China Eastern to LHR

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Sorry, there is not much information on this new service, however, it is quite pleasing to see a new carrier to LHR. I think they already serve Munich, Madrid and Paris? I'm not sure if they will operate the A340-600 or not.
China Eastern will inaugurate nonstop service from Shanghai to London Heathrow on 16Jun03. The airline will operate 3 flights a week with an Airbus A340.

MU551 PVGLHR 1500-1820 1..4.6. 340
MU552 LHRPVG 2220+1645 1..4.6. 340

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

A nice colour scheme and an Airbus operator too, look foreward to seeing them.

Member for

24 years 3 months

CE is the only Chinese operator into India.

Member for

24 years 3 months

All I'm saying is.... I can't wait!!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

(SHANGHAI) China Eastern Airlines, the country's No 3 carrier, plans to start flying to London and Moscow from Shanghai for the first time, tapping increased demand for overseas travel by Chinese nationals.

The Shanghai-based airline received approval from China's aviation regulators and will begin the flights in the second half of the year, said company spokesman Luo Zhuping. He declined to say how many flights the airline will offer on the new routes.

China Eastern joins Virgin Atlantic Airways, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines NV and other overseas carriers flying Chinese nationals studying and doing business abroad. Virgin has hired at least 26 local flight attendants for its Shanghai-London flights, according to the Shanghai Daily.

'We expect more students and businessmen to fly to Europe in future and will improve our service to meet their needs,' Mr Luo said.

China Eastern will use Airbus SAS A340-600 planes on the new routes after it takes delivery of the planes in May, said Zhang Ming, an official at the airline's public relations department. China Eastern ordered five A340-600s.

China Eastern operates 72 planes flying 45 international routes and 155 within China, according to its annual report.

The airline's plan to fly the new routes was earlier reported in the Shanghai Daily
The LHR is very likely to be used non-stop on the LHR route probably to compete with Virgin Atlantic. Not sure about SVO, doesn't seem right. Obviously it is excellent news, with Shanghai being such a developing world market plus the increased demand by travellers, it seems wise that China Eastern is tapping into the market.