Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Mosquitoes over Amiens Prison

Mosquitoes over Amiens Prison

I was in the Returned Services Association clubrooms in Te Awamutu this week and I spotted this photo on the wall. Does anyone know when this was taken? I'm certain it's not from the actual raid, but was there a special flypast there later? or could this be from when the 1950's film was made?

Hello Dave,
    I am quite sure this one was the 1945 flypast..... having said that I had better check!
    Hertfordshire Airfields Memorial Group
    http://hamg.co.uk

www.wartime-airfields.com

It was a post-war flypast... although I do have some that were taken during the actual raid itself.
    Interested in what I'm doing? Please visit http://gmsenterprises.blogspot.com/

Dave,

I can't vouch for the photo, but Mosquitoes of No.487 (RNZAF) Squadron during September 1945 were flying during filming of a documentary movie titled "Jericho", a recreation of the Amiens Prison raid. After being renumbered No.268 Squadron in October 1945 they continued that flying activity sporadically until mid November 1945 when the big flying scenes were filmed which included a full Squadron formation and flights making dummy attacks over the Amiens Prison accompanied by a photographic Mosquito from No.69 Squadron. A number of the pilots and navigators who had to fly their Mosquitoes up to Paris for certain parts of the filming took advantage of the visits for some R&R. One of the scenes the Squadron filmed using the aircrew at the time was the full Squadron raid briefing.

Regards,
    Last edited by ColFord; 23rd April 2010 at 21:49. Reason: typo
    Colin Ford
    Canberra
    Australia

No.268 Squadron RAF Historian

I had no idea that No. 487 (NZ) Squadron was renumbered and carried on, I assumed it disbanded like the rest of the NZ squadrons.

I'd love to see the footage or photos from the filming. I assume when they made Jericho that the real footage taken on the mission was intercut too? How many of the actual crews were involved in the later filming I wonder.

Do you have a website about No. 268 Squadron RAF, Col?

Dave,

On September 19, 1945, No.268 Squadron was disbanded and reformed in place (renumbered) as No.16 Squadron RAF. The same day, No.487 (RNZAF) Squadron was also disbanded and reformed in place (renumbered) as No.16 Squadron RAF the result of an administrative error. That was corrected shortly after and retrospectively No.487 (RNZAF) Squadron was renumbered as No.268 Squadron.

At the time it was under the command of W/C WP Kemp DSO DFC. A number of the RNZAF aircrew had been repatriated home and during the period the posting out of RNZAF aircrew continued. They were replaced by primarily RAF aircrew although a couple of RAAF aircrew arrived as replacements and a couple of the RNZAF aircrew had applied for post war commissions with the RAF. But by mid-November 1945, just as filming and flying activity related to Jericho ceased, the last of the RNZAF aircrew were posted out for repatriation home.

It is possible that stills photos taken associated with the movie Jericho might still be in existence, but I have failed to find any to date.

This was actually subject in part of a topic on this forum you took part in back in 2005. Someone then was looking for a copy of the movie, but nothing to indicate if they had any luck. I have not found anything to suggest if it has been transferred to tape or dvd for commercial sale (not like a lot of the British wartime and immediate post-war films).

I do not have a website for No.268 Squadron RAF. The primary work on the Squadron History and digging out new bits of information and material from time to time keeps me busy enough.

Regards,
    Last edited by ColFord; 24th April 2010 at 02:39. Reason: Typo
    Colin Ford
    Canberra
    Australia

Thanks Colin,

I recall that old thread now, but it was a long time ago. So was this photo I posted the first photo that you've seen from the filming period then? I can try to get a better version next time I am there if you'd like. It was difficult with the light shining on the glass, and reflections too.

Cheers
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave Homewood; 24th April 2010 at 03:05.

Dave,

Thanks for the offer, I would be interested in a better copy of the photo if possible and it is not too much of an inconvenience for you.

Regards,
    Colin Ford
    Canberra
    Australia

That was the first time I had been into the Te Awamutu RSA. I was there filming interviews with four 2nd NZEF veterans who had served in the Italy campaign (that was an incredible experience in itself, three of them had actually been in the same infantry platoon, and two of those had gone to school together! Now in their 90's they're all still mates).

It is planned that I will return within the next few weeks to the same place and film some more veterans for the project. I am not certain when yet as it depends on getting everyone together. But I will certainly attempt to get another, better shot of the Mossies if I can.

I hope you have a good ANZAC Day tomorrow, it'll be an early start for me to get to the Dawn Parade.

Dave,

Here's a link to to the film of the raid - "Jailbreakers"

http://hamg.co.uk/Operation-Jericho.php

Jim.
    Hertfordshire Airfields Memorial Group http://hamg.co.uk/

Thread Information