Posting of videos on the forum - updated

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi all,

Recent video posts have brought to our attention the need to put in some rules in this regard. These rules will be on a trial basis for now and may well be removed or changed in the future if things don't work out for the best of the forum.

As of now...

1: A video thread will be created in the Civil Aircraft Images sub-forum. (regular picture contributors are welcomed to give their opinions on this move).

2: All videos posted on this thread MUST be relevant and not random in nature. For example a plain video of an A320 just landing at LHR is not welcomed and will be treated as spam. One should post links only to their own videos.

3: If the moderation team determine that items are being presented on this forum for the main purpose of artificially ramping up viewing statistics elsewhere, the user responsible may face a permanent ban.

4: Repeated postings of random videos can get the user banned.

Any opinions and thoughts on this move are welcomed. :)

The Moderators Team

______

An exclusive videos only thread has been created in Civil Aviation Images. Please feel free to use it to share civil aviation videos keeping in mind the above said rules.

The thread can be found here http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?p=1631699#post1631699
______

Original post

Member for

14 years 10 months

I must say, I think, that the tenor of 'KabirT's post is pretty intimidating. Perhaps it wasn't intended to be so, but there seems to be a dirty great banner associated with it which says 'No Videos Here'.

As a videographer who doesn't take stills at all I'm a little confused. I post my vidoes on YouTube, they are generally of light aviation/air displays/steam railways and are put up on YouTube simply to share, ie they are in the same spirit as the enthusiasts who put their stills up on one of the stills sites that are available.

Please could the moderation team offer clarification as to their intentions and the criteria by which they would judge videos.

Regards

Member for

20 years

Orion,

I'm puzzled as to how you could read Kabir's post and come to the conclusion that it adds up to 'No Videos Here'. A brief glance at the General Discussion forum ought to be enough to dispel that particular notion.

I'm even more puzzled as to in what way you could have found it to be intimidating.

It simply sets out the rules for posting links from this forum to one's own videos hosted elsewhere, and describes the measures in place to forestall possible abuse of those rules.

Frankly, this was a group decision by the moderator team - including the Webmaster - and it will stand for the foreseeable future.

Member for

14 years 10 months

Frankly, this was a group decision by the moderator team - including the Webmaster - and it will stand for the foreseeable future.

As I said, intimidating and unwelcoming. It shouldn't come as a surprise to you that there aren't many airline films posted on these forums or that the only person who has posted so far on the thread was clearly taking the mickey!

Member for

20 years

You're perfectly entitled to hold and to express your opinion, Orion.

In the meantime, things will stay as they are.

Member for

18 years 8 months

As I said, intimidating and unwelcoming. It shouldn't come as a surprise to you that there aren't many airline films posted on these forums or that the only person who has posted so far on the thread was clearly taking the mickey!

Perhaps you could quote a line that comes across to you as particularly intimidating and unwelcoming and explain how you interpret it as such? I'm a little perplexed by your analysis of Kabir's posting, which as a regular visitor to this forum I see absolutely nothing wrong with.

Paul

Member for

24 years 3 months

I must say, I think, that the tenor of 'KabirT's post is pretty intimidating. Perhaps it wasn't intended to be so, but there seems to be a dirty great banner associated with it which says 'No Videos Here'.

As a videographer who doesn't take stills at all I'm a little confused. I post my vidoes on YouTube, they are generally of light aviation/air displays/steam railways and are put up on YouTube simply to share, ie they are in the same spirit as the enthusiasts who put their stills up on one of the stills sites that are available.

Please could the moderation team offer clarification as to their intentions and the criteria by which they would judge videos.

Regards

Orion,

you are free to share your videos via the video thread specifically created in the Aircraft Images section as mentioned before. As said, kindly just avoid posting random landings and take offs that may not be interesting from a viewers point of view. We have had users before subtly posting their videos all over the place only to promote their YouTube channel, which is not permitted on this forum.

Hope some clarity would be achieved.

Member for

14 years 10 months

Orion,

you are free to share your videos via the video thread specifically created in the Aircraft Images section as mentioned before. As said, kindly just avoid posting random landings and take offs that may not be interesting from a viewers point of view. We have had users before subtly posting their videos all over the place only to promote their YouTube channel, which is not permitted on this forum.

Hope some clarity would be achieved.

Thank you for the clarification. I have a video of last Sunday's Shuttleworth show in post-production right now and I will post it when it is complete.

Regards

Member for

20 years

Thank you for the clarification. I have a video of last Sunday's Shuttleworth show.....

I'm afraid that would be off-topic for this sub-forum, which is for images of commercial aircraft.

However, it would be welcomed with open arms in the Airshow Photos sub-forum.

Member for

16 years 11 months

May I ask a question about point 2 please. Links to interesting videos have been posted by people who don't own the video. The proposed rules appear to me to prevent this.
Whilst I haven't posted any videos I'd be grateful for guidance on this point as I do like some of the videos posted.
Thanks
John

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi atr42,

apologies for the late reply. I admit its not an easy rule to apply as the videos are concerned. What we basically want to avoid is members specifically joining in and promoting their or their friends video pages. Along with this, we would prefer if users stick to posting 'interesting' videos and not just a speck on the horizon landing or taking off from a field.

If you have videos hosted on YouTube or any other such site feel free to post them keeping in mind the above things. Also, make sure you post it in the Aviation Videos thread in the Images sub-forum.

K

Member for

18 years 3 months

OK, so i'm pretty tired today, so I wasn't sure, so just checking, the link I post to a YouTube video of a commerical aircraft is ok, as long as the video was filmed and uploaded by me? ... :S

Member for

24 years 3 months

OK, so i'm pretty tired today, so I wasn't sure, so just checking, the link I post to a YouTube video of a commerical aircraft is ok, as long as the video was filmed and uploaded by me? ... :S

yea thats fine, but make for thge vieweres benefit make sure the video is of good quality and a good watch. As I said before there is no hard and fast rule for this, it is difficult to make one to say the least.

Member for

14 years 7 months

PLEASE EXCUSE ME FOR BEING THICK

IF I SEE A YOU TUBE VIDEO OF GOOD GENERAL INTEREST BUT NOT TAKEN BY ME I CANT POST A LINK TO IT. EVEN THOUGH IT IS IN THE GENERAL DOMAIN

Member for

24 years 3 months

PLEASE EXCUSE ME FOR BEING THICK

IF I SEE A YOU TUBE VIDEO OF GOOD GENERAL INTEREST BUT NOT TAKEN BY ME I CANT POST A LINK TO IT. EVEN THOUGH IT IS IN THE GENERAL DOMAIN

YOU CAN.

Member for

14 years 10 months

Well, Ive just posted a link to my most recent film and I find that in around 12 months there have only been 27 posts on the thread and many of those films are not by the poster.

By now alarm bells ought to be ringing amongst the moderators. This idea is not of having a separate threads for video and stills is not working.

Please can the moderation team reconsider and permit movies and stills in the same topic.

Regards