Concorde may fly again?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

The engines on a French Concorde are to be examined as the first move in a £15m project aiming to get the supersonic passenger jet back in the air.
The Rolls Royce engines of the former Air France Concorde will undergo an initial examination to see what work needs to be done to start the engines.
Concorde was retired seven years ago, but it is hoped the jet could return to flight in a heritage capacity.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8712806.stm

Looks like the aim is to fly it for the 2012 Olympics.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

to be honest i don't see why its in Historic Aviation section.
:rolleyes:

Fits in here as well.

Member for

16 years 11 months

not really, concorde is clearly a historic aircraft now lol its hardly going to be commercial passenger carrying over the atlantic again is it? :cool:

Member for

24 years 3 months

if a bunch of people come under my house with banners saying this thread is not suited for commercial aviation and proceed to sacrifice a mermaid for their cause, i'll lock this thread.

Don't worry. :)

Member for

16 years 11 months

Aww the perks of being a mod http://www.civicjordan.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/icon_worthy.gif

Member for

15 years 10 months

Never mind guys where the threads and posts are if Concorde is going to come alive again Historic is better than not alive.

I am putting money on the LAPCAT project (Reaction Engines, Oxford). In its days of research and development Concorde, was scorned the way some puritans pooh pooh at the concept of LAPCAT - LHR to SYD in 4-6 hours over the Barrants Sea.

X-51A Waverider flew under its own scramjet power for 200 seconds on Wednesday 26 May 2010

All exciting stuff and all happeneing in one century. Good to be alive.

Member for

16 years 1 month

I read that the Concorde's engines were going to be examined, then started with a view to returning it to flying condition and having it fly for the 2012 Olympics. The report was in either Saturday's Guardian or Independent.
It is fantastic news and let's hope efforts come to fruition.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Good news indeed! Just a thought, I wonder if she will carry both the AF and BA liveries?

Member for

19 years 2 months

This story is certainly doing the rounds on many different forums,come on chaps...it aint going to happen :rolleyes:
The engine checks are for egr/taxy only

Member for

24 years 3 months

This story is certainly doing the rounds on many different forums,come on chaps...it aint going to happen :rolleyes:
The engine checks are for egr/taxy only

Ah well, the thought was nice while it lasted;)

Member for

16 years 1 month

Why can't it happen? The Concorde hasn't been grounded for that long and those examples stored under cover mustn't be that far from flying condition.
I don't suppose it would be that different from driving an old car after a long lay-up. All the Concorde should need is a jolly good service.
That said, finding a crew still able to fly it might be a little more problematic.

Member for

19 years 7 months

Have you got change of £50 million at least? The BA aircraft are decommissioned and from the press release that you may not have looked at, the French partner says the intention is to taxy only. There's also a small problem that there's no simulator for the ex-Concorde pilots to (or anyone else for that matter) to gain currency on the type. There are no spare parts going to be made so once it goes tech that's it. There's no Certificate of Airworthiness.

If you are able to sort out all those problems, then you can get Concorde to fly. But the major stumbling block may be what the Save Concorde Group and the Olympus 593 Group are going to say to each other!

Member for

16 years 1 month

Perhaps you're right.
I wonder how John Travolta got around all those problems with his B707?

Member for

19 years 5 months

Perhaps you're right.
I wonder how John Travolta got around all those problems with his B707?

The design authority for the 707 family has not been withdrawn so John T would not have any problems KEEPING his 707 airworthy.

Rgds Cking

Member for

16 years 3 months

I guess XH558 didn't have any of those problems either then...

Member for

15 years 2 months

I also wondered the same about XH558 Dan.

Speaking of flight simulators by the way - what happened to the Concorde flight simulators?

Member for

18 years 11 months

Speaking of flight simulators by the way - what happened to the Concorde flight simulators?

I believe one of sims was moved to Brooklands Museum, and is now open to the public for a suitable fee/donation, and at least one retired Concorde Captain spends time instructing the paying-guests how to 'fly' it.

And as has been said above, without Airbus or A. N. Other suitably experienced/qualified organisation re-instating and supporting the design authority for the airframe then none of the Concordes will ever fly again. And it is very unlikely Airbus would hand over the lapsed design authority to another organisation anyway. As a comparison/example, I believe Marshalls of Cambridge took over the design authority for the Vulcan from BAe (ex Avro etc), so that XH558 could be re-flown.

In theory it is possible that something similar to this could be arranged for Concorde, but the costs are so horrendous that in all probability it will never happen. Even if the will was there then the costs involved would probably make the restoration costs of Vulcan XH558 look like small change in comparison.

So, let's face it, on the basis of economic probability (rather than technical possibility) Concorde will never fly again - however, no doubt there will continue to be rumours that she will...

Paul F

Member for

16 years 1 month

I'm sure the rumours will continue until such time as flying would no longer be technically possible due to age.