Boeing boss green-lights all-new next generation narrowbody

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years

Interesting! They had no choice, they were never going to re-engine the B737.

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/flightblogger/2011/02/boeing-ceo-jim-mcnerney-were-g.html

Original post

Member for

20 years 6 months

Never going to re-engine the 737? Quite incorrect.
CFM were quoted saying they could fit an engine under the wing and deliver the same by pass ratio and fuel economy of the projected A320NEO figures.
And there is plenty evidence out there to show Boeing were considering the idea.

Why the devil don't they just put the engines on the top of the wings like the Antonov 72/74? :diablo: Problem solved.

Member for

14 years

Never going to re-engine the 737? Quite incorrect.

Sorry, that was my opinion - not meant as fact. :o

Member for

24 years 3 months

I wonder what the timeframe will be for this new project. I would have thought that with things as they presently are at Boeing, attaching new engines to the 737 airframe would be the best option at this time. I wonder if the powers that be at Boeing have decided that the 737 is all 'tweaked out' and that the all new design is the way to go.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Here is something I drew up some months back.
My vision of a 737 replacement, a mini 787 (in terms of aerodynamic form)

This is equivalent to the 737-800 model

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/9348/sw797.jpg

Member for

18 years 8 months

I've always really liked the graphics you do, Sandy, and that looks damned good!

Member for

14 years 8 months

must be quite a risk to take
as they will need to stop 737 production soon after i comes into service, and i am sure the cost of 7?7 will be a lot more than a 787-800.
mr graphics man could you conjour up an image of a 737 with a 757 undercarrage, then they could fit any engine the like!!!!!
imagine with a 787 engine they could market it as 737-GTI

Member for

18 years 8 months

The 797 ?

Member for

19 years 5 months

The 797 ?

I wouldn't be too surprised to see them drop (at least for this plane) the 7-7 designations.

I predict something with an eco/green theme....along the lines of "Dreamliner".

Member for

20 years

The 'Greenliner', perhaps? ;)

Member for

18 years 8 months

Boeing 808 ?

Member for

16 years

Doubt it. Mazda used to sell a little car in New Zealand in the 1970's called the Mazda 808. I suppose they must still have the rights.
I reckon the 'Stratoliner 2', after the fifties prop-liner, would be better.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Doubt it. Mazda used to sell a little car in New Zealand in the 1970's called the Mazda 808. I suppose they must still have the rights.
I reckon the 'Stratoliner 2', after the fifties prop-liner, would be better.

Are you stating that Mazda could actually buy the rights to the number "808"... :confused:

Member for

16 years

Yes. One of the major European car companies - I can't remember which - got into a lot of bother for proposing to name a car with a 3-number code with a zero in the middle but found that Peugeot had licensed all such numbers, e.g. 307, for their own use in Europe. The Mazda 808 was called something else in Europe for that reason - the 818, if my memory serves me correctly.
I suppose you could argue that very few people are going to confuse a new Boeing airliner with a seventies Mazda, but I'm not sure the lawyers would see it like that.
Stupid, I know.

Member for

15 years 1 month

But trademarks such as product titles are applied for within given fields of commerce, e.g. cars or airplanes.
I doubt Boeing has applied to trade-mark the number 787 within the lawn-mower market, for example.
As a direct example, Roland marketed drum synthesizers under the names 808 and 707 which obviously overlaps with previous Boeing and Mazda products.Only if you are competing in a market which could potentially cause ´confusion´ can a trademark be asserted. Cars don´t fly.

Member for

16 years

Ok. I stand corrected.
Even so, 'Boeing 808' just doesn't sound right, in much the same way as 'Mazda Dreamliner' wouldn't.

Member for

15 years 1 month

Ok. I stand corrected.
Even so, 'Boeing 808' just doesn't sound right, in much the same way as 'Mazda Dreamliner' wouldn't.
Or Nissan Skyliner? ;-)
...Personally, I see nothing wrong with 797, though that´s the last available in that series obviously.

Member for

20 years 6 months

I've always really liked the graphics you do, Sandy, and that looks damned good!

Thank you :)

...mr graphics man could you conjour up an image of a 737 with a 757 undercarrage, then they could fit any engine the like!!!!

I could do a little photo manipulation for sure :)
Might take a day or too to get it uploaded here as my internet connection at home is sporadic at best.

Member for

13 years 3 months

...Personally, I see nothing wrong with 797, though that´s the last available in that series obviously.

What's wrong with the Boeing 7107?

Peugeot did it with the 1007 (Sorry, One-thousand-and-seven. you can't say "One-double-oh-seven" for obvious reasons pertaining to a series of movies)

Member for

16 years

I still reckon a name like Stratoliner or Stratocruiser would be best. It would invoke memories of those wonderful fifties propliners.
I assume Boeing would not be allowed to use the name Constellation.