Delta's Last DC-9's

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last remaining DC-9's in Delta's fleet are the -50 model...right?

I read that they plan to retire all of them (along with the Saab 340's and some CRJ-100's) within the next year. If possible I'd like to see if I can fly on one before this happens. Anyone know the most common routes they fly? Is Airliners.net a better place to ask this question than here?

I don't know what it is, but ever since I was a little kid the DC-9 always seemed to capture my attention more so than most other airliners. The whole series (including the MD-80/90 & Boeing 717) is probably my favorite airliner. I've always liked the 2-3 main cabin layout, and up to this point I don't recall having a bad experience on any members of the fleet (never been on the MD-90 or 717 though).

Anyone else here a fan of the DC-9? To me it will be sad when the Delta DC-9's go although I realize that through the MD-80/90 & 717, the family will be well represented in the USA for quite some time to come.

Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

As a kid, I used to see new North Central DC-9s (10s, IIRC) at out local airport. Great looking scheme on what was a very highly regarded regional carrier. Too bad it was bought out by Northwest.

Later, I few Hughes Airwest bright yellow series 30s.

On my honeymoon, I recall boarding a new Hawaiian series 50 from Honolulu to Kawaii.

Later, I flew American MD-80s...

I can't say anything bad about them...they were certainly ubiquitous. And like the 727s, I thought they'd be around forever.
But in all honesty, I haven't had any really terrible flights which were the fault of the plane.

Member for

24 years 3 months

That's true I suppose...most airline troubles are people related, not airplane. :)

In any case my list of DC-9 experiences isn't as extensive as yours but it encompasses Northwest DC-9-30's and DC-9-50's as well as American and Delta MD-80's. I also flew on a Delta DC-9-50 (former Northwest airplane) as recently as about two and a half years ago I think...I remember thinking that a clean and modern looking interior it had. The outside with the new paint scheme looked great as well.

Member for

16 years 1 month

I agree, the DC-9 is a wonderful old aircraft, if only because it looks so different to the identikit Boeing and Airbus aircraft of today.
I don't know where you could fly one in the US, but I tried to get on an Alitalia example from Rome to Milan a few years back until a stupid volcano messed up all my plans.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I flew on a Delta (Northwest) DC-9 twice. Once from EWR to DTW and once from DCA to DTW, both times connecting to a flight back to AMS. I suggest you try either of these routes. Just check the equipment before booking cause on the same routes they also use 320s, 757s and CRJs.

Member for

16 years 1 month

And, I suppose they could also make last-minute equipment changes.
It's worth a shot, though.

Member for

15 years 10 months

Surely the best people to ask are Delta Air Lines

You can easily find out where they fly today but maybe they won't be tomorrow

Some route might even be substituting a different type on certain days as part of a phase out.

Member for

12 years 5 months

I flew on one a few weeks ago. Atlanta to Nashville...45 min. Got upgraded to first class!!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Nice!

I'm going to try and get on one around the holidays so wish me luck. If I can pull it off, it might be my last flight on an original DC-9 ever (though let's be honest...the MD-80/90/717 are still DC-9's at heart - heck American still refers to its MD-80's at Super 80's...wasn't that the original name? DC-9 Super 80?)

The Douglas twins will be around for quite some time.

Anyone have suggestions for the best desktop models and the best scale to get them in? I was thinking of getting a DC-9 for display somewhere in the house...any suggestions on make or scale?

Member for

24 years 3 months

So would you guys think that 1:200 would be the best size to get airliner display models in?

Any other sizes that are fairly common yet look good?

Member for

18 years 10 months

Anyone else here a fan of the DC-9?

YES :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

So if things hold up, I should be flying on a Delta DC-9-50 here in a few weeks. Is it silly that I'm really looking forward to it?

I'll try and get some good photos if I can. It will probably be the last time I'm ever on an original DC-9. Ironically, on another leg of my trip the aircraft will be an MD-90, which I've never flown on before. I'm rather looking forward to both experiences.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Cooper,

For the full experience, make sure you sit towards the back. maybe not the very last windows, as you'd just have an engine next to you. But if you choose right, you'll be just in front of the intake.. They are great planes, and pretty roomy. I'd take them over a 320 with those uncomfy slimline seats in 3-3 configuration any day !

Member for

24 years 3 months

I'm with you on the seating arrangement. I love the 2-3 layout (or 3-2 in the case of the MD-90 according to Delta's website).

