New Ryanair route

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

I see Ryanair are to operate a daily service to Clermont-Ferrand (CFE) w.e.f. 01/05/03. Is this a substitute for the Grenoble service that was dropped?

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Good news to see another French destination. I'm not sure if it is a substitute to the Grenoble flight, seems a bit far from Grenoble to Clermont-Ferrand, so I think St.Etienne would take that place. Probably just another point of good access for the Massif Central for tourists. Seems a popular route anyway, LGW has an AF flight to there.

Member for

21 years

And I'm waiting with impatiency ryanair in Poland!!!
Ryanair- you're thery welcome here...

Member for

24 years 3 months

The new Clermont-Ferrand flight times are very similar to the former Grenoble flights so its a strong possibility that this is just a new destination to fill up that former time slot.

Regards
dan777

Member for

24 years 3 months

I would be certain that you would see possible growth after Poland's EU entry in 2004. At the moment the interests of the flag carrier are protected too much under the Polish government. However, the EU theoretically has open skies so under this low cost airlines will start to flourish across Eastern Europe. Look at Slovenia, Croatia, Estonia, Czech Republic, they are an LCC's dream and soon will probably be accessible.

Member for

24 years 3 months

on the Czech lines prague is quite openly available through Easyjet (former Go route), and bmibaby

Member for

24 years 3 months

Actually yes, Prague has opened up a low cost market. It seems as if the government has taken a friendlier view towards the low cost carriers to increase competition in the market. Generally at the moment Easyjet and bmibaby have quite a good little niche market there between the UK and the Czech Republic.

Moreover, if you look at the success of Prague as a short break city, you can see the potential in places like Tallinn, Zagreb, Bratislava etc.

Member for

21 years

Any body ever been to Prague on a short break., It sound nice

Member for

21 years

Prague is odious and I hope I see Ryanair in Cracow, Poznañ or Gdañsk

Member for

24 years 3 months

Gaurav

I went to Prague on a daytrip in February. It is a really lovely city and in the snow, it looked fantastic. So many nice places to visit, walk, eat and drink in. I'd love to go back for a few more days soon. It is also very cheap.

You should go!

Duesseldwarf

Member for

21 years

I've been to Prague seven times and I love it. I used to have family over there so I was a frequent visitor to Ruznye, but that was before the low cost boom, when I went I flew on BA, Excalibur, GB Airways, bmi and CSA. It's a great place and I hope to go back in the summer.

As for Ryanair, well according to Michael O'leary they aren't interested in entering the Eastern European market, however it has been rumored that Ryanair plan to fly into the Czech Republic into a former military base about 30 Miles North East of Prague.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes, I heard those rumours as well. Actually there was another factor as to why Ryanair are not flying to Poland. Ryanair are Irish therefore they are Irish registered, this means they cannot operate out of the EU until now. Since their acquisition of Buzz they gained a UK Air Operators Certificate and so it is now a possibility that these countries will be opened up to Ryanair.

Ryanair wants to fly to Poland; it is the largest market in central Europe so naturally it is a strong candidate. Poland itself is looking to reach an agreement on transportation by June. The government expects Poland to join the EU by 2004. Therefore the expected expansion of the EU to include 10 new countries in 2004 will open up untapped Central European markets to Ryanair and other Locos. It is a case of once the EU is enlarged, the air transport market is automatically enlarged as well.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Originally posted by Saab 2000
Yes, I heard those rumours as well. Actually there was another factor as to why Ryanair are not flying to Poland. Ryanair are Irish therefore they are Irish registered, this means they cannot operate out of the EU until now. Since their acquisition of Buzz they gained a UK Air Operators Certificate and so it is now a possibility that these countries will be opened up to Ryanair.

How so? The UK and Ireland are both in the EU.

Member for

24 years 3 months

It’s the way I’ve worded it Mongu, sorry. I will explain it again.

Ryanair is an Irish registered company not UK, they have an Irish AOC. Ryanair before the acquisition of Buzz did not have the right to operate outside of the EU from the UK to Poland as an example . Now when they bought Buzz they retained their UK AOC which gave them the right to operate to non-EU countries.
It is the same with DBA and Air Atlanta Iceland.

Member for

24 years 3 months

In Airliner World a couple of months ago, it said Ryanair was very interested in starting a low cost service from London Stansted to Vilnius, Lithuania once they join the EU in 2004. I strongly beleive Ryanair will start eastern european routes once these members are part of The EU.
The Slovakian low cost airlline SkyEuope wants to add 737-300's to start low cost flights to Amsterdam, Paris, London etc - so there is a demand for these type of services

Regards
dan777

Member for

24 years 3 months

Should stop the flag carriers having the monopoly of the routes in Eastern Europe and will probably make them revamp their prices or change their marketing strategies. Though how the national carriers like Malev or Estonian will be affected is what worries me.