American Govt 747 LHR 07/06/2010

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 3 months

Anyone know what the American Presedential type Boeing 747 is at LHR 07/06/2010? I
n addition what is the additional hump for on the fuselage? Cheers in advance of any info..

Original post

Member for

20 years

The E-4B is 75-0125.

The 'extra hump' houses satellite comms equipment.

Member for

14 years 3 months

Thankyou!

Member for

15 years 2 months

Thats an unusual one to be at Heathrow.
Whats the purpose of its visit?

Member for

17 years 6 months

Thats an unusual one to be at Heathrow.
Whats the purpose of its visit?

After considering that the primary mission of the E-4 is to be an emergency airborne command post, I hope you will see that the USAF doesn't routinely publicize where, when, or why one of the aircraft is wherever it is when it happens to be spotted somewhere. Thus, it seems probable we will never know.

Member for

18 years 4 months

Apparently the American Vice President is in the Neighbourhood! So im guessing it could be supporting him! Due out the morro according to PPRUNE bit odd it been at LHR through they would have sent it to Mildenhall!

Member for

15 years 2 months

Apparently the American Vice President is in the Neighbourhood! So im guessing it could be supporting him! Due out the morro according to PPRUNE bit odd it been at LHR through they would have sent it to Mildenhall!

That's just where Jonny Terrorist would expect it to be.:D Strange though as Obama came to STN instead of Mildenhall on his visit last year too?

Member for

19 years 5 months

That's just where Jonny Terrorist would expect it to be.:D Strange though as Obama came to STN instead of Mildenhall on his visit last year too?

Perhaps he's allergic to military bases....:D
Maybe he wants to be seen as a "regular guy" rather than the commander in chief.

Member for

16 years 1 month

I think Stansted has special facilities for high-security operations. Don't most foreign leaders' aircraft land there?

Member for

21 years

Whilst nearly all London airports are used frequently for some governmental flights, Heathrow is still where the majority arrive into, particularly the US Government.

This aircraft is used by the Defence Secretary Robert Gates who is in London this week.

Joe Biden is in South Africa for the World Cup so it wasn't him.

Member for

15 years 2 months

After considering that the primary mission of the E-4 is to be an emergency airborne command post, I hope you will see that the USAF doesn't routinely publicize where, when, or why one of the aircraft is wherever it is when it happens to be spotted somewhere. Thus, it seems probable we will never know.

Actually I thought maybe someone involved with spotting at Heathrow may know, im somewhat out of the loop studying the ATPL books. If the USAF was using it for a sensitive or emergency situation I doubt Heathrow would of been the airport to land at with Mildenhall the most likely. :)

Mark L, that may well explain why its in then :) I sure wish I was there to see it.