Airliner Cine Film

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 2 months

Were you on the spectator terraces or working airside; capturing Constellations, 707s, Comets, etc., on your 8mm cine camera? If so, those little yellow reels of film are getting on for 40 or 50 years old now and they’re beginning to feel it! Colours will be fading or have turned completely red and the emulsion may be cracking as the film gets more and more brittle.

I create vintage airliner DVDs using 8 or 16mm cine film which is professionally transferred to digital video. It’s then colour-corrected and enhanced, as well as having accurate authentic sound added - no music! These colour images of some vintage airliners are incredibly rare. I am therefore in a race against time to find and restore as much of this material as possible, before it has deteriorated beyond recovery.

I do this not only because I was there too, but because I run a small business selling the DVDs I make. Restrictions on advertising on the forum quite rightly prevent me from promoting that business in any way. But what I would like to do is ask anyone who has cine film or video in any format, of airliners from the 1940s to the 1980s, to send me a private message. If there is any potential for it to be used in a DVD, I would be happy to bear the cost of its transfer to digital video and give you a copy. If any transferred footage was eventually included in a DVD, payment would be made for its use, plus a free copy of the DVD on which you would be credited as a camera operator.

Please don’t drag a 50 year old projector out of the attic and watch the films one last time. I never use a projector to watch old cine reels, as the risk of damage is too great.

Whilst I can’t respond on the forum to questions about my own DVDs, I’d be happy to take any general queries about old cine film or the care of old video tapes too.

Original post