A.380 hits plane at JFK.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years

No serious damage but some passenger delays!

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/04/11/new.york.plane.incident/index.html?hpt=T2

Original post

Member for

14 years 8 months

watch this one the report has a rolling error with it
and
who will the Fench blame for this?

Member for

15 years 10 months

It's like a giant shark getting rid of the minnows - unfortunately shark is bruised

It's like a giant shark getting rid of the minnows - unfortunately shark is bruised too.:rolleyes:

Not a good way to get rid of small fry.:D

Member for

16 years 8 months

That must have come as one hell of a shock to the passengers and crew on the CRJ700!

Member for

20 years

...who will the Fench blame for this?

What a silly comment. :rolleyes:

Why would "the Fench" look to blame anyone?

Any blame that exists will rest with the A380 crew, the CRJ crew, local ATC, or any combination thereof.

Let's wait for the outcome of the inevitable investigation, shall we?

ps..... I love the phrase "regarded as the world's biggest passenger jet" in the CNN story. :)

Member for

19 years 5 months

What speed was he taxiing at?!! Whilst it would not have avoided the collision traveling at that speed at night is not right.

Rgds Cking

Member for

24 years 3 months

@Lance: Clearly you have missed the new triple-decker A320. :cool:

Member for

16 years 8 months

Any blame that exists will rest with the A380 crew, the CRJ crew, local ATC, or any combination thereof.

Just going from the video it looks to me like an airport fault, they must have to co-ordinate aircraft ground movements to enure each aircraft is an area clear of another one moving, even if the one moving has a greater span than usual.

The staggering thing is how the A380 moved the whole CRJ like it was a toy rather that ripping a chunk out of its tail or losing its own wingtip, I wouldn't have liked being onboard that 700 at all!

Member for

15 years 2 months

I wouldnt of wanted to of been on that CRJ!

Member for

19 years 5 months

There goes Air France's No Claims Bonus.

Member for

13 years 5 months

The Aviation Safety Network report is at http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=121690 and is worth a look.

Hmmm...why do I keep thinking of those ads that go "Had an accident? Not your fault? Call Claims Direct - we'll get you 100% compensation!"

(Semi seriously: I wonder how many on board the CRJ700 will be putting in claims for "whiplash injuries"?

Member for

16 years 1 month

What speed was he taxiing at?!! Whilst it would not have avoided the collision traveling at that speed at night is not right.

Rgds Cking

You're right. He was really tanking it.

Member for

17 years 11 months

Damn it where's the "Like" button when you need it :D

but yeah it must have left the Flight Deck crew a bit dazed in the CRJ :S

Member for

24 years 3 months

since 2000 they've written off a Concorde, an A340 and an A330. I would hazard a guess that their no claims bonus ain't worth all that much.

(Semi seriously: I wonder how many on board the CRJ700 will be putting in claims for "whiplash injuries"?
Like I once joked insurance companies should be allowed to buy advertising space on the outside of winglets: "if you can read this, call us at 0800-CRASH for a good settlement!".

As for who is to blame, too early to tell. Could be the Air France crew, could be the Delta (Comair) crew. It's even possible neither of them is fully to blame, but that blame lies with ground control or apron control.

It does show why it is important to keep the seat belts tightened untill instructed by the crew it is safe to take them off!

Member for

15 years 10 months

Some interesting technical facts in this blog ....

Some interesting technical facts in this blog ....
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/flyingwithfish/2011/04/12/when-an-airbus-a380-and-a-bombardier-crj-700-meet-%E2%80%A6/

".....With the Comair CRJ-700 on Taxiway Mike, Air France Flight 7, an Airbus A380-800 (388) was taxing on Taxiway Alpha towards its departure runway....
......but at the moment one question seems to stand out … where exactly was the Comair CRJ-700′s tail?...
.....With the Airbus A380 on Taxiway Alpha, taxing on the centerline, its wingspan of 261.6 feet should not have extended beyond the 284 foot width of Taxiway Alpha.....
......Watching the video and listening to Tower audio of the incident of the incident, it appears that the controller in the tower did not properly space the aircraft to ensure that the Comair CRJ-700 was full onto Taxiway Mike before allowing the Air France A380 to cross the intersection."

Member for

18 years 10 months

Was that enough force to write-off the CRJ-700?

Member for

15 years 10 months

Some more interesting facts of the area where the collision occurred

Some more interesting facts of the area where the collision occurred

http://www.eaa.org/news/2011/2011-04-12_airbus.asp

It includes some diagrams and a satellite image of the collision area.

"........The length of taxiway Mike from the north edge of Alpha, across the perimeter road to the beginning of the ramp area, is very short. It is unclear where exactly the CRJ was stopped in this area and for how long. When given instructions to taxi to a ramp area, aircraft are not supposed to stop on taxiways unless they advise ground control ahead of time. The Delta ramp area may have been too congested for the CRJ to fully clear the taxiway.

In the case of the Airbus, all aircraft in motion are to ensure that their movement will not cause a collision. From the center of an A380 to one of its wingtips is 130.9 feet. The NTSB will look into the circumstances of this collision and future issues such as if Alpha taxiway is an appropriate route for the A380 and other larger aircraft. ........."

Member for

15 years 5 months

I'll leave the assigning of responsibility or fault to the authorities, but it's already pretty clear what happened based on what's been reported so far. The Comair jet never cleared taxiway Mike because their gate area wasn't clear. Did they alert the controller they weren't clear? Were they required to? They held short while waiting for the equipment to be cleared with their tail still too close to Mike, at least for an oversized jet like the A380. The AF A380 came along at what appears to be a fairly rapid rate. I have no idea if he was moving too fast, that is for authorities to decide.

The limiting A380 design factor for use at current airports wasn't runway length or even MTOW, it was width of taxiways and size of gate areas. There are still areas like this at many airports where the margins are just too close when it comes to the A380. If there had been a fire there would have been nearly 600 people at risk in just seconds. I've seen the emergency evacuation test footage for the A380 and I know they passed, but I sure wouldn't want to be one of 525 people trying to escape an A380 with a transcontinental fuel load, while burning on the tarmac. I don't like Airbus aircraft for dozens of technical reasons, and while the A380 is a beautiful aircraft I don't ever want to fly on one. Way too many people on board.

Member for

15 years 10 months

Each time I watch the video I must admit it takes me back to childhood Dinky Toys

Each time I watch the video I must admit it takes me back to childhood Dinky Toys.

I had a Super Constellation, Avro York, Vickers Viscount and many others and my father had kindly constructed for me out of plywood a complete airport with hangars, runways, taxiways and aprons.

It was always a case of the wing peripheries of the Super Constellation over hanging the edges of the taxiways so there is the slight similarity of this collision at JFK. While saying that I am not stating that the Airbus A-380's wings were wider than the taxiway. What appears to be case though is that the CRJ's tail had not cleared the taxiway fully when the Airbus A-380 came along to the intersection.

The pax and crew of the CRJ were very very lucky as it appears watching the video that the CRJ pivots through 90 deg on (albeit for seconds) the starboard undercarriage (simply tossed out of the way by the giant Airbus A-380)

Some of the problems of handling the Airbus A-380 - it's size and capacity have not been obviously fully resolved even at major international airports.