Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: F-102 Weaponry

F-102 Weaponry

Was wondering if anyone could help me sort out which variants of the Falcon, that the Deuce carried operationally. I know it never carried the AIM-4F and AIM-4G (used by the F-106 I believe), but were all other variants available to the F-102, including the AIM-4E?
    Fox-4!

From a couple of sources...

THe A was radar guided, the B was IR and the C was an improved version of the B.
    The D were converted Cs with F-106-style "G" seekers.

In 4 books, I found no mention of the E...
    Last edited by J Boyle; 4th May 2009 at 04:21.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

As far as I can ascertain 3 AIM-4A radar guided and 3 AIM-4C IR. were carried. Also the AIM-26 nuclear tipped Falcon.
    Last edited by lindoug; 4th May 2009 at 08:15.

So did the AIM-4D then replace the AIM-4C, so that the F-102 carried AIM-4A and AIM-4D later in its service life. Does anyone have a solid reliable photo of the AIM-4E? Any confirmation on whether the Deuce carried this version or not?
    Fox-4!

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomII View Post
    So did the AIM-4D then replace the AIM-4C, so that the F-102 carried AIM-4A and AIM-4D later in its service life.

From what I can find, yes.
    D's were convirted C airframes.
    I imagine that As were kept around for radar guided duties.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

According to Wiki-waki,

In 1958 Hughes introduced a slightly enlarged version of the Falcon, initially dubbed Super Falcon, with a more powerful, longer-burning rocket engine, increasing speed and range. It had a larger warhead (28.7 lb / 13 kg) and better guidance systems. The SARH versions were GAR-3 (AIM-4E) and the improved GAR-3A (AIM-4F). The infrared version was the GAR-4A (AIM-4G). About 2,700 SARH missiles and 3,400 IR Super Falcons were produced, replacing most earlier versions of the weapon in service.
    The AIM-4F/AIM-4G Super Falcon remained in USAF and ANG service, primarily with F-102 Delta Dagger and F-106 Delta Dart interceptors, until the final retirement of the F-106 in 1988.

Place what credence on that you will...

Wiki-PNG labelled "AIM-4E":
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-4E_Falcon.png

From JBaugher's site:

The MG-3 fire-control system was replaced in the field by the improved MG-10 in most F-102As. More sophisticated and less troublesome versions of the Falcon air-to-air missile were fitted as they became available. Conversions were later performed which made the F-102A capable of launching the GAR-11 (later redesignated AIM-26A) nuclear-tipped Falcon. Ensuing modifications eventually made it possible to interchangeably carry AIM-26 and AIM-4 (GAR-1 through GAR-4 in pre-1962 designation schemes) Falcons in the central weapons bay.

By the end of 1958, 26 ADC squadrons were flying F-102As, and the F-102A had replaced the North American F-86D Sabre as the most numerous interceptor with the ADC. F-102As in service numbered 627, or about half of the total number of interceptors operated by the Air Defense Command. At the height of its service, 32 ADC units flew the F-102A. The last of 873 F-102As produced (serial number 57-909) was delivered in September of 1958.

A subsequent in-service modification program added an infrared sighting system for target acquisition, lock-on and completion of run. The infrared scanner was mounted in a transparent dome immediately in front of the pilot's windshield. The internal unguided rocket armament was deleted, and provisions were made for the carrying of later marks of the Falcon AAM such as the AIM-4E radar homer and the AIM-4F infrared homer.
    http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/f102_1.html

Note than Joe Baugher goofs, and labels the AIM-4F as an IR-homing missile, while it was actually the full production version of the radar-homing AIM-4E... the AIM-4G was the IR-homer.

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-4.html

In 1958, Hughes introduced an improved Falcon derivative, initially called the Super Falcon. The first Super Falcon to be developed was the SARH version, designated GAR-3. It had a longer-burning solid-fuel rocket motor for increased range and higher performance, and a slightly larger airframe with wing-root strakes. The HE warhead was also more powerful, but available sources provide widely differing weight data (between 3.9 kg (8.6 lb) and 13 kg (29 lb)). After only 300 GAR-3's had been built, it was superseded in 1959 by the GAR-3A. The GAR-3A had a new dual-thrust (boost/sustain) M46 rocket motor, and improved SARH guidance with increased accuracy and higher ECM resistance. About 3400 GAR-3A's were produced, and replaced the GAR-1D on most platforms.
    Last edited by Bager1968; 5th May 2009 at 04:31.

Well if that image is indeed an AIM-4E, then I would guess the Deuce never carried it. From what I understand the only larger Falcon variants it carried were the AIM-26A and AIM-26B (both SARH-guided weapons), and that required a redesign of the center weapons bay doors which caused deletion of half (i.e. 12) of the 70-mm rockets.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I'm fairly certain the Deuce didn't carry the AIM-4F or AIM-4G, and if so, then the AIM-4E (if it looked like it does in that image) probably wasn't an option either.
    Fox-4!

The AIM-4E/F was a direct replacement for the AIM-4B (GAR-1D).

