Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: No Flying Historic Aircraft at Duxford

No Flying Historic Aircraft at Duxford

If (IF) there were no flying aircraft at Duxford and it was simply a static museum.....would you still visit? Would they be able to afford to pay the costs for the aircraft to come in for flying at airshows? mmmmmm?

Are the flying exhibits THAT important?

Last time I was at Duxford there the only thing I saw go up was the B25 Grumpy, otherwise the only thing I saw moving was the Renault F1 2009 car which was doing some straight line testing.

Even with a full day there, there wasn't enough time to get round everything and can quite happily spend another day or two at the museum.

Depends on the airshow as to costs, the flying legends isn't run by the IWM but they do get a fee for use of facilites from the ticket sales, don't know the percentage for 2009 however. So clearly with an established show that can guarantee a certain level of ticket sales there doesn't seem to be an issue attracting a reasonable number of aircraft
    Push enough pixels around and it'll look like an aeroplane profile.

Sounds like an odd day out then!

But if the flying exhibits all left and based away from Duxford that would mean the Fighter Collection hangar empty, no ML407, no Sally B, no OFMC, no HAC etc.....would there still be enough for a day out? Do you think the museum has funds to buy in static aircraft to fill the gaps? And what more could they bring in that wasn't the same?

I've only ever visited Duxford for the excellent museums there, I've never been there for air shows, or flying displays, only ever seen flying there once when we were lucky enough to catch the C-54 and Constellation a few years back.

I'm sure it would survive very well as just museums, the American museum is unique in the UK and is a fantastic display and layout, the DAS airliners collection is also unique since BA withdrew from Cosford, and even the IWM exhibits are really well presented, all of this on a period airfield.
    I wonder how many average punters even know it is a site of flying historic aircraft before they turn up?

I personally would still be a regular visitor just for the museums, and haven't the slightest interest in attending the flying displays there.

Quote Originally Posted by Womanonthefence View Post
    Sounds like an odd day out then!
    Was a good day and the testing was the primary reason for going on that particular day.

Push enough pixels around and it'll look like an aeroplane profile.

I would - on a non airshow day anything that is flying is an added bonus but not the reason I go.

I guess you would need to ask how many of the hangers would be filled as a pure museum and not in use by TFC etc.

The land warfare museum is well worth a visit even if it lacks propellors and cockpits......it is a well planned exhibit in my view with some imagination added to bring it to life.
    You can teach monkies to fly better than that....

They would sell bits off to make up the funds yes id still go for a look but then it's no different to most days when there not practicing it's just a museum but a expensive one i prefer to only go when it's a airshow.

There is plenty of museums up and down the country with no airstrip that pull in custom.
    Im a straight talking yorkshire man i just say it as it is i don't fit in this politically correct world.

I have always believed that Duxford is just one fatality away from a flying, or at least an airshow ban, that fatality would of course be a driver on the M11............

So what would the impact of such a ban be?

1. I believe most of the airworthy aircraft would move away to alternative airfields from where they could continue operating - resulting in a reduced number and variety of aircraft on display.

2. No airshown revenue. I don't know how important this is to Duxford's funding but it would surely have an impact.

3. No more Classic Wings pleasure flights.

4. Lose of the kudos of being a 'fly museum' this might well have an impact upon Duxford's public image and therefore visitor numbers.

These are just a few initial thoughts, without doubt the atmosphere would change, with the lose of the live airfield feel. Wether this would cause me to stop going would depend up how the atmosphere changed and the quality of what was left.

Steve.
    Last edited by megalith; 26th February 2010 at 13:08.

I only go about once a year to Duxford. Airshows don't do alot for me. I believe aircraft should, fly not sit in hangers. I was invold with pleasure flying at Duxford in the past. It is nice to see aeroplane flying at Duxford. So yes i would still go.

Dave

As I understand it, the land on which the runway is based has been bought and is secure for the medium future, so Classic Wings pleasure flying should continue. If other owners pull out, the airfield is still going to be there and there is no reason why the IWM could not bring in the airshow acts as normal, subject to the usual fire and health requirements. I don't speak with any authority but I'm just going on what I've heard.

Having made my first visit there last week, after many years, I would go back again and again. It is one of the best air museums I have visited and it would make no difference whether there was flying or not.

A good question. If Duxford became "just" an IWM location with static exhibits ~ I would visit it about as often as I go to the RAF Museum at Hendon. Which is approx. once every 5 years.

The co-existence at Duxford of the IWM with active warbird operators means that even at this time of year there are things going on in the hangers.

Ongoing winter maintenance of Sally B / TFC / OFMC / Blenheim etc in the public gaze are a good reason to make repeat visits outside the airshow season. ( An excellent reason to be a Friend of Duxford ).

It's because things are always happening at Duxford outside those organised as "events" by the IWM that any visit can be a day to remember. All of this would be lost if the warbird operators were to move out.

How many visits have I made to Duxford so far this year ? Four ......
    Warbirdapps on facebook ~ every day a new image from my personal journey thru the world of warbirds ..... https://www.facebook.com/Warbirdapps

The "live" airframes make it for me.I pop into Duxford about once a month in the summer and sometimes don't bother going in the non flying hangars as like Hendon they don't change.A grounded aircraft covered in dust is a grounded aircraft covered in dust.

During the summer I usually get to Duxford at least once a month, often more. When I go, I rarely go into Airspace, the AAM, or the LWH.

During the winter I will probably go once or twice, because as a FOD I can and a walk breaks up the monotony. I go to Hendon about once a year.

The reason for the summer visits is you just don't know what you will see, always the potential excitement of a warbird, or at the very least practicing photo techniques on Classic Wings.

Thread Information