Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Stirling Bits

The indicator is proving to be an issue, so an identified replacement item would be nice

John

Is it practical to just replace the `Hot` face with and etched copy of the dial faces?

You can but I wouldn't dream of opening up a hot one in the first place and risk inhaling dust from it. What would you do with the old face then?
    (HINT: bury it in the garden :diablo

Only kidding, do NOT bury it in the garden.

I am doing a replica flap gauge for my Lancaster but starting from a non-luminous donor, I think this is the only sensible way.
    Last edited by smirky; 1st July 2010 at 22:33.

Are you just doing the Lanc instrument panel or flight deck area Smirky ?

Attachment 186224 Just been given this Fire Extinguisher mounting from one of the many Stirlings stored at Woburn Abbey. I thought these were a post-war fitting but looking through some crash relics I found part of one of these from a 1943 Stirling crash.has any one else seen these fitted to wartime bombers?
    Last edited by hindenburg; 23rd July 2010 at 20:28.

Martin,

A similar but slighty different one was found in the Whitley investigation also found during digs on Lancs and Halifaxes.

Hope that helps

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by hindenburg View Post
    Are you just doing the Lanc instrument panel or flight deck area Smirky ?
    Instrument panel for a start (nearly done, just the jettison, steering lever and labels to go - thanks for help with this). Quite fancy some windscreen frames and a nav table, panel, compartment next. All this could be loosely arranged together but I'm not sure I can manage the pilot's seat etc.

More than a panel, less than an aeroplane

Are you doing the panel with the autopilot on left of the pilot Smirky?

Yes, got the attitude control winder so going to do that one.

have you got the clutch lever and Control c**k lever as well Smirky ?...and the beacon and autopilot control box ?
    Last edited by hindenburg; 5th July 2010 at 21:25.

No, no, got Junction Box type 51, no Control Unit type 6, got call light.

So got all the common stuff but none of the rest

I`ll keep my eyes open for you.to be quite honest,the Mk 4 attitude control winder unit is probably the rarest bit of the lot !! A while back I bought a lot of type 6 control units brand new in their boxes from some chap called Ivan Smith,only got one left for my own project now sadly.
    Last edited by hindenburg; 4th July 2010 at 22:33.

Mine is probably a bit later date (no dates on it) with the smaller window for the numbers and marked with a pheon, still 6H/356 though. Saw a type 6 control unit on ebay a few months ago and it was green - never seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by hindenburg View Post
    Attachment 186224 Just been given this Fire Extinguisher mounting from one of the many Stirlings stored at Woburn Abbey. I thought these were a post-war fitting but looking through some crash relics I found part of one of these from a 1943 Stirling crash.has any one else seen these fitted to wartime bombers?
    Looks very similar to the wartime Gravinier fire extinguisher mountings in the nacelles of most British WWII aircraft. A few minor differences however - the bottom is squared off and there is a clamp at the top - dont recall seeing that before. I have some somewhere - i'll get some pics at some point

The units i`ve seen were always light blue,I had some in cast alloy and earlier ones with the box fabricated out of Brass Sheet...wish i`d kept a few !!!
    Last edited by hindenburg; 5th July 2010 at 21:27.

with a red stripe

That`s the one Smirky,no idea what the stripe is for!!.The bottom left hand of the unit should also have some sort of bowden cable driven device.In the `new units` these never seem to be fitted,just a `blank` hole with screw holes ??!!

Attachment 186295 Got one of these to go to the port side of the 1154/55... ARI something or other,got one illustrated in the Stirling A.P. but never found a photo of one fitted.
    Last edited by hindenburg; 11th July 2010 at 11:33.

Attachment 186296 this is the port side next to the pilot showing all the gubbins including the Auto pilot panel.
    Last edited by hindenburg; 30th July 2010 at 17:29.

Hi Martin

have you got a high res scan of that photo? If so can you send it to me please

Ta john

No probs .............will send it tomorrow

I have been given a copy of "AIR Training Corps GAZETTE" dated August, 1942.

Some interesting items in including "instruments of the Short Stirling" by G.Howard. Over 1+1/2 pages there are three views - drawings by GH.

The first is face on to the main panel with half of each control column on either side and the rudder pedals included. Second is the port side of the cockpit and the third the engineer's panel.

They are well drawn and each item is numbered in the usual way with accompanying lists.

Any interest if I can scan and post???

Roger Smith.
    A Blenheim, Beaufighter and Beaufort - together in one Museum. Who'd have thought that possible in 1967?

I would really appreciate that RPS.......pm sent Thankyou

Thanks Roger, PM sent also

John

Hindenburg and 12jaguar - have sent e-mails with attachments. Let me know if any problems.

Tried to upload onto here but wouldn't work.

Roger Smith
    A Blenheim, Beaufighter and Beaufort - together in one Museum. Who'd have thought that possible in 1967?

Thanks Roger

Scans recieved and appreciated

John

Martin and John,

Latest finds

One of you better come over here to to any measurements you wish

First pic are some of the flight engineers steam engine wheels
    second is what I believe to be part of the underwing surface (part of the mainspar is attached on the other side) and two pics of the brow section (don't know what else to call it).
    Strangely we have found various inside surfaces (including this brow section ) to have light blue colour, corrosion or primer. Any idea?

Cees
    Last edited by CeBro; 11th November 2010 at 18:27.

Interesting photos Cees.

I've never seen any pale blue primer/paint on the inside surfaces but then again I'm no expert, Pino and Martin are the men for that. The 'brow' section looks like it could be associated with the cockpit coupe, but I've not seen levers like those before. I'll forward the pic to Pino, he may well know.

John

Is the brow section the controls from the roof of the cockpit down the centerline? A very useful piece if it is.

Thread Information