Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728 LastLast

Thread: What Book Are You Reading?

Hi All,
    Just started 'Winter Ghosts by Kate Moss', By turns thrilling, poignant and haunting, this is a story of two lives touched by war and transformed by courage.

The Great War took much more than lives.It robbed a generation of friends, lovers and futures. In Freddie Watson's case, it took his beloved brother and, at times, his peace of mind. Unable to cope with his grief, Freddie has spent much of the time since in a sanatorium. In the winter of 1928, still seeking resolution, Freddie is travelling through the French Pyrenees - another region that has seen too much bloodshed over the years. During a snowstorm, his car spins off the mountain road. Shaken, he stumbles into the woods, emerging by a tiny village.

There he meets Fabrissa, a beautiful local woman, also mourning a lost generation. Over the course of one night, Fabrissa and Freddie share their stories of remembrance and loss. By the time dawn breaks, he will have stumbled across a tragic mystery that goes back through the centuries. By turns thrilling, poignant and haunting, this is a story of two lives touched by war and transformed by courage.

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 18th August 2016 at 06:35.

Hi All,
    Just started the book 'Alien World" is a book edited by ufologist Peter Brookesmith, with several contributions by Hilary Evans from 1992, the following information below is courtesy of a review from a chap called Ashtar Command for Amazon.

The book looks like a collection of magazine articles. Indeed, the material was originally published in the British partwork magazine "The Unexplained". It's also part of a series of books called "Mysteries of Mind, Space and Time". At least in Sweden, "Alien World" was the first volume of this series, but I'm not sure in what order they were published in Britain or the United States. Today, "Mysteries of Mind, Space and Time" has been quietly forgotten, but both the books and the original magazine were very popular during the 1980's.

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 22nd August 2016 at 06:43.

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Rebel Without a Crew - Robert Rodriguez

Robert Rodriguez is the film director who made a film for $7000 and became a sensation almost overnight in Hollywood. This tells you the trials and tribulations of the cinematic release of his film, El Mariachi, and how he got to play with the big boys.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Just Finished Iron Road by William Gilmour (autobiography)
    I read it in book format but it is available as a free download on his website (the 'read' option did not work when I tried it but the download works as an almost instant 'read')

He left school at fourteen and started work as a locomotive engine cleaner at Shore Road depot in Stirling at the outbreak of World War II.
    Apart from five years’ service in the RAF as a wireless operator/airgunner, he spent his entire working life on the footplate of both steam and diesel locomotives.
    A really enjoyable book and unusual to have the twin interests of RAF and Railway - he lost 'seniority' by joining the RAF (railway work was a reserved occupation) and so although he qualified as a driver quickly post war - he did not become a full time driver for 25 +years .The book was published in 2009 - a bit of a slow starter but I did laugh out loud at some of the 'characters' in the book - especially the train crews

williamgilmour.co.uk
    Last edited by bazv; 26th August 2016 at 09:19.

Hi All,
    Reading the Wordsworth Classics series - Don Quixote - Miguel De Cerv Antes...

Don Quixote is a masterpiece of world fiction, a brilliant satire on traditional romances and an uproarious comedy and a prose-epic in a new genre for its time. Widely regarded as the world's first modern novel, and one of the funniest and most tragic books ever written, Don Quixote chronicles the famous picaresque adventures of the noble knight-errant Don Quixote de La Mancha and his faithful squire, Sancho Panza.

Don Quixote's mount is an old, bedraggled horse named Rocinante on which he travels through sixteenth-century Spain in search of adventure, dedicating his actions of valour to a simple country girl whom he calls Dulcinea, seeing her as his lady. He takes on spirits, evil enchanters and most famously, of course, giants in the form of windmills.Translated by J M Cohen, With an Afterword by Ned Halley.

Geoff.

3001: the Final Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke
    What I know about planes you could write on the back of a beer mat, but I'm looking for bigger beer mats!
    My photos
    http://stumm47.deviantart.com/

A good read
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Titan by Stephen Baxter
    What I know about planes you could write on the back of a beer mat, but I'm looking for bigger beer mats!
    My photos
    http://stumm47.deviantart.com/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	samurai1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	250718

Quite good so far.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Just re read after many years...

