Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do we have any collectors of old tools?

Do we have any collectors of old tools?

I can't be the only daft ****** with this affliction...

I just dragged home a '53 SouthBend Heavy 10 lathe...which looks quite at home with the '37 13x40 SouthBend I already had.

I also appear to have become a vise collector as I now have 7 or 8 of the dang things in my garage/shop.

I almost titled this thread "Are there any old tool collectors?" but realised that may be misinterpreted

Pics if anyone is interested..?
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Yes but my tool is not as big as yours
    pics please

ok, heres a few..

Latest vise, a Dunlap:

Wilton & a Paramo:

Wilton as found:

& it's previous home:

SB Heavy 10:

The Dunlap last night:

If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

There's also an ongoing floorjack resto..

This is how it was found:

Good job you are spelling it in americanese,otherwise you have many vices sir
    Seems a harmless hobby ,unless you drop a vice on your foot of course !
    I have mostly hand tools but a neighbour has a garage full of allsorts inc a lathe and bandsaw etc,so you are not alone in your hobby for sure.

I have a beautiful 1950's socket set that lives in the back of my MG. Doesn't get used though- that's what the Halfords set's for!
    Victor XL231 Blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/
    Home of the V-force on the web: http://twittervforce.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bazv View Post
    Seems a harmless hobby ,unless you drop a vice on your foot of course !
    I have mostly hand tools but a neighbour has a garage full of allsorts inc a lathe and bandsaw etc,so you are not alone in your hobby for sure.
    Expat living in California, sometimes forget to use correct spelling on whatever forum I'm on at the time...

Anywho, the Dunlap is finished.

I'm making some aluminum/aluminium jaws for the British Paramo.. might even make some from brass.. but thats the *beater* vise/vice as it has 4 chunks missing & is going on the welding bench.
    Last edited by ZRX61; 28th March 2010 at 19:52.

I am a real squirrel with certain things LOL.My driver bit set (inc torx and allen bits etc) was rescued from our bin area along with the vacuum cleaner ( a vintage goblin i think- must take a pic !) that I use for the car.

Hi ZRX ...yes I realised that you are a brit which is why i worded it that way
    remember it is a mole grip...not a vise grip LOL
    Dunlap is looking good !!

remember it is a mole grip...not a vise grip LOL
    Which work the release lever backwards compared to the correct British way. I'm always finding stuff over here that is the opposite of the *correct* way.
    The taps have the hot & cold opposite the UK way.

The light switches are upsidedown.

Bicycle brakes are backasswards so they have the front brake on the left side... which damn near put me over the handlebars the day I discovered that one

Here's the 2 South Bends together today:

Lovely.

Stuff of this quality is harder and harder to find in the UK now. The real machine tools have been scrapped off and awful cheap far eastern rubbish fills the machine shops. The beds aren't even Meanite.
    The bench vice's - likewise, so many places have gone bust and the metalwork left behind is melted for scrap. Some of it is auctioned, but they can't be bothered dragging a 100lb vice to the auction to get 2 bucks for it. So they melt it.

The new (to me) SB had evidently been stood for at least 25 years or more & I just discovered it still had the original (very dry) leather drove belt it left the facory with... which just vaporized itself in a cloud of dust while I was messing about with it.

Just as well I planned on fitting a new rubber belt... I'll be at the auto store in the AM for a 63inch sepentine fan belt which is the standard fix these days.. just takes a bit of disassembley/reassembley to get it fitted... so I can take a look at the headstock bearings while I'm doing that

On a far smaller scale, a friend recently passed away and left me many lovely tools ideal for looking after my MG and the other locally based ones I get summoned to with the phrase 'can you just...'
    Some of them even originally came from the Abingdon MG production line and are still marked as such.
    The quality is just so much better than anything you can get today without paying in arms and legs. And everything is in beautifully made cases, none of your cardboard and blown plastic crappy packaging. I'm sure they'll outlast me.

Nice to see some restoration going on guys! I have a Denby Pillar Drill a real old one taller than me and weighs a ton!

In recent times with scrap metal prices so high too much of these faithfull old tools have been sent down the scrappy!

Keep the rescue work up!

Found a new leather drive belt just like the original for $19.95 & ordered new felt wipers for the apron/cross slide etc.

Quote Originally Posted by FLYING SAUCER View Post
    Nice to see some restoration going on guys! I have a Denby Pillar Drill a real old one taller than me and weighs a ton!

In recent times with scrap metal prices so high too much of these faithfull old tools have been sent down the scrappy!

Keep the rescue work up!
    You are one impressive female.I wouldn't know a pillar wotsit if I found one in my porage.
    Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.

Well thanks Bumblebee!

On the subject of old tools I am soon to be black lead polishing a small Blacksmiths Forge and set of Footbellows, might have to replace the leather on those though.

Not a collector of old tools (oo-er) as such, but I do appreciate quality.

I'm still kicking myself to this day for not snapping up the 2 old Myfords that my old secondary school was replacing (yep, for Far Eastern tat).

The price? A measly 20 quid each. We are talking 1996 -ish here!
    (Getting 'em home may have been a problem!!)

As for my toolbox, I try and fill it with quality equipment. I see it as false economy to buy cheap tools.

Don

I have noticed that so called "cheap and cheerfull tools" tend to round off and lose it under load - go round boot fairs and autojumbles to find good old kit.

Collection of old tools!

Some old tools I found!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hazelblears.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	183406   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brown21.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	183407  
    The more I learn, I realise the less I know!

Can't be- tools tend to have some usefulness...
    :diablo:

Rescued this from the scrap pile at the engine shop yesterday:

24 hours later it's been dismantled, degreased, plastic media blasted & partially painted. Should have it finished & reassembled by Monday.

Resto thread here:
    http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=60945
    Last edited by ZRX61; 10th April 2010 at 05:34.

I have two pictures of two hand tools that need identifying.
    Turn the handle and the tip rotates once per handle turn AND reticulates up and down, as if a honing device. But honing is not a hand held task.
    What do you think they are?

edit - I downloaded these a long time back, maybe off this very forum. I was determined to find out what they were for that person, maybe it was you ha ha.

Last edited by PeeDee; 10th April 2010 at 23:01.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
    24 hours later it's been dismantled, degreased, plastic media blasted & partially painted. Should have it finished & reassembled by Monday.
    Oh how I remember topping up that coolant cup!

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post

Resto thread here:
    http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=60945
    Liar, you raided my school metal work classroom. I knew you'd been in there when I saw the pictures of the Dunlap vice.
    The mind once expanded by a new idea never returns to its original size.

Quote Originally Posted by critter592 View Post

As for my toolbox, I try and fill it with quality equipment. I see it as false economy to buy cheap tools.

Don
    Indeed it is. I bought a set of ring spanners when I first got posted to Germany and they are still giving good service now. Not bad for 30-ish years down the line. I couldn't resist buying them and a socket set which were both about half the UK price at the time so I am surprised at the quality. The thing I was always told was that only those too lazy to find the correct size of spanner use an adjustable.
    The mind once expanded by a new idea never returns to its original size.

SawMaster progress:

looking good zrx,havent seen much stuff like that since i did a little factory maintenance for 6 months whilst 'in between ' a/c jobs in the early 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by mike currill View Post
    The thing I was always told was that only those too lazy to find the correct size of spanner use an adjustable.
    Very true, and in the long run you'll only make life harder for yourself...

Thread Information