I actually spent way more time picking my seats for my next two trips than I usually do. Unfortunately I didn't choose to sit near the back. I wanted a view of the wing so I could get some photos. Perhaps I can manage to get them up on Airliners.net....always worth a shot! :)

Love the Douglas twins though....they are beautiful in my opinion.

Member for

13 years

Here in Europe the DC-9 wasn't ubiquitous at all. Only a few of first tier airlines used the (Iberia, Alitalia, Finnair and SAS) but some small IT charter companies flew them. I once flew on a DC9 series 80 (md-80) and we enplaned by the rear airstairs, which was interesting. I flew on a Caravelle and a BAC-111, both of which had rear airstairs but, never in use.

The DC9 is one of those classic mainstay types that you think will always grace our airports. And if Boeing had not taken over McDonnell-Douglas maybe they would have stayed the course. Instead the 737 has become the beast of medium haul. :(

The airline livery I most liked was the US carrier Northeast when they had their 'yellowbird' yellow and white scheme on DC9 and 727 jets. That was a pretty paintjob that was copied by a UK airline, also calling itself Northeast Airlines in yellow and grey.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Nice to read that there are a few who also like the aircraft-types and the advantages when it comes to comfort (5-abreast etc..)

Regards

Member for

24 years 3 months

Oh for sure, I love the 2-3 arrangement.

I actually had my first experience on an MD-90 just yesterday, and it was a great flight. My opinion is somewhat skewed as they upgraded me to First Class, but nonetheless I thought it was a great aircraft.

I was on a 319 afterwards...not nearly as great. :)

Long live the Douglas twins!

Member for

18 years 10 months

Here in Europe the DC-9 wasn't ubiquitous at all. Only a few of first tier airlines used the (Iberia, Alitalia, Finnair and SAS) but some small IT charter companies flew them.

During the 1960s European carriers like Swissair, Alitalia, Iberia, SAS, KLM, Turkish Airlines introduced DC-9s and in the 1970s Aviaco, JAT, Austrian Airlines, Finnair and British Midland and others began to use the DC-9. SAS operated the biggest DC-9-fleet outside the USA and the fleets of Alitalia and Iberia were rather big during that time. The impact of the DC-9 in Europe was quiet huge during the 1970s and 1980s and lasted long and it is notable that the majority ordered MD-80s at a later stage. McDonnell Douglas was able to secure a high number of DC-9/MD-80-operators in Europe during the 1980s. The gradual decline began with the decisions by Swissair and Austrian to take the A320-family as replacements from the mid-1990s but even up to the 1995 Alitalia took delivery of factory-new MD-82s. The advantages of the A320-family were nevertheless clear and more and more operators replaced their MD-80s by these fare more modern aircraft and it is interesting to note that most Douglas-costumers choose Airbusses as replacements after McDonnell Douglas died and Boeing lost a considerable number of loyal Douglas-costumers.

Here are the factory-new DC-9-10-deliveries to European companies:

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines 6
Swissair 5

Here are the factory-new DC-9-30-deliveries to European companies:

Alitalia 38
Atlantis Airways 3
Austrian Airlines 9
Aviaco 16
Balair 1
Iberia 35
Inex Adria Aviopromet 5
Italian Defence Ministry 2
JAT Yugoslav Airlines 14
KLM 18
Martinair Holland 4
Pan Adria Airways 1
SAS 2
Südflug 2
Swissair 21
Turkish Airlines 10

Here are the factory-new DC-9-40-deliveries to European companies:

SAS 49 (+ 10 DC-9-20s)

Here are the factory-new DC-9-50-deliveries to European companies:

Austrian Airlines 5
Finnair 12
Inex Adria Aviopromet 2
Swissair 12

The numbers are OK for that period and several airlines introduced used DC-9s at a later stage.

That was a pretty paintjob that was copied by a UK airline, also calling itself Northeast Airlines in yellow and grey.

Yeah, they flew Tridents, right?

Long live the Douglas twins!
:)

Bye

Member for

24 years 3 months

DC-9 Wi-Fi

I felt like I should share the fact that I'm currently at 29,000 feet making this post from a DC-9-50. :)

For the record the plane feels like new inside. I'll post some pics later. Great flight so far!

Member for

19 years

So we're impressed? Too right!! :D