EU noise levels - No entry to the UK

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 3 months

Just reading the current airliner magazine and it has an interesting article on the TU-134, an aircraft I use to see frequently in the past at UK airports.

I noted with interest that these jets are banned from flying within the EU due to noise emissions from the engines.

Just wondered what other type of aircraft are not allowed within the UK or EU because of noise levels, surely this must apply to nearly all of the first and second generation passenger jets?

No wonder I just constantly keep seeing either an Airbus or New Generation Boeing on short finals, this EU regulation has obviously killed off all the variety of jets we had in the skies many years ago.

So to get around to my initial question, what a/c is now banned in the EU?

Original post

Member for

18 years 4 months

Runway06
The BAe 1-11 falls in to the banned group which is why the ex BA fleet mostly went to places like Nigeria. Some executive ones, if any are still in use, are exempt I think.
All the other noisy things like Tridents, Caravelles, CV990's, VC10s, Early DC9's, Concorde, IL62, 737-200 have gone apart from any military/private ones.
You suddenly realise that most of the second generation jet airliners are history.

Richard

Member for

14 years 8 months

fond memories spring to mind of an Aviogenex TU-134A flight from MAN to Dubrovnik in 1972 on a package holiday, also going to Corfu on a Laker 1-11 400.
by the way was the 1-11 475 series the GTI of the series, in terms of short fuselage and large engines?

Member for

18 years 4 months

by the way was the 1-11 475 series the GTI of the series, in terms of short fuselage and large engines?

Not really a GTi but it did have the 500 srs wing and small fuselage with short/rough airfield operation in mind. It had larger main wheels that did not fit in the undercarriage bay, solved with bulged main gear doors, then big area's of the fuselage and flaps was covered on a protective layer of glass fibre. One I was involved with was G-AZUK which had lived in Peru, that had a large dent in the wing leading edge where it had hit a Llama, and the air con ducts were full of stones and dirt.

Richard

Member for

14 years 3 months

Didn't realise the 737-200 was banned too, well thanks for the update gentlemen, I suppose not much Russian stuff (TU-154, IL62) etc is allowed through? Does this noise ban also effect any prop stuff too such as AN12 or Civilian Hercs etc?