Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: The Last Film You Saw..... IV

10 minutes isn't really enough to give it justice to be fair.

I thought it was a wonderful film. An old-fashioned good/evil yarn with fantastic effects.
    So much for Pathos

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Horrible Bosses

Had reservations about this one, since it starred Jennifer Aniston, and I can't really think of any movie that she's been in that's actually been good, but this was bloody brilliant!

Three friends, harassed by their respective bosses, decide that the best thing to do would be to kill them off. Chaos ensues.

Genuinely likeable characters (even the bosses themselves were quite fun to watch), some brilliant dialogue and a smart twist to the end.

A solid 8/10
    There is nothing to fear but fear itself. And spiders. F**k spiders.

Daren Cogdon

Yogi Bear (2010)

Life action/CGI remake of the classic cartoon. Jellystone looks great (apparently it's New Zealand), the voices, Dan Aykroyd as Yogi and Justin Timberlake as Booboo are good as well (plenty of pic-a-nic basket references) but sadly the sum of the parts isn't that great. Not bad but not great either. My eight-year-old enjoyed it though.

Killing Bono (2011)

The true (ish) story of two brothers who went to school with Bono and the rest of U2 try to be rock stars themselves. A funny, witty, heartwarming story. Highly recommended.

The Pirates! An Adventure with Scientists! (2012)

The latest from Aardman Animations. A pirate captain tries to win the Pirate of the Year award with help from his hapless crew. Voiced by Hugh Grant, Davis Tennant, Brendan Gleeson and many others, this is a highly enjoyable movie. Many of the jokes and references will be missed first time round so second viewing is guaranteed.
    So much for Pathos

Labyrinth

David Bowie plays the Goblin King in an imaginary world from where teenager Jennifer Connelly must rescue her baby brother. Soem fantastic puppetry in this one - all way before the advent of CGI (if you forget the CGI owl at the start!).

True Lies

James Cameron and Arnie Schwarzenegger team up to unleash more mayhem on the world, this time involving super-spies, terrorists, nukes, and an unsuspecting wife. Great fun!

Daren Cogdon

The Dark Crystal

Jim Henson directed this dark tale of a powerful crystal which holds the power to bring peace to an alien planet. Cutting edge (for the time) animatronics and puppetry, but a fairly weak storyline I thought. 5/10

I Am Number Four

More like A Pile of Number Two. 3/10

Daren Cogdon

Dr Strangelove on again tonight Film4

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)

1950s creature movie. Probably really scary in 1954 but looks really crap now.

Hop (2011)

A mixture of live action and animation. A layabout becomes the Easter bunny (honestly). Not hilarious but decent enough kid's movie for Easter.

Enchanted (2007)

A fairytale princess played by Amy Adams ends up in present-day New York. Good fun and surprisingly well done. A great Disney movie.

Due Date (2010)

Robert Downey Jr and Zach Galifianakis are forced together by circumstances to drive from Atlanta to LA. Similar to Planes, Trains and Automobiles but not nearly as funny. One or two poignant moments though.
    So much for Pathos

A Separation (2011)

Last Flights
    04/2/14 EK036 Newcastle - Dubai
    05/2/14 EK302 Dubai - Shanghai (Pu Dong)
    05/2/14 CI504 Shanghai (Pu Dong) - Taipei (Taoyuan)

Back to the Future

Need I say any more??

Daren Cogdon

Star Trek First contact

Last night on the box.

Bit confused with it.

Zefran c)ckthingy lauched his space ship from a missile silo, it rose like a rocket etc.....er, how did they get back to earth? It just showed them getting p*ssed in a pub at the end.

The Enterprise was full of Borg but at the end when Data breaks the 'thingy' that releases the 'stuff' that kills the queen and 2 other Borg, what happened to all the other Borg on the ship? One of the crew made out they were being swamped and over run just a couple of minutes beforehand. Was he just fibbing?

