Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: The Flying Dutchman KLM CV240

The Flying Dutchman KLM CV240

I had some prints made from negatives of my father's and thought this one might be of interest. It is a CV240 of KLM at Kano Airport Nigeria taken in the early 1950s. I can't quite make out the reg but I was surprised as it seems to be a small aircraft for what must have been a fairly long haul route unless it was a one off visit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

it's difficult to read but PH-TE_
    - maybe this one
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...utterfield.jpg

edit: well it's hard to say, KLM operated 12 CV240, PH-TEA - TEM (but not TEJ) ???
    Last edited by wieesso; 27th March 2010 at 16:00.

I would hazard a guess at -TEF from looking at the full size photo.

KLM never uses the J in a registration sequence. The Q is also avoided. This to avoid confusion as they resemble an I or O. They do use these letters on other items though, an airplane model bought from KLM will have a registration ending with a J while the simulators at Schiphol sport a reg ending in Q.
    A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

Yes I would agree that PH-TEF looks possible. It's a long way from home thats for sure although I read over another forum that someone had flown in one to South America as a young boy and had his Junior KLM Log Book signed by the Captain.

PH-TEF....

I would also go for PH-TEF: just visible below the cockpit window is the first part of the name: It seems to me that it reads 'Frans' the rest of the name of famous Dutch painter 'Frans Hals' is probably hidden behind the door...

The photo is a nice find..! If there are other interesting ones: please keep them coming. Thanks for posting!

Aerovet

Aerovet - PH-TEF - good piece of detective work on the name. I have numerous pictures which I am just scanning in - it all takes time but there are a couple of Constellations which I will start a seperate thread with as it is obviously different subject matter to this thread.

Thanks... I must have learnt someting from all those British detective series

I am looking forward to the Connies...: the type is my all time favourite!

Greetz

Aerovet

PH-TEF Frans Hals Kano early 50s

Photoshopped the horizon etc....My guess is a charter to Shell Oil who were active in Nigeria....first thought was a ferry flight from Duch West Indies to Europe but Kano isn't on the route, is it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Longshot - you are right when you say Kano was not on the route to South America. The airlines and aircraft that came through Kano were either on their way to Lagos and sometimes Accra or going directly South towards the Congo and South Africa. I don't know what KLM were flying in those days but they have had a long time presence at Kano and I think they still fly there now. It could have been as you say a Shell charter as it seems a small aircraft to be flying such a long route from Amsterdam.

Thread Information