Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Thread: What Book Are You Reading?

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Warburton's War - Tony Spooner

Maverick reconnaissance pilot Adrian Warburton's life and career detailed in full.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

I just have to mention the following. I picked it up from a charity shop during one of the infrequent pauses allowed to me when Mrs. G is ferociously retailing.

Apart from the theme - about small boats, a life long interest of mine, the narrative took the reader on a quite amazing solo voyage of some two to three thousand miles along the canals and rivers of Europe starting in the North West of England and finishing in the Black Sea.

All the more startling when you learn that the author is proposing to make this odyssey in a ten foot long by four feet wide, ply wood, Mirror class dinghy. This is, or was, a very popular class of racing sailing dinghy designed to introduce small children into the ways of the sea generally and racing particularly.

This venture spectacularly defies belief. The young man, a teacher, stretches credulity beyond the point of ready acceptance. He triumphs over commercial locks, French peniches, the weather, near starvation, the raging Rhine. He crosses the busiest waterway in the world; the English Channel in a TEN feet dinghy. I felt vulnerable in a 30 footer !

The name of the book is "The unlikely voyage of Jack de Crow" by A.J. Mackinnon. Seafarer Books. ISBN 0-95381-805-5 £12.95.

This is a wonderful, wonderful read. Enthralling !

Spitfire Pilot by David Crook.

Crook's diaries about life on a Spitfire squadron during the Battle of Britain. Only just started it last night.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Few Survived", Edwyn Gray, published by Leo Cooper, ISBN 0-85052-499-7 £14.95.

This is a book about cold courage and technical development related to submarine manufacture, their service use and the loss of life associated with that. Among other matters, you're left wondering how and why men placed themselves in such jeopardy.

Just finished 'Wings on my sleeve' by Eric 'Winkle' Brown obviously long overdue as it was so enjoyable and probably reviewed here many times.

He flew 487 different types of aircraft, a world record surely never to be broken!
    http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 11.6 times!

The Big Show

Haven't read this classic in years. Mine is the full-length version, too.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Just finished, for the umpteenth time, 'Corporal Jacques of the Foreign Legion' by Henry de Vere Stacpoole, an author more well known for the 'Blue Lagoon'. A sentimental book for me as probably the second book I ever bought over fifty years ago. It was tatty then and has not improved in my world travels. Only learnt today that the author died and is buried in the Isle of Wight.

I have just started reading the fourth of Jonathan Sumption's Hundred Years War series, Cursed Kings

I can thoroughly recommend all four, provided you have plenty of time, as whilst they are eminently readable, they are doorstops.

Route 63 - Around England on a Free Bus Pass David Hadfield

I am reading this book about Steve Jobs and really enjoying it. I Like biography books, but unfortunately read mostly for work these days.

'TOSH' by Tosh Lavery! Who would call their son with this name? Anyway the book is autobiographical and the story of the deaths, dangers and drama of the Garda sub aqua unit which was formed in 1974, very interesting if a bit sad and gory.

"The Princess Diarist", by Carrie Fisher.
    A book of random mutterings mostly about her and Harrison Ford.
    Rantings of a mad women. Utter drivel.

"Engineers of Victory," Paul Kennedy, Penguin, ISBN 978-0-141-03609-0 £9. 99.

This is an account of how WW2 was organised and administered by the Allies and the Axis powers. Mr. Kennedy describes how important component parts that made up the whole were 'engineered' eg. facilitated or enabled by outstanding contributors.

Examples would be the initial rejection by the Americans of the P-51, the convoy system and the B29 Superfortress. Successes would number the Construction Battalions (SeaBees) the cavity magnetron and the Central Pacific campaign. Mr. Kennedy writes with an American slant that does not detract from the necessary appeal of his theme.

An excellent read.

Dunkirk - by Joshua Levine

Reading this before I go see the film.

Amazingly, I've never read much about Dunkirk previously!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

In limbo between Northamptonshire and Yorkshire
    I was recommended to try Peter James' Roy Grace books and have found they are "unputdownable"!!

Superb, highly recommended .

Sometimes it's better to be a bumblebee than it is to be Professor Heinkel.

Dunkirk, Sean Longden, Constable Press, ISBN 978-1-84529-520-5

Topically, this book is about Dunkirk, particularly its aftermath and what happened to the 40,000 or so British PoWs marched by the Germans into slavery and extreme hardship. This book is grim in detail and lacerating of the behaviour of the British Govt. towards the PoWs on their return to Blighty.

If there is a lesson to be drawn from the matters described in these books, it is never ever let yourself be taken prisoner.

Hi All,
    Well I have my reading head back took eight months to finally complete 'Don Quixote' - complete and unabridged just stalled more or less halfway through but now back on track.. Anyway four chapters into 'Standing The Final Watch' book 1 and loving it....

Geoff.

Thread Information