Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dream: RAF VC10 return to civil life...

Dream: RAF VC10 return to civil life...

Flying historic airliner, is it possible ?

I have a dream...

like the idea

but i think you may have problems with noise regulations?

and engine certifications.... and licenced engineers...

You could always apply for lottery funding!:diablo: Runs for cover!

Martin

just out of interest, does anyone have any pics of the brize family day in the last couple of years, where a VC10 did a low pass and blew away all the spectators gazebos etc?

my dad was there and said it was hillarious

Thumbs up

I think it would be slightly simpler if the RAF painted one of theirs to represent one in BOAC colours before their retirement....

When I say simpler - doesn't mean it's likely to happen.... just comparative :diablo:
    Halfpenny Green Wings Wheels & Rotors Event Team
    Ex-RAF & Custodian of Hawker Hunter XF382 @ MAM
    Cotswold Airport Events Team

VC10 BOAC

It's probably the best solution for this dream...

The windy cabbage patch (AKA Home of the BBMF)
    First model kit I ever had (Built by my Old man) was an Airfix BOAC VC-10. Also ended up being my first ever Diorama, based on the below photo of Dawson's Field

(Must have been about 4 1/2 at the time).
    TWIN RAMJET POWERED MONOPLANE FIXER 1985 - 1989

Am i right in thinking the tail from the Dawsons Field aircraft was later salvaged by BOAC for spares, and significant parts ended up in another airframe...?

Zeb
    "I wish Bernard was here"
    "British Rocket Group has its own problems..."

If only the VC-10 could fly in the civvie world again! I'd love that.
    Y.N.W.A

On a lighter note, anybody remember the BOAC VC-10 film that was shown as a test transmission during the day on BBC2 in the late 60's to early 70's and has anybody got a copy of it??

Quote Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
    Am i right in thinking the tail from the Dawsons Field aircraft was later salvaged by BOAC for spares, and significant parts ended up in another airframe...?
    Zeb
    I would be surprised, must have been severely damaged falling to the ground, was it not G-ASGO, the hijacked 10 that ended up at Schiphol and was damaged but certainly not to that extent?

Nice painting Cloudpainter, one of yours?

yes, thank you very much for your message.

I saw a pair of VC10s flying in formation at low (ish) level on Tuesday south of Teeside. Simply awesome!

They were flying a zig-zag pattern. No idea why.

I like the painting Cloudpainter! What's the background, Wisley?

It would be nice if the RAF would paint an aircraft in BOAC colours before they retire them. Somehow I doubt that will happen though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebedee
    As far as I know you're right. You can see from the photo that the rear fuselage rests on the ground, the horizontal tail never touched the ground and was therefore not damaged. If you read the bit on this page under 'Doppler': http://www.vc10.net/Memories/radio_development.html there is some substantiation for that statement. As for G-ASGO, they may very well have re-used parts of that airframe as it was only lightly damaged but I have not found anything yet to support that. By that time the Standard VC10s were just leaving service so perhaps they didn't need that many spare parts.
    A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

If the powers that be have any respect for the UK’s aviation heritage, then to keep one of these beauties airworthy as part of the preservation movement must be a worthwhile consideration. In my view, the best looking jet airliner ever built – anywhere! With the demise of Concorde – is this once again the fastest jet airliner in the world?

I have no particular preference on livery or indeed sponsorship logos – all I know is that for generations to this day, the VC10 has provided a ‘lifeline’ to home for those of us who have worked overseas – often in hostile and unfriendly environments.

Maybe – with a bit of foresight - ie before all the jigs, tools and spares are broken up – this will be one aircraft that will not be allowed to just wither and die on the vine. Yes I know it would be costly to keep one flying and in the current climate that might be a tall order. I guess my point is that even if its too costly now – lets not pull the rug from under us but keep an airframe, spares etc in the hope that one day – after its OSD – somebody might come along with funding to get one back in the air. Q the accountants - concerned about storage charges and return on capital employed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nashio966 View Post
    like the idea

but i think you may have problems with noise regulations?
    And it's the ex-civvie VC10s that now bear the lest resemblance to an airliner!

