oscillation. I think I would find it seriously disconcerting!

As to the other matter, I'm glad it didn't turn out to be as serious as we first imagined. Thanks for the explanation.

Regards,

kev35