Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: VC10's at Brunty

Nobody got any updates at all?

I dont know about individual aircraft but there were 4 VC10's visible at Bruntingthorpe this weekend. If you look at some of the photos on UKAR (Look under airshows), I believe that there are some photos of them on there.

Hope that helps

One is being shredded this week

Without having to search several pages, how many original RAF C1 and C1K VC10s are to be preserved?
    Apathy is as powerful as any bulldozer and equally cherished by developers. Others cannot measure the importance of our heritage with OUR silence.

Thanks for the updates guys...those will be the 4 that have been there for a while then. I would assume the one to be shredded this week will be XV105.....it has been at Brunty for by far the longest now.

Phillip....all the C1's were converted to C1K standard many moons ago. I am led to believe that XR808 is to be the only one to survive (at the RAF Museum Cosford) and one K2 or K3 will survive in ground running condition at Brunty (although I personally hope and pray that XV108 is spared the scrap man's axe)

Quote Originally Posted by ajw View Post
    Phillip....all the C1's were converted to C1K standard many moons ago. I am led to believe that XR808 is to be the only one to survive (at the RAF Museum Cosford) and one K2 or K3 will survive in ground running condition at Brunty (although I personally hope and pray that XV108 is spared the scrap man's axe)
    I don't think that it's going to be a K2 which is to stay at Brunty, all the K2s have been scrapped already (last one in 2004). Still in active service are: 4 C1Ks, 4 K3s and 1 K4 (since December 2011). Have a look at the bottom of this page for the specifics: http://www.vc10.net/History/RAFVC10s.html
    A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

Believe XV104 due Brunt this month.

We've all been here before. The fate of Belfast G-BEPS still upsets me. Rule No.1: it's not saved until the fat lady sings.

Yes, it would be good to save more than one C1K, but in these times, who could look after her? She's not a combat aircraft, nor has she been in the public eye as much as the Nimrod. I would like to see one preserved at Brize Norton, but they don't have the space, or do they?
    Apathy is as powerful as any bulldozer and equally cherished by developers. Others cannot measure the importance of our heritage with OUR silence.

My understanding is that two VC-10s are earmarked for preservation, C.1K XR808 is going to RFAM Cosford, due to being first to enter RAF service.
    One other will be preserved at Brunty, I understand it will be one of the last to leave service and arrive at the site.

Personally speaking I really hope that a 'Super' K.3 or K.4 tanker (as Cosford are having a transport / tanker C.1K) will be preserved, just because of the incredible service that they have gave in previous lives to the airlines, and given the RAF in the tanker role over many war zones.
    K.4 ZD241 would be on my list due to its history and having the most hours flown.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    I don't think that it's going to be a K2 which is to stay at Brunty, all the K2s have been scrapped already (last one in 2004). Still in active service are: 4 C1Ks, 4 K3s and 1 K4 (since December 2011). Have a look at the bottom of this page for the specifics: http://www.vc10.net/History/RAFVC10s.html
    My mistake! I knew it was either the K2 or K4 which has bitten the bullet, but couldn't remember which!

Rochford - any idea when this month? Will it be just 104?

I wish another C1K could be preserved. Any suggestions or perhaps another long walk is in order?

Quote Originally Posted by pagen01 View Post
    K.4 ZD241 would be on my list due to its history and having the most hours flown.
    K3's are potentially more interesting, both operationally, and in the engineering sense.

why?

XV104 sorry no date/+2 more September/6x spring

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    why?
    We'll, maybe similar operationally, although IIRC it was the K3s involved in Granby was it not?

As for "engineering" interest, the K4 has a very nice conference room/exhibition hall/party room after of the pax bulkhead, but surely the K3's tank bay would be of greater interest?

How many C1Ks remain airworthy? And what are their retirement dates? I'd like to see one flying before it's too late!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Rhodes View Post
    How many C1Ks remain airworthy? And what are their retirement dates? I'd like to see one flying before it's too late!!!
    4: XR808 & XV104/106/108

Not sure on dates. I suspect the K3s/K4 and 808 will be last, the other C1Ks going before then.

XV101 & 107 are now 40 odd tonnes lighter than they used to be. XV102 is now minus its wings and will be shredded along with XV105 before the end of this week.

I withnessed the beginning of the end of 102 today. Not nice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7918.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	205600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7968.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	205601  

I'd love to get a flap off a Vicky 10, as for a while I was "NCO I/C Flaps" on Red Team in Base. What a great job title! Any spare flaps?!
    Say unto oneself, "I must try harder to be kind to all comers to this forum".

Quote Originally Posted by CIRCUS 6 View Post
    I'd love to get a flap off a Vicky 10, as for a while I was "NCO I/C Flaps" on Red Team in Base. What a great job title! Any spare flaps?!
    Try talking to the people what are breaking them.... http://www.gjdservices.co.uk/NA-3.html

So anyone with any info on XV104? Suggested it may be up for scrapping last month.
    I see that some of their planned appearences have been cancelled this year due to 'operational requirements'. Might this meen they will hold off a bit? I always assumed their time being up was dictated by servicing requirements so could they even extend temporarily?

Sorry for uneducated questions, not really interested in the technical side of aircraft, just like to see 'em fly.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRCUS 6 View Post
    I dont know about getting hold of one but I can still remember the part numbers from the 1970's when I was I/C flaps for a certain favourite airline.
    110084 sheet 201 to 110084 sheet 210 if anyone is in the slightest bit interested.

Richard
    "Where are you from?"
    "America" Somebody laughed politely.

Boy I bet you two would be the life and soul of a party, can't beat a couple of flappers....

Quote Originally Posted by CT1974 View Post
    So anyone with any info on XV104? Suggested it may be up for scrapping last month.
    Here's what I know: http://www.vc10.net/news.html

Thanks for the update. I'm fairly local so with at least a little warning i can get there to see her come in.

I've just received news that XV104's last flight has been delayed by a couple of weeks. As soon as I hear more it will become available on the news page I linked to above or, if you're on Facebook, the website's Facebook page (see link on front page of site).

No VC10s at Brunty last weekend - so all four must have been chopped

Andy
    "Light travels faster than sound-that's why some people seem bright until they speak"
    AirTeamImages
    - the best aviation photography

indeed there is no evidence there at all save a few washers, sad and empty

Anyone with anymore info on 104?
    It's well past it's provisional retirement date now. I don't want to make the trip without knowing for sure it will be tomorrow, when I just happen to be walking that way and it appears

Sorry to be a pain i don't like to ask too often but would hate to learn after the fact, thats so frustrating

Thanks in advance

re;

They were there in the Srping with a Hercules. Pity nobody saved the cockpits. They would have been great in museums as hands on exhibits.
    pb::

Thread Information