Fire tanker used on container ship.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years

A hazardous container caught fire yesterday on the Charlotte Maersk in the Malacca Strait. Malaysia sent ships and a Canadair fire bomber to extinguish the fire. Photos in article.

http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article/32039943/

Original post

Good use for firebombers!

Pardon the pun!

But it makes one wonder what they were shipping that caught fire? Because of someone's negligence perhaps, a whole bunch of people's stuff destroyed.

Member for

19 years

Could be anything chemical. In my experience the potentially dangerous containers are usually in the bow of the ship or certainly easily accessible in the event of an 'event'. This ship has a capacity of over 8000 containers and was built in 2002.

Yeah, I suppose that since Hazmat must be carried the containers should be ejectable. "Ejection seats" for container ships. I'm off to the patent office....

Member for

14 years 5 months

But it makes one wonder what they were shipping that caught fire? Because of someone's negligence perhaps, a whole bunch of people's stuff destroyed.

Could be simply spontaneous combustion,hazardous cargos have to be carefully segregated,in the UK we used to have the 'Blue Book' to refer to,now there are numerous IMO regulations to refer to.I can remember carrying a very greasy type of wool from Australia which had to be carried on deck due to the fire risk,pre container days of course.I'm showing my age.
Colin.

Member for

14 years 7 months

Why don't they fit ships with a few high pressure water pumps.
After all they are surrounded by water and if on fire could just rig up and point some hoses at it.
Not like they are going to run out of water.

Member for

19 years

Probably for the same reason that all fire engines don't use water solely, do they! ;)

Member for

19 years

The fire was finally extinguished after almost two weeks. The ship is now berthed in Malaya for repairs and removal of the 150 destroyed containers. The Charlotte is being replaced by the Maersk Brooklyn which was the last ship that had been laid up in Loch Striven.