Aurigny to be sold...!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 6 months

Looks like Aurigny, the Channel Island airline, could be sold to Blue Islands...:( (the sad face is because I really like Aurigny, even though I've never flown on them, I just love the look of their aircraft. Will defo have to go on a flight with them before the sale goes through, if anyone is interested in joining me PM me!)

However, Aurigny's perferred choice of selling to Blue Island has, of course, upset another close competitor (Flybe), who released this following statement a couple of days ago:

Flybe statement on proposed Aurigny sale.

Following the news that Aurigny is being sold to Blue Islands without an open bidding process, Flybe has called for a full and independent inquiry to be urgently convened to examine the matter in detail.

Flybe has the longest unbroken record of service of any airline to Guernsey, has provided lifeline routes to and from the island in good economic times and bad, without recourse to a single penny of public subsidy, and is very disappointed that it has not been invited to make an offer for Aurigny.

Flybe would like to place on the record that it has, since 2003, tabled a number of bids - the last of which was just 18 months ago – to acquire Aurigny. All of these bids have contained an offer of legally binding guarantees to protect the slots at London Gatwick for Guernsey services. To our disappointment, Flybe has been rebuffed by the States on every occasion, the most recent of which was Feb 2010.

Flybe is extremely concerned that the proposed deal between Blue Island and Aurigny will result in yet more taxpayers money being wasted on clearing debts and writing off loans. Flybe confirms that it would be prepared to enter into an open and transparent bidding process that it believes will present a better outcome than the smoke-filled-room solution being promised by Blue Islands.

Source: http://www.flybe.com/news/1007/14.htm

Whilst I can in part understand why BE feels hard-done by, seeing as it has made several attempts already to buy Aurigny in the past, I personally think that Blue Islands is actually a more suitable carrier to take on the Aurigny name/brand because they already have experience of operating both ATR and Britten Norman BN2A Mk. III Trislander type aircraft whereas BE has not (they'd probably replace the ATR's with Dash8 Q400's or E195s, but will have to keep the Trislanders for the short island-hop routes to Alderney!) and also because Aurigny are always marketing themselves against FlyBe, as the attached image shows.

Anyone else got an opinion on the matter, please feel free to post below.:)

Attachments
Original post

Member for

19 years 6 months

Elsewhere it's reported that Blue Islands is critical of Aurigny's "ancient" fleet of Trislanders and that they have stopped 14 routes over the last decade. As for the price comparison, one has to suggest that I doubt Guernsey would be discussing the sale of Aurigny if it were profitable. Perhaps they could look at the fares to see if they can raise more revenue!

Member for

21 years

Looks like Aurigny, the Channel Island airline, could be sold to Blue Islands...:( (the sad face is because I really like Aurigny, even though I've never flown on them, I just love the look of their aircraft. Will defo have to go on a flight with them before the sale goes through, if anyone is interested in joining me PM me!)

However, Aurigny's perferred choice of selling to Blue Island has, of course, upset another close competitor (Flybe), who released this following statement a couple of days ago:

Whilst I can in part understand why BE feels hard-done by, seeing as it has made several attempts already to buy Aurigny in the past, I personally think that Blue Islands is actually a more suitable carrier to take on the Aurigny name/brand because they already have experience of operating both ATR and Britten Norman BN2A Mk. III Trislander type aircraft whereas BE has not (they'd probably replace the ATR's with Dash8 Q400's or E195s, but will have to keep the Trislanders for the short island-hop routes to Alderney!) and also because Aurigny are always marketing themselves against FlyBe, as the attached image shows.

Anyone else got an opinion on the matter, please feel free to post below.:)

Because Aurigny advertise against FlyBe, FlyBe shouldn't be allowed to buy Aurigny? Because FlyBe would want to get rid of the ATR they shouldn't be allowed to buy Aurigny?

Those arguments don't make a lot of business sense!

Member for

18 years 6 months

Because Aurigny advertise against FlyBe, FlyBe shouldn't be allowed to buy Aurigny? Because FlyBe would want to get rid of the ATR they shouldn't be allowed to buy Aurigny?

Those arguments don't make a lot of business sense!

Whilst it might not like make a lot of business sense, I just feel that Blue Islands is a better airline to take over Aurigny, as I just don't particularly like to see "big-name" airlines gulping up the little players...as I have said a number of times, I rather like Aurigny, even though I've never flown on them, their aircraft are always nice to see! I used to like BE before, but now they've just become a bit "same old, same old", just like EZY and FR.