Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Viscount / Vanguard

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nordjet415
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Oct 2005

Viscount / Vanguard

Hi all.

Having seen a video of the Viscounts and vanguards recently, can anyone explain why, after landing, the Vanguard was taxied to stand with the inner 2 engines shut down, leaving the outers to taxi to stand, whereas the Viscount shut the outer engines down? I was just wondering with the vanguard if this would have put a bit more stress on the wings, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance

Nordjet
  • cloudpainter
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • May 2009

It's mainly a question of weight difference between Viscount and Vanguard , making an easyer turn with outer power engines for the vanguard...

Best regards,

Michel

Comment

• Doors4
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jul 2011

Any chance of sharing the video with us?

Comment

• nordjet415
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Doors4 View Post
        Any chance of sharing the video with us?
        Hi Doors4. Thanks for responding:

The video I have is in cassette form, its entitled " Vickers Props farewell" great video showing some early footage with sound of Cambrian, Northeast, Alidair, BMA, Airbridge (vanguards) a lot of the video is centered around Coventry in the early 90s where Parcel force had a base.
        I purchased it from TAS at Manchester Airport Its an hours worth of pure nostagia.

The video also features a flight inside G-BFZL from Belfast to Coventry, showing full start up, take off footage from the cockpit.

The final passenger carrying Viscount in the UK (G-APEY) is also featured at Heathrow and Lydd, there is also footage of a V700 at Antwerp flight testing including start up, an air to air of the London London European viscount. The best though is a shot of Virgins Viscount G-AOYP, on approach to Antwerp in a crosswind using various power settings, the sound is fantastic.

There is also footage of start up and take off of the vanguard from inside the cockpit
        If you want to hear the sound of the Darts and Tynes again....this video is a must.

Thanks and regards

Nordjet

Comment

• nordjet415
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by cloudpainter View Post
          It's mainly a question of weight difference between Viscount and Vanguard , making an easyer turn with outer power engines for the vanguard...

Best regards,

Michel
          Thanks Michael, I guessed it might have something to do with power and weight

Comment

• MSR777
            No longer active member.
            • Jan 2000

I have 2 DVDs on this subject. One is called Veteran Turboprops, and the other is called Vickers Props. Both are by Avion, and very well worth seeing.
            "Behold! The Wings of Horus"

Comment

• DH106
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Mar 2006

My understanding is that the choice of which 2 engines to shut down is dictated by which 2 engines have hydraulic pumps attached. Most Viscounts (all but the very first versions) have their pumps on the inner engines and thus shut down the outer ones for taxiing. Presumably the Vanguard has it's pumps on the outer engines.

Comment

• lanners55
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Jan 2010

DH106 is dead right. It was the hydraulic pumps on the Viscount. I never flew the Vanguard but I ssume it was the other way round. Nothing to do with power/ weight

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                X