What about something a little different...

Zeb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vc10-standard_ba.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	172749   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vc10-super_pa.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	172750  
    "I wish Bernard was here"
    "British Rocket Group has its own problems..."

...and, while the Vimy replica is still flying, how about a Vickers' flypast?

Vimy up front, VC-10 at rear - what's available to fill the space in between?

Roger Smith.
    A Blenheim, Beaufighter and Beaufort - together in one Museum. Who'd have thought that possible in 1967?

VC10 Promo Vid 1960s

heres a liitle VC10 Gem, I found on you tube,

Bloody Gorgeous.. if you havent seen it before ... Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiwsbMaTYoM
    coke cans a bottle tops

Quote Originally Posted by RPSmith View Post
    ...and, while the Vimy replica is still flying, how about a Vickers' flypast?

Vimy up front, VC-10 at rear - what's available to fill the space in between?

Roger Smith.
    Could a VC-10 fly that slow???? (or the Vimy fast enough for that matter)
    It is only kinky the first time...

Quote Originally Posted by cloudpainter View Post
    Flying historic airliner, is it possible ?
    If it can be done with a Victor, I'm sure a VC-10 is not totally impossible! :diablo:

Very nice picture, by the way!

Andy
    "Light travels faster than sound-that's why some people seem bright until they speak"
    AirTeamImages
    - the best aviation photography

Quote Originally Posted by Arm Waver View Post
    Could a VC-10 fly that slow???? (or the Vimy fast enough for that matter)
    Stall speed on the VC-10 is around 150-154knts (according to the engineers outside my office who have been ground running '109 for the last few hours!), from memory top speed of the Vimy rep is around 120mph?
    So in theory they could'nt maintain formation, but this can be got around by having the VC-10 approaching from different height from the rear and banking away after pics are taken.
    Desperately racking brain to see what other Vickers type could join the formation - scrapping the barrel but 'fraid it looks like the jolly old VS Spit!

Hopefully a VC-10 can be retired to Brunty and kept live at least.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGVERN1966 View Post
    On a lighter note, anybody remember the BOAC VC-10 film that was shown as a test transmission during the day on BBC2 in the late 60's to early 70's and has anybody got a copy of it??
    Found it on Youtube...

A Flight of Fancy.

In case you are interested there is a VC10 slated for the Duxford show in a couple of weeks i am assuming it is a flyby as the runway i dont think is long enough to take one as static.

curlyboy
    Goodness, Gracious Great Balls Of Fire

Quote Originally Posted by pagen01 View Post
    Stall speed on the VC-10 is around 150-154knts (according to the engineers outside my office who have been ground running '109 for the last few hours!), from memory top speed of the Vimy rep is around 120mph?
    The threshold speed of a very light VC10 is around 120kts, so in theory 135 -150kts with approach or land flap could be possible. Wouldn't necessarily be at all practicable or prudent.

Could make an interesting air to air sortie though.

pagen, arent you stationed at Raf St Athan?

Quote Originally Posted by pagen01 View Post
    So in theory they could'nt maintain formation, but this can be got around by having the VC-10 approaching from different height from the rear and banking away after pics are taken.
    Desperately racking brain to see what other Vickers type could join the formation - scrapping the barrel but 'fraid it looks like the jolly old VS Spit!

Hopefully a VC-10 can be retired to Brunty and kept live at least.
    Viscount, Vanguard (Any still flying?)

Quote Originally Posted by curlyboy View Post
    In case you are interested there is a VC10 slated for the Duxford show in a couple of weeks i am assuming it is a flyby as the runway i dont think is long enough to take one as static.

curlyboy
    The runway at DX hasn't been long enought since the M11 was built. Even something as samll as the Sea Vixen is not really happy there now.
    Believe it or not, now that the Tu-144 and Concorde are out of airliner service there would still be no airliner faster if they put the 10 back into airline service. IIRC a cruise speed of something like M 0.89 against about 0.82 for the fastest of the modern stuff.
    The mind once expanded by a new idea never returns to its original size.

Thread Information