20 years 11 months

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKCoka6mPRQ

Original post

Member for

20 years 5 months

By heck, that was bloomin awful!

Member for

16 years 11 months

WOW!!! Speed bumps on a runway. Seriously, do you think it's a pilot faux pax or a wind related incident? All looks ok down to about 20ft.

Member for

24 years 2 months

blimmy that was uncomfortable :eek:.

Member for

18 years 7 months

Seriously, do you think it's a pilot faux pax or a wind related incident? All looks ok down to about 20ft.

It looks very much like the kind of thing that could happen to anyone really; looking at the ailerons it's obvious he's really fighting the wind and it seems he was caught by a significant gust just as he tried to level out and land. Definitely can't have been too comfortable!

At 0:15 the windsock can be clearly seen and it is limp. There was no wind. In the beginning the attitude is very flat. It looks like the guy pushed the nose down as he was possibly a bit high. Then he pulled back too hard on the yoke and entered Pilot Induced Oscillation (caused by overcontrolling). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_induced_oscillation

Member for

18 years 7 months

If there's no wind then why does the plane stay level when he's rolling to the left so much? Surely there has to be wind?

Stop the video at 0:15 and look at the windsock.. it is hanging straight down. As you say, these things happen and it could have been a relatively inexperienced copilot. After a landing like that you don't open the cockpit door till all the pax have disembarked. In fact the windsock is limp from 0:12 thru 0:15 where it is visible

Member for

18 years 7 months

Having had a proper look at it (as opposed to looking while trying to screen photos) he's actually rolling to the right, not the left. That said, I still don't understand how if there's no wind he's staying level when rolling right so much. How is that possible with no wind?

Member for

24 years 2 months

A Classic PIO (Pilot Induced Oscillation). Even in gusty crosswind there is no reason to end up like that unless you are behind the curve!

Member for

18 years 7 months

I stand corrected. :)

Member for

16 years

What a mess. Was the port landing gear ok afterwards?

Member for

24 years 2 months

The Korean episode just looks like poor airmanship, but then we are talking Korean Air ;) The LCY video speaks for itself and is obviously weather induced.
A thought that I've often had with these kinds of incidents, and others that I've seen on video, TAP A320, LH A320 and others is when do you as a pilot give up with an approach thats obviously turning into a 'box of frogs', swallow your pride and try again or divert. I realise that most crews use their accumulated experience to judge these situations and obviously keep safety paramount as they should. It also brings to mind that edition of Air Crash Investigation involving an AA MD80 Srs attempting to land at Little Rock ( I think ) where despite atrocious weather conditions the Capt. would not entertain abandoning the approach or diverting as other flights were doing, and whilst fighting the weather failed to set the spoilers for landing. In this instance tough commercial reasons were to blame, did this also play a point in the AF A340 incident at Toronto a while ago. As I say guys, just thoughts.

Look on You Tube at the sidebar of the original video. There are others with the same title although I don't see any 777 in them. Watch me. Can anyone spot the 777?

They probably had a couple of vodkas during the flight. :diablo:

Member for

24 years 2 months

I think that landing of the IL 76 in that manner was deliberate.