Boeing 787 to Visit AirVenture 2011

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years

Is anyone going to AirVenture? I am sure it'll be worthwhile to get a close-up view of the B787 before it becomes commonplace across the globe.

http://www.airventure.org/news/2011/110615_dreamliner.html

Dream On! Boeing 787 Making Landmark Visit to AirVenture 2011

Dreamliner open for tours for first time anywhere on Friday, July 29

EAA and AirVenture chairman Tom Poberezny confirmed today that the Boeing 787 Dreamliner is scheduled to make a landmark appearance at EAA AirVenture 2011 on Friday, July 29, giving aviation enthusiasts a glimpse into the next generation of commercial airliners.

"We're proud and excited that Boeing recognizes the significance of EAA AirVenture Oshkosh in the global aviation community," Poberezny said. "This represents two significant firsts - the first time anywhere that aviation enthusiasts can tour the 787 and the first public showcase of the 787 in North America."

For one day only, attendees can tour the Boeing 787 Dreamliner while it is on static display on ConocoPhillips Plaza and witness it in flight during its arrival and departure. It is scheduled to arrive at 9:30 a.m. on July 29 and depart following that day's afternoon air show, at approximately 6 p.m.

EAA AirVenture 2011, the 59th annual edition of "The World's Greatest Aviation Celebration," is scheduled for July 25-31 at Wittman Regional Airport in Oshkosh.

The Boeing 787 Dreamliner is an all-new airplane featuring a host of technologies that provide exceptional value to airlines and unparalleled levels of comfort to passengers. It is the first mid-size airplane capable of flying long-range routes, enabling airlines to open new, non-stop routes preferred by the traveling public.

"It's a great honor to be able to share our airplane with aviation enthusiasts," said Capt. Mike Carriker (EAA #505412), chief pilot for the 787 program. "We've made tremendous progress in finishing certification testing on our 787 flight test fleet with Rolls-Royce engines. It gives us a short opportunity to be able to share this airplane with the attendees of EAA AirVenture 2011." Read about Carriker's test flights with the 787

Composite materials, more-electric systems, advanced aerodynamics and modern engines combine to make the 787 more fuel efficient and provide lower operating costs. Passengers will appreciate the cleaner cabin air, higher humidity and lower cabin altitude that combine to help them feel more refreshed after flying on the 787. Other innovations include larger windows with electrochromatic shades, bigger onboard luggage bins and reliable LED lighting.

"Showcasing innovation, the introduction of new designs, and major industry announcements are key elements that solidify EAA AirVenture Oshkosh as aviation's world showcase," Poberezny said. "Large or small, AirVenture represents the broad spectrum of aviation like no other event. The appearance of the Boeing 787 is one of many firsts you can expect to see at Oshkosh in 2011."

AirVenture 2011 is filled with must-see features and attractions all week, including the week-long Centennial of Naval Aviation celebration, tribute days dedicated to aviation legends Burt Rutan and Bob Hoover, and REO Speedwagon in the Opening Day Concert presented by Ford Motor Company on Monday, July 25, as well as the widely popular Night Air Show and Daher-Socata Fireworks capping off "Super Saturday" presented by Southwest Airlines on Saturday, July 30.

Original post

Member for

15 years 10 months

This is the progress the plastic pig needs to make Q3 delivery a reality

This is the progress the plastic pig needs to make Q3 delivery a reality.

Hi ThreeSpool

Thanks for posting this.

It's exactly the PR the 'plastic pig' needs in the public eye with that message from Boeing "We are on sched. to make the Q3 deliveries"

Member for

14 years

Yes, I think you are right - Boeing need to surround the B787 in good publicity now, and even better, deliver the thing.

I still think it is evolution rather than revolution.

Member for

15 years 10 months

A new mobile structure made of composite material is being thrown at the elements...

A new mobile structure made of composite material is being thrown at the elements... It's called the Boeing 787 Dreamliner fondly referred to as the 'Plastic Pig'.

I am going to have a special celebration when I see it delivered to ANA in Q3.

My dream is to fly in it. I wish I had the 'dosh' to go to Oshkosh this year which in itself is a lifetime experience. Some lucky friends of mine go every year.

After first deliveries comes the real testing at the hands of customers and until then real problems (including some show stoppers will not materialise).

Let's face it the material is known about academically and in practical usage on terra firma but until that Dreamliner begins flying all over in all types of conditions with varied handling and maintenance the industry will not get an opportunity to develop tests, improve quality and solve problems as yet un foreseen.

So you are right an evolution.

I was just exchanging email with my cousin who moved as a 1st Officer from SAS to Norwegian and now is back to SAS, about Norwegian taking RR total Care Package (1st time Norwegian have chosen RR engines) for the nine Dreamliners Norwegian are buying 1st delivery due 2012.

I have posted this topic as a thread but here's the URL again
http://www.rollsroyce.com/civil/news/2011/norwegian_trent_100_services.jsp

Member for

14 years

Boeing do have years of practical composite experience. Some may argue, that their experience with composites in a military application are more valuable and telling. They are obviously convinced, otherwise they wouldn't have done it. You don't take such bold steps without testing first.

Member for

19 years 5 months

I still think it is evolution rather than revolution.

Any other airliners out there with that level of composites?
I haven't been paying much attention to the commercial world.

Somehow, if it were an Airbus, I doubt if Europeans would be calling it the "Plastic Pig". Or even the "Plastic cochon".
Fanboyism is alive and well...