Flying Dutchman by Tony Fokker and Bruce Gould 1931.

Even the book is a nice little piece of history - it is an ex library book with Carnegie Trust +NLS stamps,also has its original loan card on the back page - 1931 Wigtown,1941 Shetland,1945 Kilmarnock,1974 Ayr.

George Washington's Secret Six...The spy ring that saved the American revolution.

The unpaid volunteers operating in British held New York City who fed information to the rebel forces after the same execution of Nathan Hale (arrested, tried and executed in less than 24 hours...and the UK denied him a meeting with clergy or a Bible). An interesting read on a very little-known part of the revolution.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Just finishing the third volume of Michael Palin's diaries "Travelling to Work"
    Terms & Conditions Apply.

"Engineers of Victory", Paul Kennedy, Penguin, ISBN 978-0-141-03609-0 £9.99.

This is a magnificent book about WW2 and the people who produced solutions to special, seemingly insoluble problems. It pays special attention to the development of the B29 and the Anglo American P51 Mustang. Mr. Kennedy writes about the role of the American Construction Battalions known eventually as the SeeBees. Without them, the war in the Pacific might have been very different.

The Eternal Zero - Naoki Hyakuta

A Japanese brother and sister research the history of their grandfather, regarded as a coward by all that flew with him.

Having seen the film numerous times, I figured it was about time I read the novel upon which it was based.

So far, so good.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

During the winter months - I am gradually working my way through some of my 'library'
    Last week re read Dustoff by CW 4 M J Novosel, Medal of Honor,DSC,DSM,DFC**, Bronze Star * and the Purple Heart.

At the age of 19, Novosel joined what was then the Army Air Corps. That was just ten months prior to Pearl Harbor, and by 1945, he was a captain flying B-29 Superfortress bombers in the war against Japan. He left the service for a brief time due to reductions in force after the war was over and settled in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, to raise his family.

Novosel joined the U.S. Air Force Reserves and went back on active duty to again serve his country during the Korean War. He left the service again in 1953 and was promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel in the Air Force Reserve in 1955.
    In 1963, Novosel was working as a commercial airline pilot when he decided to return to active military duty. By then, he was 41 and the Air Force did not have any need for active pilots of field grade rank. Novosel made the decision to give up his rank of lieutenant colonel in the Air Force to join the Army and fly helicopters as a chief warrant officer (CW4) with the elite Special Forces Aviation Section. He served his first tour in Vietnam flying medevac helicopters (Dustoff) with the 283rd Medical Detachment. His second tour in Vietnam was with the 82nd Medical Detachment. During that war, Novosel flew 2,543 missions and extracted 5,589 wounded personnel,His son also became a Dustoff pilot and flew with the same sqn,Mike Jr's heli was shot down and he was rescued by his father - the following week Michael J. Novosel, Jr. returned the favour by extracting his father after he was also shot down.[2]Just before Novosel snr originally had been scheduled to leave the army he was diagnosed with glaucoma which prevented him returning to commercial flying - so he remained in the army and had continued flying on a medical waiver.

[B]Nine Lives[B] = David Courtney. Just completed this interesting book detailing the author's life in the Irish air force and transition through Alouette 3, Gazelle, Dauphin and S-61 as a pilot involving many sea and land rescues!
    http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 11.6 times!

Just finished "Trust Me" a collection of John Updike short stories, and starting "The Great Stink of London" about how Sir Joseph Bazalgette transformed the city and the health of it's people by building the sewerage system still in use today (as well as many other achievements. One of the unsung heroes of Victorian Britain.

Morphett Vale, 30 Klm's south of Adelaide, South Australia
    "Down to a sunless sea" by David Graham. A giant airliner caught halfway across the Atlantic Ocean when a nuclear war wipes out every thing in front of them and behind them. Where to go.
    I can also recommend his "Sidewall" where airlines try to destroy a huge transatlantic passenger carrying hovercraft, as it will steal their passengers. This is very realistic as David Graham is a hover craft designer by trade.

Can recommend Sunless Sea, read it a long time ago and enjoyed it. Will have to look out for Sidewall!

