A Done Deal?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 6 months

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13373638

Original post

Member for

14 years

A kick in the teeth for every one else who have had to take pay-freezes, and cuts just to keep their job.

Member for

18 years 6 months

All I will say on this matter is that I am glad it is finally over, and am happy that both sides have finally seen sense and been mature enough to get around a table, work out their differences and agree on a package that benefits everyone.

That said though, I still maintain that there needs to be a radical re-think/change in the corporate culture at BA, and this needs to happen at the top!

A kick in the teeth for every one else who have had to take pay-freezes, and cuts just to keep their job.

I am due to vote soon on whether or not to accept a 4% pay-rise this year.

I am still not 100% decided which way to go as I need to hear what is said at the meeting next week, but at this stage I think I will more than likely choose to accept that whilst 4% isnt a great offer, its certainly better than nothing at all...

In an "ideal world", if you take the high rate of inflation and increasing costs into consideration, a 4% pay-rise does in fact mean that I am loosing out, but again I have more or less chosen to accept that this is not an "ideal world", and there are people out there who are in a much worse position than me so I should consider myself to be very fortunate.

That said though, at the end of the day the company I work for is still due to make a profit (albeit a very small one!), so why should I not reap the benefits if my hard work has helped contribute to this?!

Member for

20 years

In what way, exactly?

My salary is currently frozen, but I don't feel that I've been kicked in the teeth by this.

It's just a shame that it's taken so long for common sense to prevail - on both sides.

Member for

20 years 6 months

That said though, I still maintain that there needs to be a radical re-think/change in the corporate culture at BA, and this needs to happen at the top!

Couldn't agree more. They should sack troublemakers next time and when the remove optional perks, don't re-instate them before the strikers get back to work.

Member for

14 years 6 months

Presumably the passengers will pay for it at the end of the day. Is it necessarily a good deal for everyone, though.

Cloud 9 - 4%. Is it even worth consideration? Many, many people are getting nothing or far less. Take it while you can - there might not be anything next year!;)

Member for

18 years 6 months

Couldn't agree more. They should sack troublemakers next time and when the remove optional perks, don't re-instate them before the strikers get back to work.

I don't think we do actually do agree here Bmused...or perhaps I didn't get my point across correctly.

I think the key thing to take from today's events is in fact that both sides have seen a change...in terms of the CEO at BA and the leadership of the Union.

It is/was clear that WW's brash, combative "we will not budge an inch" approach to the situation meant that he and the Unions were never going to see eye-to-eye, and had he of still been in charge at BA today, I very much doubt that we would have had the result that we currently have.

The change in leadership on both sides has managed to bring about a new and fresh chance to end this bitter dispute...and it is blatentantly clear to me and has always been so that if you actually chose to negotitate amicabily and sensibly, a result can be agreed upon that is benefital to all.

Again, I re-emphasise the points I raise in my previous arguments...you cannot simply sack somone for taking part in a legally binding strike...and in answer to your last point about not giving the perks back to the strikers until they returned to work, well they returned to work as soon as the strike ended last year, so had they [BA] re-instated travel perks last year, maybe, just maybe this whole saga could have been sorted and ended by then?

Member for

14 years

In what way, exactly?

Well, the company had a hard line with other employees and forced pay changes. These militant cabin crew not only caused massive chaos, negative publicity, but if they persisted would have put peoples livelihoods on the line. There are lots of great crew out there who love their job and their company.

Sorry, I agree with Sandy - boot the ******* out and give the job to people who do want it. People who have been made redundant, families to support and bills to pay.

Member for

20 years

Sorry, I agree with Sandy - boot the ******* out and give the job to people who do want it. People who have been made redundant, families to support and bills to pay.

You don't have to apologise for having an opinion.

Happily, the law - including employment law - isn't made up as we go along.

Anyway, what's done is done.

In the here and now, both sides have seen sense and reached an agreement.... however late in the day.

Any reasonable person should be satisfied with that.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Up to when I lost my job in aviation last December, due to some sight loss, I had not had a pay rise for 3 years, and to their credit, neither had my bosses. Still, better to accept that and stay in my job that I loved so much, than to engage in practices that may have bankrupted the very source of my income, and alienated our clientele.

Without doubt, someone is going to have to pick up the tab for this settlement somewhere. I wonder how the BA folk at LGW are feeling. Leaving aside the whys and wherefores of the dispute, it sets a president, and the worrying thing for the BA management, and the managements of some other airlines come to that, ought to be that this could, no, will happen again.

cloud9, take that 4% and be grateful. You are in a fortunate situation, whereby you are having to think about it, I presume the fact that you are thinking about it, means that you may not think that it is enough. Lucky man.

Member for

14 years 6 months

Your last paragraph echoes my earlier post exactly. It astonishes me that there is so little awareness of the realities of economic life in 2011 UK. And it will get worse as inflation soars up to 5% and maybe beyond - who knows? Certainly NOT the Governor of the BoE!!