As noted in my links/quotes, the F-102As were indeed modified to specifically carry the AIM-4F/G family... so the AIM-4E would have been a possibility, if they were kept around for very long.

Whether they actually did is what remains to be determined.

I thought the AIM-4F/G (and E) was too big for the Deuce's weapons bays. I mean the center bay had to be modified for the AIM-26A/B, and that variant wasn't even quite as big as the E/F/G variants was it?

Also, why would the AIM-4E/F variants (which were SARH models) replace the AIM-4B (which was IR-guided).....?
    Fox-4!

Quote Originally Posted by Bager1968 View Post
    The AIM-4E/F was a direct replacement for the AIM-4B (GAR-1D)

Just a partial oops... the AIM-4A was the GAR-1D, so I got the older designation right... the AIM-4B was the GAR-2, with the GAR-2A being the AIM-4C and the GAR-2B the AIM-4D.

from http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-4.html http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-26.html
    Data for GAR-1D/2A/2B (AIM-4A/C/D):
    model GAR-1D (AIM-4A)....GAR-2A/B (AIM-4C/D)
    Length 1.98 m (78 in).... 2.02 m (79.5 in)
    Wingspan 0.508 m (20 in) all
    Diameter 0.163 m (6.4 in) all
    Weight 54 kg (119 lb).... 61 kg (135 lb)

Data for GAR-3A/4A (AIM-4F/G):
    model GAR-3A (AIM-4F).... GAR-4A (AIM-4G)
    Length 2.18 m (85.8 in).... 2.06 m (81.1 in)
    Wingspan 0.61 m (24 in) all
    Diameter 0.168 m (6.6 in) all
    Weight 68 kg (150 lb).... 66 kg (145 lb)

Data for GAR-11 (AIM-26A):
    Length 2.14 m (84.2 in)
    Wingspan 0.620 m (24.4 in)
    Diameter 0.279 m (11 in)
    Weight 92 kg (203 lb)

Compared to the AIM-26A, which you agree the F-102 did carry, the AIM-4F is 1.6 inches longer, .4 inch narrower wingspan, 4.6 inches smaller diameter, and 53 pounds lighter.

I really doubt the 1.6 inch greater length was a barrier to carriage of the AIM-4F.
    Last edited by Bager1968; 5th May 2009 at 23:27.

A valid point, but the question is, if the F-102 carried the E/F/G variants, were they restricted to the center bay?

Additionally, the AIM-4D apparently went out of USAF service in 1973, while the Deuce didn't leave the inventory until good until 1976. So for the last three years, what IR Falcon did the F-102 carry? AIM-4G?
    Fox-4!

Anyone who knows me, knows I don't let threads die easily when I'm on a quest for information...
    Fox-4!

Also I'm curious as to what the F-101B carried in terms of Falcon versions. Anyone have info on this as well?
    Fox-4!

No Century Jet experts around?
    Fox-4!

F-102A and F-101B weaponry

Good evening,

I know that this is a very old thread, but if you are still there I think I can help.

As stated above, the F-102A carried only the AIM-4A through AIM-4D models. The AIM-4E, F, and G-models were restricted solely to the F-106. Not only were they slightly larger, but they were made to run on a different aircraft voltage, and were not interchangeable with the older missiles mounted on the F-101B and F-102A.

The AIM-4E was the initial radar-guided version of this series of improved Falcon missiles. It is distinguished by a conical white radome. This soon gave way to the much improved AIM-4F, which had an ogival radome as well as an "aerospike" (for lack of anything else to call it) similar to what is seen on Trident missiles. I would have to go and look at the Standard Missile Characteristics for each missile, but am pretty sure that the AIM-4F had improved range, speed, and homing ability. The AIM-4G was, of course, the IR version, and is distinguished by all-aspect capability, although within a very limited engagement envelope when compared to, say, the AIM-9M.

Beginning in the early 1960s, some F-102A aircraft were modified to carry the new, SARH homing AIM-26A, armed with a sub-kiloton W54 warhead of 0.25kT yield. These aircraft had provision for 2.75-inch FFARs removed from the center bay doors to accomodate the larger diameter missiles. With this modification, these aircraft could carry either the normal complement of six AIM-4A/B/C/D missiles, OR two AIM-26 in the center bay with the lateral bays empty. Lacking the capability to carry the AIR-2A Genie, the provision of the AIM-26A gave the F-102A a front-hemisphere engagement capability against high-altitude supersonic targets that it had previously lacked, and allowed the relatively low-performance F-102A to remain effective in its role until its retirement in the early 1970s.

With regard to the F-101B, "standard" armament, in addition to the pair of AIR-2 rockets, was a pair of either radar-guided AIM-4A or IR-guided AIM-4C. With the development of the AIM-4D and its expanded engagement envelope when compared to older versions, this became the standard Falcon armament for the F-101B until its retirement in the mid-1980s. According to a SAGE controller that I have corresponded with, Ken Mock, the large turboprop engines of the Tu-95 Bear presented a huge heat signature that allowed effective engagement, even from the front hemisphere.

I know that this is late and know that posting on old threads is frowned upon, but hope this helps.

Ron Easley
    Sacramento, CA

Thread Information