Indian indigenous airliner!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 9 months

Behold Hindustan Aeronautics NAL-70:
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/03/08/339065/india-unveils-details-of-indigenous-70-seat-turboprop.html

Original post

Member for

18 years 8 months

Strange looking beast... Looks like the result of a night of drunken fun between a Dash 8 and a CRJ!

Where is it's turban?

Member for

16 years 1 month

Very droll.
It's quite a smart-looking aircraft to my eyes.

Member for

20 years

Yes, 27vet.

Because everyone in India wears a turban, don't they? :rolleyes:

I suppose childish racial sterotypes do have their place, but this isn't it.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Even though it's from Hindustan Aeronautics, do you think they'll try and give themselves a European name and pretend to be in Dagenham when you call?

Thre you go GA ;)

I suppose childish racial sterotypes do have their place, but this isn't it

Member for

20 years

Moderatorial Mumblings

Do not poke sticks through the bars of the mod cage.

No good will come of it.

GA

Member for

24 years 3 months

The project is by NAL, HAL is not involved in anyway until the manufacturing stage.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Agreed vet but since this is a public forum, you never know who, when and where might get offended with such jokes. Always better to be careful. :)

You are right, some people might be over sensitive :) I apologize.
Was it Prince Harry or William recently who caused controversy?

Member for

24 years 3 months

good to see there will be more competition on the regional airliner market from the developing world in the future.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Looks like a cross with between the Dornier and ATR. Looks very promising. What with the Turks now getting into the act I can't wait to see what the Albanians come up with! What news on the Karas?

P.S As I am descended from Albanian stock there is no racial implication here :D

Member for

14 years 2 months

Whenever they make statements like:

These include improved fuel efficiency, short landing and take-off capability, and the ability to transport cargo.

This will give the aircraft 25% lower acquisition costs, 25% lower operating costs and 50% lower maintenance costs than existing turboprop regional aircraft, says NAL.

"Many towns and cities remain unconnected due to the cost of operations. Short take-off and landing abilities, capability to land on ill-equipped airfields, including all weather operations, can be of very high benefit,"

You wonder how seriously they are going to be taken...

Rough field and STOL capabilities do not come for free.

It it arrogant bordering on stupidity to assert you can include the compromises necessary for rough-field and cargo loading, and yet still demolish the competitors (Q400 and ATR-72) in the 3 key competitive yardsticks.

It is a pattern I have seen before though with... shall we say... "offshore" engineering firms promising the world and delivering nothing but problems... which then costs the OEM more money to fix before getting the work back on track.

[The problem is not confined to "offshore" firms either... even crowds like Atkins are good at talking the talk and stumbling the walk]