Member for

14 years

To answer your question directly, no. However, it's not revolutionary. Composites have been used in primary structure for decades. Boeing have just went a step further and used it in the wings and fuselage.

I am not an Airbus/Boeing/Bombardier/Embraer, etc fan-boy!

Member for

15 years 10 months

The wings and fuselage in composites put it right in the new testing frame...

Composites have been used in primary structure for decades. Boeing have just went a step further and used it in the wings and fuselage.

Absolutely.
The wings and fuselage in composites put it right in the new 'testing frame' with the customers soon 'bashing' it about under varying conditions.

Personally I see nothing wrong in being a fan of Boeing after all they have been there in both civil and military before Airbus. Having said that I happily fly on Airbus too.

There is room for both.

Member for

24 years 3 months

In case Oskosh is too far away, and since this is mainly a European board I´d imagine that´s the case for most, the plastic pig will also be at the Paris Air show. Along with two B747-8s, one pax one and cargo version. June 20th to 26th, public days are from 24th to 26th.

Member for

14 years

Are you heading to the Paris Air Show tenthije?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes, saturday 25th.

Member for

14 years

Can those of us unfortunate enough to be busy with less interesting stuff expect a little photo thread? Please. :)

Member for

19 years 5 months

To answer your question directly, no. However, it's not revolutionary. Composites have been used in primary structure for decades. Boeing have just went a step further and used it in the wings and fuselage.

It will be revolutionary if most/all future aircraft in its class are all composite.
What's the structure of the A350 going to be?

Of composites turn out to be a fad (does anyone expect that?) then no...it won't be revolutionary, merely evolutionary.

Was the Comet revolutionary?
Of course, BUT recall jets had been around for a decade and its fuselage was little more advanced than the latest pressurized prop airliners (Lockheed Constellations, Boeing Stratocruisers and Douglas DC-6s).
By your definition we can say the Comet was not a big deal since it merely mated the two advances together.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Can those of us unfortunate enough to be busy with less interesting stuff expect a little photo thread? Please. :)
That is the plan, assuming the weather cooperates a bit.

Member for

15 years 10 months

Do you know if the Plastic Pig is staying for the whole Paris Air show

In case Oskosh is too far away, and since this is mainly a European board I´d imagine that´s the case for most, the plastic pig will also be at the Paris Air show. Along with two B747-8s, one pax one and cargo version. June 20th to 26th, public days are from 24th to 26th.

Do you know if the Plastic Pig is staying for the whole Paris Air show, ie 20-26th June?

If so lucky French is all I can say,:cool: as last year at Farnborough it only did the Day1 and Day 2 of the Trade Days and poor me was there on both public days.

If I hadn't just graduated and am waiting to get in to a full time graduate job I'd be off to France for the week as I have friends over there.:(

Never mind Farnborough in 2012:D

Member for

14 years

It will be revolutionary if most/all future aircraft in its class are all composite.
What's the structure of the A350 going to be?

Of composites turn out to be a fad (does anyone expect that?) then no...it won't be revolutionary, merely evolutionary.

Was the Comet revolutionary?
Of course, BUT recall jets had been around for a decade and its fuselage was little more advanced than the latest pressurized prop airliners (Lockheed Constellations, Boeing Stratocruisers and Douglas DC-6s).
By your definition we can say the Comet was not a big deal since it merely mated the two advances together.

The Comet was revolutionary because it started the change in air travel; places could be got to quicker and cheaper, which open air travel to more people. The 707/DC-8 took it further, and the B747 was the ultimate step in opening air travel.

The B787 - whilst a technological marvel - is evolution.

It would be revolutionary if it dramatically slashed operating costs, it's not.

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Member for

15 years 10 months

Crowds celebrate 787's debut landing in Asia

Boeing and ANA Begin 787 Service Readiness Validation in Japan

Crowds celebrate 787's debut landing in Asia
http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1825

"The 787 debuted in Asia yesterday (03 June 2011) with a landing at Haneda Airport in Tokyo at 6:21 a.m. (local time)......
....Boeing plans to deliver the first 787 to ANA in the August to September timeframe."

Member for

17 years 6 months

There is primary structure and then there is primary structure. To me, using composites in the wings and fuselage as primary structure (spars, ribs, formers, stringers, skin, etc.) is revolutionary. It doesn't get any more primary that wing spars does it?

Also, the new systems on the airplane (bleedless engines, electric brakes, etc) I consider revolutionary.

Having said that, I do agree with the post that said it the 787 will only be revolutionary if what follows it adopts the same features. Personally, I believe that Airbus is being very wise in utilising composites as primary structure but retaining traditional systems (like the airconditioning packs for example). 10 years from now, if the new systems have been proven to be more reliable, then perhaps Airbus and I will have egg on our face, but I doubt the improvement will be that significant.

Finally, from an aesthetic point of view, I absolutely hate the nose on the 787. Viewed from the side it looks like a slab.....its very blunt, somewhat like a semi-truck from the 1970's. I don't think you can beat the nose of the 757, other than perhaps the L1011, which had the most attractive visage of any commercial airliner ever built. All mho.

Member for

15 years 10 months

They can improve the nose on furture Boeing composites

They can improve the nose on furture Boeing composites. Let's see it delivered to customers (who can test it to destruction) before we worry about 'nose jobs'.

Sure Boeing can make cosmetic changes in the future to future versions or newer models.