Delta may order up to 200 jets in fleet upgrade

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

ATLANTA, Jan 13 (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines Inc (DAL.N) could place firm orders for as many as 200 airplanes as it looks to replace aging aircraft, the carrier said on Thursday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1311284620110113

___

with the A320NEO having a launch customer now and nothing significantly new from the Boeing camp yet in this area, do you think Airbus already has one up its sleeve for the Delta deal?

Original post

Member for

18 years 6 months

It could equally be a hurry up to Boeing?

Member for

19 years 5 months

The question I would have if I were a Delta official (or shareholder) is how soon are they required?

Not necessarily for getting the orders in for earliest possible delivery, but rather to help answer the question as whether to get current models, re-engined models (A320 NEO or possible 737NE), or new fuel efficient types in the semi-distant future.

Member for

20 years

In terms of age of fleet, their priority might be to replace the MD88s and older B757s.

Member for

16 years

There's the political considerations, of course. American aircraft for American jobs and all.
I can understand that to an extent.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well I would be amazed if DL was going for Airbus: let's wait and see...

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well I would be amazed if DL was going for Airbus: let's wait and see...
Following the merger with Northwest a lot of Northwest management joined the ranks, not to mention a fleet of A319s, A320s and A330s. Therefor I would not exclude an order for A320s / A330s.

Member for

20 years

....not to mention a fleet of A319s, A320s and A330s

A sizeable fleet, at that!

57 x A319;

69 x A320;

32 x A330.

The bulk of the fleet is, of course, US-built (incl 144 MD80s and MD90s) but Airbus types make up just under a quarter of the total strength.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Boeing has been testing new 'next-gen' engines from P&W (?) on United and Air India air frames from what I know.

Member for

18 years 11 months

Boeing has been testing new 'next-gen' engines from P&W (?) on United and Air India air frames from what I know.

My understanding (stand to be corrected) was that the 737 (including the NG) is already so low on the ground that you simply cannot equip it with the PW1000G.

Member for

20 years 6 months

I read an article not 2 months ago in which CFM said they could equip a 737 with an engine that had a moderately larger fan than the current CFM56 engines but have less blades (so weight penalty would be minimal) but as the blades would be of new technology, the engine would have the same 1:10 bypass ratio as the model of the same engine that will likely be strapped to the A320NEO.

In other words, they can supply a potential 737 "NEO" with the same engine as the A320NEO and it will enjoy the same bypass ratio and similar fuel burn improvements.