Just completed 'Flight for Control' by Karlene Petitt, check out her bio, she really knows what she is talking and writing about (being a qualified airline pilot).

http://www.flightpodcast.com/karlene

Quote Originally Posted by Newforest View Post
    Can recommend Sunless Sea, read it a long time ago and enjoyed it. Will have to look out for Sidewall!

Just completed 'Flight for Control' by Karlene Petitt, check out her bio, she really knows what she is talking and writing about (being a qualified airline pilot).

http://www.flightpodcast.com/karlene
    Just Googled "Sunless Sea" as it sounds interesting, and came across this list of aviation-related novels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Aviation_novels

Well, that will keep us going to the end of the year! I am sure we could add a few of our own recommendations. Just ordered 'Sidewall' from the Big River, so have that to look forward to!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Green View Post
    "Engineers of Victory", Paul Kennedy, Penguin, ISBN 978-0-141-03609-0 £9.99.

This is a magnificent book about WW2 and the people who produced solutions to special, seemingly insoluble problems. It pays special attention to the development of the B29 and the Anglo American P51 Mustang. Mr. Kennedy writes about the role of the American Construction Battalions known eventually as the SeeBees. Without them, the war in the Pacific might have been very different.
    A very good book John, agreed. I've been fortunate to visit and stay at Port Heuneme, Ventura county in California and home to the SeeBees with a great museum too. As you say a significant impact in the Pacific war and often forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Newforest View Post
    Well, that will keep us going to the end of the year! I am sure we could add a few of our own recommendations. Just ordered 'Sidewall' from the Big River, so have that to look forward to!!
    Just ordered "Down to a sunless sea" Looking forward to it.

Felix The Railway Cat

The life and times (so far!) of internet cat Felix the Huddersfield Station Cat
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

"The Road past Mandalay". John Masters, Orion books. ISBN 978-0-3043-6157-1. £8.99

For any such as myself, who didn't know much about the 14th Army and the Burma/Malaya campaign against the Japanese in WW2, this book is a revelation and not for the squeamish.

The author writes explicitly and with intimate detail about his life as a Brigade Commander fighting in face to face contact with an implacable enemy, over what eventually became, an 800 mile front, from Kohima in the North to Rangoon in the South.

This book bares all. The terrain, the climate, the monsoon, the mud and slaughter are all exposed with an uncomfortable clarity. A superb account of the unendurable that was endured.

Met said cat last week as i was working in the station,she has her own Hi viz but is now on a diet as shes putting a bit of weight on due to being spoiled by the commuters.
    Quam bene vivas refert, non quam diu.

I follow her on Facebook.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Churchill, A Life by Martin Gilbert. An updated one volume book by the man who wrote the definitive six-volume work on the man.

Whether you like him or not, (and I've noted here that some have few good words to say about him...and Margaret Thatcher...thanks to parental and school indoctrination rather than independent thought), that anyone claiming an interest in 20th Century Britain probably needs to know Churchill and not just the caricatures of him.

A great deal of aviation content dealing with his flying lessons before and after WWI, and his work trying to get the UK to rearm in the 30s after it became clear to him that Germany was re-arming.
    Clement Atlee comes across like a German apologist/stooge saying in 1934 that Hitler's power was waning and calling Churchill's warnings "bellicose"after Germany broke the Versailles treaty he re-militarized the Rhineland.
    Last edited by J Boyle; 24th March 2017 at 04:48.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

About a quarter way through Mein Kampf, a very interesting read, sometimes hard to put down, was reading it till 4.00am last night.

JB….I find your comments regarding Churchill and Thatcher insulting in the extreme. There are millions, yes millions of people who detest Thatcher as a direct result of her political actions. To suggest this is simply “indoctrination” is fanciful.
    I do have friends who support the beatified ones premiership. Even they acknowledge that she can be construed as an individual whose opinions were divisive.

As for WSC, first of all thank goodness he along with Attlee stopped the Tory Lord Halifax gaining control and settling peace terms with Nazi Germany. Had that happened then the Third Reich would doubtless still exist.
    However, I for one will never forgive him for the way he prosecuted the Bomber war then as the war came towards an end, washed his hands of it and deserted Bomber Command, Harris and all those brave, brave men.

Thread Information