Parking at Southend

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 5 months

I have just booked a short holiday around the Waterford area at the end of July and will be flying out of Southend (for old times sake!).

Apparently parking is free at the moment although there are plans to upgrade the car park and then charges will be then brought in.

According the the website this is likely to happen "in the near future"! Does anyone know how far the "near future" is away?

Original post

Member for

18 years 6 months

You would probably be best to call the airport itself and ask them for that kind of information, especially if their website is lacking in clarity.

I would imagine they would probably make improvements to the car park before the end of July so that they can make some additional revenue from those that are choosing to fly from the airport during the peak of the summer months, but this is of course just pure speculation at this stage.:)

Member for

18 years 2 months

I wouldn't be surprised if car parking remains free until the new terminal opens in October. At present there are no ticket machines or other means of taking payment in the car park to the East of the old terminal that is being used for passenger parking. That car park was built only a couple of years ago and used by Fords I believe, so a payment/ticketing facility wasn't required.

I suspect SEN have enough work on their plate as it is without worrying too much about upgrading that car park.

By the way Gooney Bird, my wife and I spent a short holiday in Waterford at the end of March (flying from SEN of course!) and we enjoyed it very much.

Member for

18 years 5 months

Thanks for your responses chaps.

Expressflight - The cabin baggage allowance on these flights seem very tight. How strict did they appear to be? Last year I flew Luton - Galway with them and I made sure our bags were well within the limits stated. However many other people had bags that were obviously way over the limit and they seemed to get away with it!

Member for

18 years 8 months

Stansted Airport have commercial flights now :eek:

I thought last time they did was when Air Malta visited with the 737-200 back in the 90's.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Stansted Airport have commercial flights now :eek:

You seem surprised Tommy...Stansted has had commercial flights for years...we're talking about Southend!;)

Member for

18 years 2 months

Gooney Bird

When I flew at the end of March they were quite strict at check-in. The people in front of us said they had only hand baggage, but this was found to be over the weight limit by several kilos so they had to pay for it as hold baggage. Things might be a bit more flexible now, but I wouldn't risk it.

Over the past few years I used to try to limit myself to just hand baggage for trips but found I was getting obsessive about what I could take and what I couldn't (plus which additional purchases I couldn't bring back), which wasn't good for my blood pressure, so I gave in and now check in one bag for the two of us. We fly Cityjet DOL to LCY because of their free bags policy and 'old style' cabin service even if it is slightly more expensive than the alternatives.

Member for

18 years 5 months

So it sounds like same clothes, change of underwear and a tooth brush! Perhaps I should have paid for one hold bag between the two of us, but I was annoyed at being charged £5 per person each way to use either my debit card or credit card!

Still at least the free car parking should save us a few quid!

Member for

18 years 5 months

Talk about sod's law.

I am flying off to Waterford in a couple of weeks and was expecting to park free of charge right outside the terminal.

I have just found out that the new station is due to open on Monday with an adjacent brand spanking new car park.

Therefore not only will I have either have to walk or catch the courtesy bus from the new car park, but I will also be charged £6 per day for the privilege!

I thought it was too good to be true!

Member for

19 years 3 months

I'm not so sure that the 'old' car-parks will be charged for by then, no work is in evidence of this at this stage. My guess would be not for a while yet.

Member for

14 years 1 month

At the moment those travelling to Ireland (I believe) are using the former
"Flightline" car park, by the old control tower. I imagine this will still be the
case, at least until the new terminal opens. Which will be some time yet..

Member for

18 years 5 months

Thanks chaps. However the followimg extract has been taken from the Southend Airport website:-

"On arrival you will find secure parking adjacent to the terminal building. As part of our development programme these car parks are being further upgraded and ultimately will become capacity controlled but for the time being, customers can take advantage of secure, FREE airport parking. Our car parks will be unlocked and open for 2 hours before each departure and for 1 hour after each arrival.

Please note however, that car parking charges will be introduced from 18th July 2011. Please click here for car parking charges. Passenger parking will also move to the new car park adjacent to the new rail station. This is a short walk from the current terminal or passengers may use the shuttle bus for the short transfer until the new passenger terminal opens in Autumn".

Member for

18 years 2 months

I would have thought that £6 per day or £35 per week was still pretty reasonable, being 50% of equivalent parking at STN. As far as I know the charges and change of parking arrangements do start on the 18th July.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Apart from the car park at the new station, I don't know the other car parks
which will incur a charge. I imagine the cost of parking in the secure car park,
will be a chargeable option when booking. If it isn't already.

At the moment they run two aircraft on Monday and Friday, and one aircraft Tues,Wed,Thurs.

Member for

18 years 5 months

I assume that it is normally an ATR72?

Member for

14 years 1 month

The free car park is no longer available to passengers. They have to use the
station car park.
A friend found this out on Monday, when he arrived to fly out to Ireland.
So he drove straight home and got a taxi back.

His flight was then delayed an hour and three quarters due to ATC problems at London.