Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Hornets - good or bad?

Hornets - good or bad?

For the last 15 years I've had Hornets buzzing around my property, normally nesting in my wall near the Canberra cockpit.

This year they took over my shed in the garden behind my Spitfire. Their nest is situated above the door and is about 4 foot long, today they allowed me to open the door and have a look. The structure they have built on the inside is about the size of a football. It sounded like it was full.

I have never met such a well behaved (stinging!) insect as these are.

In the 15 years we co-existed, I have only been stung once and that was my fault as I stood on it with bare feet. It got me between my smallest toes and all I can say is it really hurt!

They allow humans as close as 3 feet before they take any real interest and then they just 'bump' into you and push you back. Unlike wasps I've never been hounded whilst eating jam butties in fact, they take an interest in the wasp!

I believe they are Wood hornets and although wary of them I have never had the inclination of moving them on. Wasps however..........

what would you do??

cheers

Baz
    Last edited by spitfireman; 29th January 2010 at 22:56.
    www.wallond.com

Can T22 WT525, Can B2 WD954, Vamp T11 XE921, Pilatus P2 A-125 (cockpits)

In nubibus & Royal Military Academy Sandhurst
    If it was in my garden "exterminate" but I guess it is up to the individual.
    Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude.

http://planemadanna.blogspot.co.uk/

The first quality needed is audacity

Definitely good!
    I got stung 3 times by wasps in the garden recently. Hurt like hell and took a while to go down but i still admire them, and that goes for Hornets too!
    Without wasps and their kind we'd be in a right mess!!
    What I know about planes you could write on the back of a beer mat, but I'm looking for bigger beer mats!
    My photos
    http://stumm47.deviantart.com/

When somebody stumbles in from the pub tonight and reads this thread...

...I hope they don’t think you have some Hornets stored in your shed behind your Spitfire and next to your Canberra cockpit! :diablo:
    WA$.

Baz

Leave them and co-exist for another 15 years, the thing about hornets is that by their very nature they are not aggresive, unlike the wasp. Even the wasp shouldn't be agressive so long as you leave them alone. Next time you have a wasp buzz round you if you let them pitch on you they'll have a "sniff" around and then fly away. They only get aggressive and sting if they are threatened.

Deano

I'll be honest and say they are safe for the next 15 years as they have never shown natural aggression towards me. However, the cat has to be separated from them now and then as she chases them around the garden.

I found some decapitated bees and a wasp near the nest this evening and it looks like they have hunted down all the spiders in the shed although it looks as though they didn't quite get it all their own way.

By the way, they hunt all night as well with the odd flight around the bedroom at 3 oclock in the morning in the pitch black. They buzz very loud when they're in the same room and I become very focused, very quickly indeed!

They seem to move to a new nest site every year and always within 50ft of my home. Once I know where they set up I usually avoid disturbing them for the rest of the year.

By the way, theres no lock on that shed.........it's well guarded.

Baz
    www.wallond.com

Quote Originally Posted by Creaking Door View Post
    When somebody stumbles in from the pub tonight and reads this thread...

...I hope they don’t think you have some Hornets stored in your shed behind your Spitfire and next to your Canberra cockpit! :diablo:
    www.wallond.com

Quote Originally Posted by spitfireman View Post
    They seem to move to a new nest site every year...
    In fact like wasps (but unlike honey bees) the whole colony will die by the middle of autumn; the new nest will be set up by a single offspring queen.

Fascinating things, insects.
    WA$.

If they aren't a bother, keep.
    If they are, kill. As above, they die in the next few weeks anyway.
    Wasps, needed by nature by NIMBY. Always exterminate those vicious basads.
    Hornets killing Bees....what, as a passtime or just those threatening the exclusion zone of the nest? I thought we were all encouraging Bees this year?

Wasps are tiny bits of evil with wings only made worse by the fact they are utterly stupid and very violent. Kind of like Jeremy Kyle guests, minus the wings of course.

If children are around, I would recommend "removing" the hornets, but otherwise it's up to you.
    2009 - the first year without any flights, the first year I lost a holiday, the first and last year I book the bloody Eurostar
    Louise

Quote Originally Posted by SOFTLAD View Post
    Wasps are tiny bits of evil with wings only made worse by the fact they are utterly stupid and very violent. Kind of like Jeremy Kyle guests, minus the wings of course.
    Now, now, Softlad. That's just not fair.

At least wasps actually have a purpose.
    You can't fool owls.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Area View Post
    Now, now, Softlad. That's just not fair.

At least wasps actually have a purpose.

Paul
    My images on Flickr Jetphotos A.Net

Thread Information