Right at the end, how did the Vulcan (first time they had visited Earth) speak perfect English? Pickard had already said they had no interest with a pre-warp planet....

How did he know the earthling was english speaking as he (Vulcan) was the first to talk?

When they travelled back to the future (at the very end), was the deflecter array the only thing that could do the temperal 'thingy' to open the portal 'thingy'?? Had they not blown it to bits not 30 minutes ago?

The film is great, however, the last ten minutes must have been filmed on a Friday afternoon.....

Baz
    www.wallond.com

Can T22 WT525, Can B2 WD954, Vamp T11 XE921, Pilatus P2 A-125 (cockpits)

A KNIGHTS TALE, brilliant medaeval film about an ordinary man who aspires to be a kniight of his master who was a Knight but had died, very funny but the Jousting scenes well worth watching.
    9 out of 10.

Jim.
    Lincoln .7
    There is no such thing as a problem, just a solution!!

Last edited by heslop01; 16th April 2012 at 18:41.
    Last Flights

A Night to Remember/Titanic

The two definitive films about the sinking.

The first film, of course, being the British-made 1958 effort starring Kenneth More, and telling the the story of the sinking in a matter-of-fact manner. It's the only film to tell the actual story of the sinking, and not set a fictional storyline within the actual events. A fantastic film - the extras on the DVD are worth the purchase price alone.

James Cameron's film followed afterwards. Of course, it's a spectacular film with a simple plot about a love affair between two passengers of opposing classes. Even viewing it on a normal TV, the effects haven't aged badly at all. The performances are still top-notch, and the film itself is still an epic tearjerker.

And I don't think Kate Winslet has looked better since. And I get to see her boobs in 3D tomorrow...!

Puss in Boots

DreamWorks' spin-off from the Shrek series sees Antonio Banderas' titular feline retelling the story of his rise to fame. Great fun. 7/10

Daren Cogdon

Thor (2011)

Warrior Thor is cast out from his realm and must live as a mortal on Earth. Fantastic Marvel comics adaptation. Fabulous looking visual effects and with a cast of Chris Hemsworth as Thor and Anthony Hopkins as Odin, this a great fun film.

Brazil (1985)

Jonathan Pryce plays a civil servant struggling to maintain humanity in Terry Gilliam's masterwork about a dystopian society hung up on paperwork and procedure. Gilliam's attention to detail is remarkable and makes great looking movies. Rather prophetic in parts too. Excellent.
    So much for Pathos

Another film in my non-English adventure ...

Last Flights

Titanic 3D

Well, the 3D doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but seeing the film on the big screen for the first time in 14 years was like seeing it for the first time - it looks fantastic, and the effects have aged extremely well.

And you can never have enough naked Kate Winslet! :diablo:

Daren Cogdon

Insomnia (2002)

Al Pacino plays a detective with a past called in to deal with a murder in Alaska. A bit slow but a decent enough way to spend an hour or two.

All Quiet on the Western Front (1979)

Richard Thomas and Ernest Borgnine in a TV movie adaptation of Erich Maria Remarque's 1929 novel. Well done and high production values for a TV movie. Great film.
    So much for Pathos

Street Fighter

Oh dear Lord.

The Man With The Severed Head

Oh dear Lord, no....!!

Daren Cogdon

[Rec]
    A television reporter and cameraman follow emergency workers into a dark apartment building and are quickly locked inside with something terrifying.

A Spanish horror film, very well done starts off very mundane and slow burns into what the hell is going on scenario 8/10

[Rec] ˛
    The action continues from [Rec], with the medical officer and a SWAT team outfitted with video cameras are sent into the sealed off apartment to control the situation.

Starts off immediatley after the first .Not as effective as [Rec] due to the fact that you know whats coming . But all in all a good sequel. 7/10

Quarantine
    A television reporter and her cameraman are trapped inside a building quarantined by the CDC after the outbreak of a mysterious virus which turns humans into bloodthirsty killers

The inevitable American remake for those hard of subtitle reading.
    Almost a scene by scene copy in english[ american].
    Quite good if you haven't seen the original but again if you have then you know whats coming no suprises.
    7/10

Quarantine 2: Terminal
    A plane is taken over by a mysterious virus. When the plane lands it is placed under quarantine. Now a group of survivors must band together to survive the quarantine.

