Screaming child lands Qantas in court after sending woman deaf

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 11 months

Member for

14 years 11 months

Mad, another extraordinary example of the "blame someone" culture. If accurately reported, how can it possibly be the airline at fault when a 3 year old child, across the aisle and with its mother, screamed? She had hearing problems before the flight, yet blamed Qantas for not predicting that a 3 year old might scream unexpectedly.
Facepalm moment...... the lunatics really are taking over.....

Member for

16 years 1 month

Silly cow. How on earth can a three-year old boy make such a noise that her eardrums start bleeding? She must have had a pre-existing condition.
That said, babies and infants crying and making a noise on aircraft can be a dreadful nuisance.

Member for

18 years 8 months

GRRRR! Not another one! It sounds like this woman is a spectacularly huge tosser in all honesty.

"I guess we are simply fortunate that my eardrum was exploding and I was swallowing blood. Had it not been for that, I would have dragged that kid out of his mother's arms and stomped him to death. Then we would have an 'international incident'," Ms Barnard allegedly wrote.

Hmm... She sounds like a nice person (anyone remember Mrs Deagle from Gremlins?) If you don't like screaming kids then stay at home where they can't annoy you. If you get on a plane you can expect to encounter the odd screaming kid, it's a fact of life. What said tosser probably doesn't realise is why kids actually scream on flights; their ears are affected much more by the pressure and they're screaming generally because they're in immense pain. It seems fairly reasonable to me that a young child would scream when it's in pain and doesn't know what's going on.

As for a child creating enough sound to perforate an ear drum, it's perfectly possible for a close range shout (as in literally right in your ear) to be way above 110dB so it's very possible it might cause damage if sustained for any length of time. In this particular case it seems extremely unlikely the kid directly caused her ear drum to perforate. Frankly I think Qantas should have done all they could to wipe the floor with her and turn her into an example of just how utterly stupid people can be at times. Maybe not allowing her to fly due to ill health and making her continue her journey back to the States by boat would have taught her to STFU and stop being a tosser!

Paul