The plane of the future

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 1 month

A glimpse of what flying in the future might be like was provided today by planemaking company Airbus. Part of this futuristic design is semi-embedded engines designed to be 'eco-efficient' which look alot like the engines the first ever jet airliner, the Comet, had that first flew in 1949.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1295964/The-plane-future-Airbus-showcases-fantasy-jet.html

Original post

Member for

20 years 5 months

No way to put a high-bypass engine back there. Or your landing gear would have to be 7 meters high.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Seeing how the 'futuristic' original designs of the Dreamliner had to be scaled back to make it actually work, i think such radical designs would be only available to us well into the distant future.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Distiller, forget about high bypass, put turbojets or a scramjet, and make it mach 3 +capable.
Manufacturers really need to get over the tree-hugging -PR nonsense, and try to develop something new. It is ridiculous that, after 50 years, we're still flying at the same speed.

Member for

24 years 2 months

...and to add to that not to forget the engine technology has not really moved much, its still the same old combustion engine, just a little quieter and a little more efficient. :cool:

Member for

16 years 10 months

Looks to be on the same vein as the Easyjet "Ecojet" http://thenextwavefutures.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/ecojet091.jpg

Imho people are so brainwashed and caughtup in this whole idea of how harmful aircraft are as part of the largest commercial con in history (global warming that has now cleverly been mashed into climate change) That aircraft like concorde are a thing of the past :(

Member for

18 years 5 months

No way to put a high-bypass engine back there. Or your landing gear would have to be 7 meters high.

Unless they strapped a whole load of hover boards to the bottom :D

Member for

16 years

A glimpse of what flying in the future might be like was provided today by planemaking company Airbus. Part of this futuristic design is semi-embedded engines designed to be 'eco-efficient' which look alot like the engines the first ever jet airliner, the Comet, had that first flew in 1949.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1295964/The-plane-future-Airbus-showcases-fantasy-jet.html

If Airbus is going to mount engines in the wingroots like the Comet, I hope it doesn't give it's aircraft square windows as well.
Seriously, though, there are many reasons why engines should not be mounted there. If there weren't, all current aircraft would follow that format.
I remember as a boy watching an episode of Thunderbirds involving a futuristic airliner called Fireflash, in which a saboteur linked a bomb to the retraction of the landing gear, meaning a wheels-up landing on Virgil Tracey's elevator cars. The Fireflash had its flight deck in the tail fin and its engines (I think there were six) mounted atop the t-tail.
Now, what about that as an idea?

Member for

18 years 10 months

The Fireflash had its flight deck in the tail fin and its engines (I think there were six) mounted atop the t-tail.

Pretty poor - trying to land the thing may be rather difficult!

Member for

18 years 1 month

I remember as a boy watching an episode of Thunderbirds involving a futuristic airliner called Fireflash, in which a saboteur linked a bomb to the retraction of the landing gear, meaning a wheels-up landing on Virgil Tracey's elevator cars. The Fireflash had its flight deck in the tail fin and its engines (I think there were six) mounted atop the t-tail.

I like this a lot!
I've just had a look on a couple of websites at pictures of this aircraft and think it would look great in RAF grey with the RAF roundels! :D