Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beauty Contest: Tejas vs Gripen

Tejas drawing coming along nicely!

WIP.

nicely done ! the wing is very distinctive from top.

Gripen is definitely the better looking jet...much more sleek.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    the Tejas' radome diameter is 650 mm. Big enough to fit a MiG-29 size array in its radar. And I too feel that the Tejas' intakes seem smaller than those of the Gripen, but since we don't know what the inner air channel is and what its volumetric dimensions are, we cannot really comment on how much volume of air they draw in compared to the Gripen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abhimanyu
    Note that Tejas' nose diameter has indeed been compared to that of an F-16's, though only by observation.
    Well, gentlemen, according to the late BHarry's now well cited reference on the Tejas, the MMR itself has an antenna that is around 650mm suggesting that the radome is slightly bigger, which is really huge for a fighter that small. The F-16 has a smaller area on the Apg-68, it is eliptical and therefore wider, but also lower in height (something like 725mm X 480mm?), one of its weaknesses imho. The Tejas radar otoh, is larger and v.close to the Zhuk M on the fulcrum and M2k (650mm antenna). The fulcrum I think can have a bigger antenna (700mm?).

Expect decent A2A performance from this little bird. Small airframe with plenty of composites, hidden comp face and a nice big radar. Low wingloading. It could do with a better TWR though.

USS.

Quote Originally Posted by robban View Post
    Here's a size comparison. Makes you wonder if the Tejas really is the smallest fighter out there. In length yes, but in volume? I'm not so sure.

This Tejas profile is a WIP, I'm still working on the details, as well the top, bottom and front view.

Tejas length: Inluding pitot tube 13.2m.
    Gripen length: excluding pitot tube 14.1m.

great job there Robban ! the profile very clearly shows the differences in their profile..the Gripen is longer and seems to have a better aspect ratio as compared to the Tejas making it look sleeker. Could you do a comparison with a MiG-21 as the LCA was meant to be a MiG-21 replacement and I have a feeling that its dimensions may match up much better with a MiG-21.

Quote Originally Posted by Roylarson View Post
    ...Swash-plate is Gripen's necessity to field a bigger array. That it is pushed around as its advantage is probably marketing man's "lateral thinking". ....
    I'm afraid this is completely wrong. You can fit a bigger array in if you incline it, but that has no connection with the swash plate. Look at some of the US AESA configurations: they have fixed inclined arrays. If the only purpose of it was to fit in more TRMs by being inclined, it would be fixed, & therefore not a swash plate. A swash plate is an inclined rotating disc.

The rotation is its raison d'etre. Combined with the inclination, it gives a wider field of view than a fixed AESA array. This is to overcome a disadvantage of fixed arrays compared to mechanically scanned arrays, i.e. their relatively poor off-axis view.
    Juris praecepta sunt haec: honeste vivere, alterum non laedere, suum cuique tribuere.
    Justinian

Tejas drawing coming along nicely!

WIP.
    Great effort Robban !!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJ View Post
    Great effort Robban !!
    Thanks Jimmy!

Here's the finished LCA Tejas five view. As I live in Sweden the chances for me to take detailed photos of a Tejas is slim to non. This is the best I can do with the amount of pictures avaliable(to me) on the net.

Still, I hope someone will find it useful!

It's a lawn dart, shame I don't have a lawn big enough
    The mind once expanded by a new idea never returns to its original size.

great job there Robban ! the profile very clearly shows the differences in their profile..the Gripen is longer and seems to have a better aspect ratio as compared to the Tejas making it look sleeker. Could you do a comparison with a MiG-21 as the LCA was meant to be a MiG-21 replacement and I have a feeling that its dimensions may match up much better with a MiG-21.
    Thanks Kramer. I'll see what I can do!

Thumbs up

Thanks Jimmy!

Here's the finished LCA Tejas five view. As I live in Sweden the chances for me to take detailed photos of a Tejas is slim to non. This is the best I can do with the amount of pictures avaliable(to me) on the net.

Still, I hope someone will find it useful!

Thanks Robban. Its a great 3 view of the LCA.

Robban,

If you're giving this out for free non-commercial use, please consider using it on wikipedia.
    Go Huskers!

