Why...?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 6 months

Today at work we had a bit of an incident...on one of our inbound flights from the US, a passenger got off the aircraft and went to catch an onward connecting flight from another terminal, but was subsequently arrested by police at Security for having one of the airline's lifejackets in his possession. Apparently the person in question had taken it from a domestic flight within the US, was stopped by the TSA at security prior to boarding his international flight, but amazingly they just handed it back to him...:eek::mad:?!

My main questions are what and why...what possesses you to want to, but above all, why on earth would you want to take a lifejacket from an aircraft, unless it was being used in an emergency situation?

Also, does anyone know what the penalty is for doing so, if you happen to be caught doing something like this?

Has anyone ever taken anything they know they shouldn't have from an aircraft (i.e. safety cards, lifejackets, etc.)?

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Maybe one of those people who collect such things? You never know. I know a lot of aviation enthusiasts tend to take safety cards to add to there collectibles.

Member for

14 years 3 months

I dont know what the penalty is but I hope its bloody severe.

How many people really do check if their life jacket is really under their seat

Edit Safety cards is different nobody reads them anyway

Member for

18 years 4 months

I once had a gentlemen on and inbound flight rip his seat belt out and try and take it with him! The purser of the aircraft chased after him, the Gentlemen claimed he wanted to sell it on EBAY. The airline fined him for the damage done to the seat!

What a Stupid Remark!

Member for

16 years 5 months

I dont know what the penalty is but I hope its bloody severe.

How many people really do check if their life jacket is really under their seat

What do you mean the life jacket is under the seat? Where's the parachute then????

Member for

18 years 8 months

So theft is allowed if no-one's using what you're stealing? Can I apply the same logic to the Nikon D3 in a shop window in Leeds?

Member for

13 years 3 months

Nope, I'm stealing that one tomorrow, hence I'm using it, so you can't steal it! :P

I'm ******** if there's a robbery there tomorrow now, aren't I?! :(

Member for

20 years

Can I apply the same logic to the Nikon D3 in a shop window in Leeds?

Looks like PMN has gone over to The Dark Side completely, then.

First they get a Mac, next thing you know they're flirting with Nikon..... :p

Member for

18 years 8 months

Haha! I actually knew you'd pick up on that and say something, Lance! I still have my Canons for the moment but I certainly wouldn't say no to a D3. :D

Chris, I'll make do with the 5DII then!

Member for

20 years 8 months

We have it happen all the time. The main reason people steal them is because they are usually private pilots and want them for when they travel over water themselves. Infact, someone was arrested last week in Exeter for stealing one.

Member for

14 years 3 months

So theft is allowed if no-one's using what you're stealing? Can I apply the same logic to the Nikon D3 in a shop window in Leeds?

The comment was made in jest - perhaps i shouldve added a smiley face.

Member for

14 years 1 month

We have it happen all the time. The main reason people steal them is because they are usually private pilots and want them for when they travel over water themselves. Infact, someone was arrested last week in Exeter for stealing one.

Really? I thought Pilots (a) Were above Pikey Chavness and (b) They OF ALL people should know the consequences of their actions.

I think it may be weekend Sailing types knicking one for that sort of use.
Souvinir? You'd have to have quite a twisted Melon, wanting to collect lifejackets as a souvinir. But it takes all sorts.
Could have been a bet or a dare.

Member for

15 years 10 months

I remember an incident back in the 1980'2 where a Monarch (I think) flight had to leave some pax behind

On the previous flight a rugby team stole the life jackets

They manged to get a few from various sources but they were, I think it was 3 short, so they could not carry pax on the seats without life jackets and those passengers had to stay behind.

Not only did that inconvenience the pax but it cost the airline for the life jackets, to put up the stranded overnight and potentially the loss of revenue on pax occupying seats that had been allocated on an earlier flight.

This is pure theft and should be treated as such and also it is interfering with the safety equipment of an aeroplane

A jail term should be automatic.

Garry

Member for

18 years 6 months

I feel a jail term is probably a bit extreme in a situation like this, however I do agree that arrest, prosecution and a substantial fine for the theft of the item and the interfering with safety equipment of an aeroplane charge should be automatic as this will result in a person ending up with a criminal record (unless they already have one for any previous offences!;)), which will not look good if/when said person is applying for any new position/job in the future.