Actually a quite good sequel . Set partly on a RJ flying from LA to Las Vegas.It ties in with the first film quite well. 7/10
    "Everybody's doing it so why the hell should I ?" Black Sheep- Gin Wigmore

RoboCop

Need I say any more??

8/10

Daren Cogdon

Red Tails
    Oooh where to start.
    After reading a lot of the comments before this film came out ,i started watching with a certain amount of trepedation.
    Taken as a film in it's own right it's not bad . I have seen a lot worse. But when you factor in the aviation element and a story as important as the Tuskegee airmen well....
    1/ I thought the racial story was totally under developed.
    2/ Historicaly it seemed out of place.
    3/ At times it worked well but then it descended into evil empire vs rebels territory.
    4/ The script was woefully bad.
    But for the demographic it was aimed at probably worth a night out at the cinema.
    As for the notorious CGI ,i think it worked well within the film. Ok maybe P-51's can't do some of the things these ones did, I'm no expert. But i don't think anything was that over the top.
    All in all if you don't know the subject it will entertain, if you do know then you can have fun picking it apart.
    6/10

Kick-Ass

Schoolkid Dave takes it upon himself to become a real-life crimefighter in his neighbourhood, inadvertantly crossing paths with proper crimelord Frank D'Amico and "professional" superheros Big Daddy and Hit Girl.

Superb fun. 8.5/10

Daren Cogdon

Sucker Punch (2011)

Emily Browning is a mental institute inmate who uses a fantasy world to get her freedom. Imaginative movie from Zack Snyder (Watchmen, 300). Very enjoyable.

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

Chris Evans is Steve Rogers who's plucked from the ranks to be turned into a WW2 superhero. Good fun.

Bad Teacher (2011)

Cameron Diaz is a foul-mouthed, lazy teacher trying to get her man (Justin Timberlake) . Very crude but a few laughs
    So much for Pathos

Shrek

Hard to believe this film is over a decade old now, but it's still a brilliantly-realised bit of animation. Still fantastic fun, too. 8/10

Shrek 2

This time with added Puss In Boots. 8.5/10

Shrek The Third

A poor third part of the franchise, but still not bad fun. 6.5/10

Daren Cogdon

Jason Statham, in "Safe", no where near as good as his "Transporter" films.

Giving this a 3 out of 10 is being more than generous.
    Jim.
    Lincoln .7
    There is no such thing as a problem, just a solution!!

My three favourite films.......

of all time........

are.........

AA/ Local Hero

BB/ A matter of Life and Death

CC/ Out of Africa

just my two'penneth....ta

Shrek Forever After

Way better than the third installment, but still not quite as good as the first two by some way. 7/10.

Super 8

Not sure what I thought of this one. Will have to watch it again to be sure.

The Crazies

An American town starts to undergo a strange shift in character following the crash of a plane carrying a biological weapon into a local river. Pretty bloody good, actually. 7/10

Dawn of the Dead

The 2004 remake. Still fantastic. 8/10

Daren Cogdon

Thor
    A good superhero god crossover film with the delectable Kat Dennings in a supporting role. Enjoyable 8/10 [1 point for Kat]

Captain America :The First Avenger
    Not the best, but watchable. I enjoyed the first 30 minutes the best. 6/10

Gran Turino
    Clint Eastwood being well... clint as an ageing Korean War vet standing up to a local gang and finding friendship from a community he seems to have no connection with. Highly watchable but then it is Clint Eastwood 8/10

Forrest Gump

Still the ultimate feel-good movie, I think. 9/10

Kick-Ass

Again. However, it was someone else's first viewing of it, and she rather enjoyed it.

Daren Cogdon

Thread Information