I'm glad you guys like it!

@MadRat

Actually I just found a page with some excelletn close up pics of the Tejas fuselage! I'll be doing some more detailing on this drawing!

I wouldn't mind having it having Wikipedia use it. Not sure I have the knowledge how to get it there though....

Create a wiki account. Edit the page and upload the picture. Its really pretty simple for adding a picture. Its easier than 85% of the other editing on the wiki pages.
    Go Huskers!

Quote Originally Posted by MadRat View Post
    Create a wiki account. Edit the page and upload the picture. Its really pretty simple for adding a picture. Its easier than 85% of the other editing on the wiki pages.
    I'll see what I can do.

Here's an updated Tejas drawing. Some minor but important changes and additions.

Robban they are awesome.
    Love Planes, Live Planes

LCA looks dated. Like it belongs in the 1960's and 70's with the Mirage III.
    Can't wait to join the 'real' world. Hopefully only one week to go....

LCA DRAWING

Dear Robban

nice work on the LCA Drawing. If you are stuck on detail photos let me know as I did walk around shots at various Aero India Shows.

Phil

Thanks guys!

@Phil

Awesome!

I could really do with some pics that shows the details on the top of the wings, as well as photos showing details on the top fuselage side panels. I'm aware this might be a tough request, as the height of the aircraft might make it difficult to reach with a camera standing on the ground.

Do you perhaps have photos that show panel detail on the forward fuselage and nose, and pics showing the underside of the wings?

Thanks!

Robert

In nubibus & Royal Military Academy Sandhurst
    Gripen is my call .
    Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude.

http://planemadanna.blogspot.co.uk/

The first quality needed is audacity

At long last, a MiG-21 - Tejas comparison.

At long last, a MiG-21 - Tejas comparison.

thanks Robban..the dimensions seem to match very closely for the Tejas and the MiG-21..can clearly tell that they did a size comparison with the MiG-21 to draw up the basic dimensions that they'd look for in a MiG-21 replacement..

Hey Robban can you do a Mirage 2000, Tejas comparison. It would be interesting.
    Love Planes, Live Planes

thanks Robban..the dimensions seem to match very closely for the Tejas and the MiG-21..can clearly tell that they did a size comparison with the MiG-21 to draw up the basic dimensions that they'd look for in a MiG-21 replacement..

Interesting in the head-on comparison, the 21 seems to offer less area/cross section for reflection of radio waves - not only in terms of wing span and thickness, but also because of the larger radome and bubble canopy.

HOwever, the Tejas does have a LOT of composites in its structure against the all metallic fishbed.

Also, can anyone tell us if the Tejas will have an internal jammer? (iirc, it was supposed to get a full internal EW suite - MAYAWI?. We know that the MiG-21 bison with an external jammer (EL-8222) proved to be quite the headache for F-16s/F-15s, the Tejas/Gripen might offer better advantages considering the employment of RCS reduction tech in the airframe as well as the carriage of internal jammers.

USS.

Nice drawing ... maybe this could help You too; but don't ask me, where I found it.

Deino
    Last edited by Deino; 26th April 2012 at 16:22.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
    My working week and my Sunday rest,
    My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
    I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
    Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
    For nothing now can ever come to any good.
    -------------------------------------------------
    W.H.Auden (1945)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Deino View Post
    Nice drawing ... maybe this could help You too; but don't ask me, where I found it.

Deino
    wow ! thanks Deino ! really appreciate your posting this.

I like the looks of the Gripen more, overall. The Tejas is certainly not 'ugly' though.

I think the only area that the Tejas looks equally as nice as the Gripen is from the back (according to those pictures shown above), when flying.

for what its worth I've always thought the Tejas looked like a M2000 copy and for me it doesn't fit the "look right, fly right" rule.

I certainly can't see it as a modern design. Perhaps more like a 1980's effort.

The gripen has always been a pretty aircraft and the NG almost looks mean.

thats my thoughts.

LCA

An LCA test pilot once told me that it was the poor man's Mirage 2000.

Regards Phil

We have seen LCA being compared with Gripen, mig21 ...
    Why not doing JF17-LCA? We al see millions of posts about these two being compared in the most impossible way.

Thread Information