Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: The Last Film You Saw..... IV

Rango (2011)

Excellent animated feature about a chameleon (voiced by Johnny Depp) that ends up in a desert town helping the locals. Beautifully animated take on an old fashioned western story.

The Ghost (2010)

Ewan Macgregor plays a ghost-writer tasked with writing the memoirs of ex- Prime Minister played by Pierce Brosnan. Nicely played political thriller from Roman Polanski.
    So much for Pathos

Battleship and Avengers Assemble.

Both great films. Avengers is typical Joss Whedon, funny, well paced and great scripting.
    Bmused55

Keep thy airspeed up, less the earth come from below and smite thee.

My Blog
    My Designs

Quote Originally Posted by ~Alan~ View Post
    Avatar has been on TV a couple of times this week. We watched about 10
    minutes of it before we'd had enough. When this came out everyone was
    raving over it...... why ?

Although I suppose it might be better in 3-D ?
    Avatar was a MUST in 3D and, if you had one nearby, IMAX.

My friends and I went to see it on opening night at the Glasgow IMAX. My mind was blown away by the spectactular 3D effects. They were so immersive.

OK, it's Ferngully with blue aliens, but that's ok. The story is simple, so no need to think about it. You understand it and can relax and enjoy the spectacle unfold.

I tried watching it in 2D when it came out on DVD and it had immediately lost its appeal. It realy is a black and white contrast. It was a long 2d film, but a short 3D film.
    Bmused55

Keep thy airspeed up, less the earth come from below and smite thee.

My Blog
    My Designs

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    War Horse

Fourth time around for me. Still fantastic.
    There is nothing to fear but fear itself. And spiders. F**k spiders.

Daren Cogdon

Troll Hunter

A Norwegian "found footage" film.
    I just have to say this was brilliant.
    A trio of university students follow a secret goverment Troll Hunter as he tracks down rogue trolls. As i said the film is in a documentary style footage on the run film,but it works so well. The troll effects also fit nicely with the style of film. A must see. 9/10
    "Everybody's doing it so why the hell should I ?" Black Sheep- Gin Wigmore

The Last Exorcism (2010)

A cynical preacher in the US deep South carries out one last exorcism to expose it at as a fraud. Only it isn't. Well acted and shot (in a documentary style) but somehow lacking something. Not bad though.

Hidden (2005)

A French couple are stalked by someone unknown, revealing old secrets. Well filmed and slow at times but compelling. In French with subtitles.

Get Shorty (1995)

John Travolta is a racketeer heading to LA and getting involved in the film industry. Great fun with Travolta in one of his "coolest" roles.

Super 8 (2011)

Soem teenagers making a movie accidentally film a train crash and its aftermath.
    Pretty good actually and well acted by the teenage leads. Perhaps a little bit overly sentimental at the end.
    So much for Pathos

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Babe

A cute and cuddly piglet tries his hand at being a sheepdog. Quite good fun, and the effects still hold up well for a film that's now 18 years old!!

(And, even scarier than that, Jurassic Park will be TWENTY years old next summer! Christ, I feel old!)
    There is nothing to fear but fear itself. And spiders. F**k spiders.

Daren Cogdon

Quote Originally Posted by Bmused55 View Post
    Avatar was a MUST in 3D and, if you had one nearby, IMAX.

My friends and I went to see it on opening night at the Glasgow IMAX. My mind was blown away by the spectactular 3D effects. They were so immersive.

OK, it's Ferngully with blue aliens, but that's ok. The story is simple, so no need to think about it. You understand it and can relax and enjoy the spectacle unfold.

I tried watching it in 2D when it came out on DVD and it had immediately lost its appeal. It realy is a black and white contrast. It was a long 2d film, but a short 3D film.
    I thought avatar was a great film, 3 D or not. I only see thru one eye so I cant see 3D but I enjoyed it!
    What I know about planes you could write on the back of a beer mat, but I'm looking for bigger beer mats!
    My photos
    http://stumm47.deviantart.com/

The last film I saw was 'Avengers Assemble' and it was really good fun, decent story, good character interaction and great pacing. 8/10

Before that it was 'The Hunger Games' which was slow, dull, boring, silly, puerile, annoying, slow and did I mention SLOW? 2/10.
    Last edited by Garyw; 12th May 2012 at 22:44. Reason: Removed Avatar commentary as it was out of place

Avatar AKA 'when smurfs go to war'. Never seen it and don't want to
    Do you not think that your opinion on a movie might have more value if you had actually seen it?
    So much for Pathos

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Pewtey View Post
    Do you not think that your opinion on a movie might have more value if you had actually seen it?
    It wasn't an opinion, just a comment following up from the previous post that was intended to be mildly humorous then followed up by a couple of brief reviews of movies that I had seen.

I apologise for any misunderstanding caused and I have removed the Avatar comment from my previous post in this thread.

Jet Lag
    A French comedy/drama Jean Reno as a stressed chef/businessman stuck at the Paris airport during a controllers strike with Juliette Binoche as a beautician trying to get away from a bad relationship. I really enjoyd it.

The Three Stooges
    The old comedy team has been recast by the Farley brothers production team. You'd be hard pressed to tell the new actors playing Larry, Moe and Curley from their predessors which made shorts from the 30s to the 50s. The Stooges have to raise money to save the orphanage they were brought up in. It's fun to see the Stooges in modern settings and it's a fun film for the entire family...just when you thought comedies had to be gross and tasteless.

The Descendants
    George Clooney looking glum in Hawaii. Not as good as I was expecting given the awards it won. Directed by the guy that brought us the equally overrated Sideways. The Rotten Tomatoes film review site gives it 4.5 stars...sorry, I see it as 3.5 at most.
    Last edited by J Boyle; 13th May 2012 at 05:49.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

20 pages exceeded, please open a new thread.
    pb::

Thread Information