Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Prestwick spotting

Prestwick spotting

Hey all,

This is a question for any spotters who have knowledge of PIK movements and spotting places. I am thinking of heading over on Wednesday (18/2) to PIK to do some spotting. My first question therefore is does anyone know in advance if there is going to be anything good in at PIK on that date? Now I am an Edinburgh man so anything involving a 747 however common it is at PIK would be interesting to me. Any ideas of what sort of airlines might be doing circuit training?

My second question is what might restrict me. I can only travel on public transport, therefore does anyone know of good places that would be accessible from a bus stop? I am obviously willing to walk a little bit if need be.

Thanks in advance

AJ
    Next flights:
    31/05/11 FR6621 EDI-TFS
    12/06/11 FR6622 TFS-EDI

08/07/11 BE682 EDI-BHD
    08/07/11 BE691 BHD-EDI

This old thread might help...

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/sho...twick+spotting

Best way to get to PIK by public transport is by train from Glasgow Central Station. The Prestwick Airport station is but a stone's throw from the terminal and a covered walkway will protect you from the elements as you cross the dual carriageway between the rail liine and airport.

Other than that, the best spots on foot are amongst the cargo handling buildings and the mound as described in that other thread. You could walk to the mound in about 20 minutes I'm guessing... I normally take the car.

Oh and I could be wrong because I haven't been for ages, but Thursday always seemed to be a good day for cargo (747) movements, check the official PIK website for the schedule. As for training flights, you just have to turn up and hope for the best, it's all very ad-hoc and the expression 'feast or famine' most certainly applies to spotting at PIK. You won't be stuck for the odd Ryanair 738 though, lol.
    Go n-ithe an cat thú, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat !

Have a look here as well...

http://www.egpk.com/
    Go n-ithe an cat thú, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat !

Thank you very much for the info guys. I shall get the train in and have a nose around, I have also studied the area on Google Earth which has proved a good idea!!
    Next flights:
    31/05/11 FR6621 EDI-TFS
    12/06/11 FR6622 TFS-EDI

08/07/11 BE682 EDI-BHD
    08/07/11 BE691 BHD-EDI

Thread Information