Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airspray(Colchester)Ltd

Brilliant info and pictures ! forgotten nostalgia. Anybody remember Management Aviation at Bourn who had a fleet of Hiller UH-12E helicopters for spraying. A pilot left one overnight opposite my house in Leasingham near Sleaford,Lincs in the late sixties. He had flown them when in the Royal Navy at Culdrose. It would have been stripped today !!
    Fly with the eagles,or scratch with the chickens.

Would G-ASOE be one of the Hillers, it doesn't seem to have any spray equipment fitted?

http://www.abpic.co.uk/popup.php?q=1157709
    http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 10.8 times!

Fison-Airwork Ltd. Bourn. Hillers, inc Agent for the FH.1100. Into BUA, 1960, on into Bristow and out of ag. Bourn site to Management Avn., their subsidiaries Rotortech Ltd. (still there making composites), and Bond Helicopters: Bo.105 and out of ag.

Laddie Marmol, ADS (Aerial), Southend: ST Pawnees; Cmelak G-AVZB now in Wroughton Science Mus;

Farm Avn, Rush Green also had Callair A.9 G-AVZA.

Aviaition Spraying Services, Ltd. Rochester, 1966, Ag-Cats G-ATVY, TVZ.

Newforest, The Hiller was in the G-AV?? range my memory has gone. There was a high attrition rate crop-spraying with helicopters.

I can recall seeing Hiller G-ATED around the Essex area a lot in the late 60s.
    Fisons had a base of some sort around the Boreham/Hatfield Peveral area and I often saw saw it parked up there-alongside the main railway line.
    Dont know of its eventual fate-although G-INFO shows it as destroyed.

The Fison Aiwork base in Essex was at Feering, alongside the main railway track, the first chopper to visit was a Westland S-51, fitted out for crop spraying, later the Hillers appeared in Fison Airwork colours, foillowed by Managment Aviation. Fisons pulled out and replaced by Fieldspray, who used different spraying companies.

Enclosed shots on G-AOFL, UH-12B and G-APOF UH-12C, all Fison Airwork in mid summer period 1959.Bell 47G-2 D-HOCO Deutsche Helicopters Diendst also used in June 1959. All at Feering base.

Another sprayer was Kolibrie NH H3 G-APRZ European Helicopters based at Ipswich Airport, seen here on old A12 Feering, loaded on transport trailer
    in August 1959

Nighthawk2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D-HOCO Docu0001.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	200.8 KB 
ID:	173664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G-AOFL Docu0001.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	173665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G-APOF Docu0001.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	173666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G-APRZ Docu0001.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	173667  

Thank you Nighthawk and contributors wonderful photo's of forgotten fleets.

Miller Aircraft

Hi folks, just joined the forum and happened across this thread. I have a few pictures taken in the late '70's when I worked for Pat Miller.
    The Pawnee in the first picture is spraying peas, that's Scunthorpe Steelworks in the background.
    Pawnee on the ground is at Manby.
    Ag Ct 'B' spraying rape also near Scunthorpe.
    Large spreader on last picture was for Nitrogen Fertilizer.
    All were taken with a standard 50mm lens (I had to duck!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img0000.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	175306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img0001.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	175307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AgCat.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	175309   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AgCatB1.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	175310  

Welcome to the Forum Hairyflier...........!!! Excellent photos.....

Planemike

G-AVKX was registered to Magement Aviation -5-71
    G-AVKY was registered to Management Aviation -12-75 then went to Agricopters -6-76

dh83

Yes, hairyflier, excellent and evocative shots. Planemike beat me to it but I second his welcome to the Forum.

Flew over Manby last year en route to North Coates and it still looks delightfully as I remember it, when I first went there over 40 years ago, in the days of Varsities IIRC.

Any flying going on there these days?

Wicked Willip :diablo:

Quote Originally Posted by T-21 View Post
    Great feedback chaps ,Farm Aviation later used Enstone and Little Staughton with Mike Pruden(Kings Cup DH Chipmunk winner)as boss. Cliff Annis was in charge of Lincs Aerial Spraying. Pat Miller survived a take off Pawnee incident at Boston and formed Miller Spraying at Wickenby becoming an Ag-Cat operator. There was a Cessna 188 operation out of Hardwick in Norfolk but the name escapes me. A whole book could be written on the UK crop spraying scene,now back to the original thread !
    A belated comment, but just been reading 'Six Feet Over - Pleasures and Perils of Aerial Crop Spraying' by Peter Charles, which is a well written and enjoyable insight into the world of crop spraying.

Starting his aviation career in the ATA as a ground engineer, he followed up as an LAE working for various airline and charter companies and was involved in the Berlin Airlift, before eventually emigrating to Australia and obtaining a CPL after learning to fly on Tiger Moths. The world of crop spraying beckoned and he experienced life in various countries, while the firms he flew for before starting his own firm Peter Charles (Airfarmers) included Crop Culture, ADS and Westwick Distributors.

Thoroughly recommended if you can get hold of a copy.

Wicked Willip :diablo:

Wasn't it Farm Aviation who operated a couple of Callair A-9's painted bright yellow. G-AVZA seems to ring a bell and there was another registered G-AW??. They were occassional visitors to Southend in the late 60's or early 70's.

The second Callair on the register was G-AWPT Callair B-1 < ex SE-EWA > sold in Ethiopia as ET-ADE July 79.

Planemike

I'm new to this forum. There are photos of 2 Airspray aircraft in my Album for you. Challenger G-ASSN and Tiger Moth G-APIG. I hope you can access them.

Del.

Thanks for posting them-good to see a SSN again especially.
    Seems a very long time ago now-when I last saw it (it was-40 plus at least!!).

A note about thye 47G-2 D-HOCO shown above:

I just noticed it's fitted with a 47D-style cabin. Unusual.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

As a kid I went up to Chilbolton airfield more than a few times, there was a solitary crop dusting aircraft kept in a hangar there. This was in the mid sixties, I cant recall more than that, I think it was high wing, maybe an auster? Any clues anyone??

Thank you for the photographs del1949.

Westwick

The name Westwick was mentioned in an earlier post and I was certain that I had a pic of one of their aircraft somewhere. I have tracked it down and find that it is of G-AVOO and was taken at RAF Swanton Morley (as was) in April 1970.

QP

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thread Information