Lo Cost airline additional charges

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 9 months

Good Morning

I have been browsing the usual suspects for a flight for two people from the North West to Faro for March 2012. I have now booked the flights with Easyjet. I have noticed new charges appearing on the price of tickets. Im very suprised indeed to see that Jet2 are now charging an onlice check in fee, which doubles if you want to check in at the airport (£20/40). Also since when did Ryanair start making a Delay/Cancellation levy?

Thanks

Steve

Original post

Member for

18 years 9 months

JET2 are a ripp off. Some of their prices are higher than Thomson/Thomas Cook.

Are they really a low cost airline ?

Member for

18 years 6 months

Tommy, you can often find that some low cost (e.g. Ryanair) prices are more expensive than full-service (e.g. BA) airlines, however it doesn't mean the LoCo airline is not a 'low cost airline'. Jet2's business model is still that of a Low Cost airline, despite occasionally being undercut by other airlines.

Member for

20 years

I think there is a basic misunderstanding here.

The term "lo-cost" refers to airlines who constantly trim their operating costs as much as possible in order to maximise profits.

Despite popular belief, it does not refer to the level of fares paid by the punters.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes low-cost and low-fare are 2 different things.

Member for

18 years 7 months

Well Jet2.com has to be able to somehow claw back the revenue that it looses from selling so many seats at "below" the true cost, so thats why you now see them charging for other things. This fee to "check-in" you mention is a scandal, and in reality the airline should not be able to charge for this because you, as a passenger, are required to check-in for a flight if you want to travel, so they are instantly making an extra £20-£40 off you for doing something you are compelled to do if you choose to travel with them...

Of course, those of the LCC lovers brigade will say "Its your choice to travel with them, so pay up!", and rightly so...which is exactly why I choose not to travel with them and other similar airlines, because I do not believe in having to pay for something that should be covered in the cost of the overall ticket price that I pay when I book my flights.

In a very similar to the case, Ryanair in Spain have been told they are no longer allowed to charge customers in order to print a boarding pass at the airport if turn up without one because customers legally need to be in possesion of a boarding pass in order to get on the flight...FR of course had one of their usual hissy-fits, withdrew aircraft from a particular airport (Girona, I think, but I stand to be corrected?), and are now trying to dispute this ruling by taking it to the European Courts...hopefully they'll loose!:D

So, in theory, the same could be applied to Jet2.com and their so-called "check-in" charge.

Lastly, it was officially announced at the end of March that FR were introducing a refund levy...http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-to-introduce-eu261-compensation-levy-of-2-euro