Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: BMI Baby a/c and staff reductions

BMI Baby a/c and staff reductions

Surprised nobody had picked this up yet,but news all over another forum since yesterday.
    Five out of seventeen a/c to go at lease ends (soon) and imminent staff reductions at MAN/BHX/CWL.
    In another glorious victory,MAN have already lost AGP and ALC from 14/11/09 with passengers being offered money back.All management there seem to have said is there are other airlines serving same destinations!
    I'd hope BHX and CWL (effects here could be disastrous) show rather more regret,and some concern for those losing their jobs just before Xmas.
    More expected at BMI mainline next week seemingly.
    Last edited by black kettle; 5th November 2009 at 14:05.

Quote Originally Posted by black kettle View Post
    In another glorious victory,MAN have already lost AGP and ALC from 14/11/09 with passengers being offered money back.
    "Victory"?

Paul
    My images on Flickr Jetphotos A.Net

Sorry Paul,assumed you'd understand!The airport have tended to refer to every other route loss (and,God, there have been some) as though it's been some sort of triumph.

B

Sorry Paul,assumed you'd understand!The airport have tended to refer to every other route loss (and,God, there have been some) as though it's been some sort of triumph.
    Ah, I see what you mean. To be honest in the case of Ryanair at MAN I can see why! There seems to be a tendancy for people to forget that airports are businesses as well and somehow also have to make money; why should they subsidise Ryanair and put themselves out of pocket?

I know it's been discussed before but I still say good on them for telling O'Leary to get stuffed!

Paul

Strangely it wasn't Ryanair I had in mind though you may think otherwise.They have been dismissive about EVERY loss since the big BA pull-out.They were about Delta to JFK recently as well.You may not have had the benefit of reading their response,as I have,to this latest one.Astonishing their reply was "these airports are served by other carriers".So no sad loss,then?
    Actually,MAN is by far my favourite airport (most accommodating to enthusiasts) in the UK.I simply can't understand they seem in denial about it's shocking decline in traffic.

I simply can't understand they seem in denial about it's shocking decline in traffic.
    Im not sure they're in denial but the downturn in traffic is more than evident. MAN is my second local and even 4-5 years ago when I started going there regularly the traffic was much more varied. It's very sad to see but maybe it's important to remember the lessening traffic isn't necessarily a result of the airports' actions; look at the number of airlines that used to operate from there in recent years that simply don't exist anymore. That isn't just MAN losing routes and operators, it's a huge number of airports. Very sad indeed.

Paul

All spot on but I think MAN does stand out as alarming in it's decline and no other management seems quite as dismissive about it.As I said the other day in a post,the CEO at BHX is on record as saying their stance against budget carriers has cost them dearly....perhaps even 10m passengers!!
    Surprised you're the only responder and no-one has commented on the sad news at Baby for whichI have a soft spot.

B

i know i speak as a tourist flyer, but it will be good when MAN can offer scheduled services to the Caribbean again, if you browse the holiday brochures now the likes of Antigua can only be accessed from Gatwick!
    BMI's MAN long haul service was 2nd to non, and the Vegas flights too.

Surprised you're the only responder and no-one has commented on the sad news at Baby for whichI have a soft spot.

As a regular flyer between MME and Germany, I certainly do not have a soft spot for baby. Having conned the management to change from Teesside to DTVA(everybody still calls it Teesside on the KLM flights), they then pull outof MME and elsewher(LBA?) to free up slots at LGW, then the parent pulls out for the same reason re flights to LHR

Thread Information